The Student Room Group

A Level Law Study Group 2022-2023

Welcome to the A-level Law Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications:
AQA - AS // A-level
OCR - AS/A-level (from 2017) // AS/A-Level (from 2020)
WJEC - AS/A-level

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:
Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:
Hi, i do AQA law and i have some struggles on the following;
Justice
Fault
Morality

My teacher just expect us to understand how they are all reflected, there isn’t much resources on this topic and i was wondering if there any advise on it?
Reply 3
Hi! I'm doing OCR law but I believe the main principles will be the same, it's just the wording of the exam questions that may differ.

I would recommend elawstudent / elawteacher resources for notes on each topic as well as in depth analysis of different cases. For justice and morality you may need to do some research on different theories for each including Aristotle, Marxism, Utilitarianism etc... If you have quizlet it may be an idea to see if there are flashcards on any topics you are unsure of. Hope this helps.
Original post by Deeelibra04
Hi, i do AQA law and i have some struggles on the following;
Justice
Fault
Morality

My teacher just expect us to understand how they are all reflected, there isn’t much resources on this topic and i was wondering if there any advise on it?
Hey, I don't do Law but my started starting A-Level Law this year, she's doing AQA and she's failing it right now and she wants to do law at uni, are there any tips y'all can give her to help her improve her grade?
Original post by JA03
Hey, I don't do Law but my started starting A-Level Law this year, she's doing AQA and she's failing it right now and she wants to do law at uni, are there any tips y'all can give her to help her improve her grade?

Try 'lawwithanna' on youtube! She uses the OCR spec but the principles are identical. I do AQA and she has helped me tremendously - defo give it a go if there are certain concepts/tests/cases you just find hard grasping!

Here's a link to the channel: https://www.youtube.com/@lawwithanna8528
Reply 6
Hey does anyone have notes or resources on OAPA, we rushed over it in my classes so most of it all got combined, many thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by Ar244
Hi! I'm doing OCR law but I believe the main principles will be the same, it's just the wording of the exam questions that may differ.

I would recommend elawstudent / elawteacher resources for notes on each topic as well as in depth analysis of different cases. For justice and morality you may need to do some research on different theories for each including Aristotle, Marxism, Utilitarianism etc... If you have quizlet it may be an idea to see if there are flashcards on any topics you are unsure of. Hope this helps.

Hi do you remember what came up on paper 1 law
has anyone got any tips for revision on the OCR law papers
Reply 9
Hi, I do OCR Law and I have some mocks coming up soon, does anyone have any revision tips or advice especially for contract Law as I have recently started the topic and it feels like there is so much to learn.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by jessiedonkey
has anyone got any tips for revision on the OCR law papers

Girl practice practice practice literally learn each topic and do a bunch of essays for your teacher to go over
Tips for revision:

(btw I do OCR A Level Law and do Contract law on p3 but im sure this applied to all exam boards)

Make individual mind maps of each topic and memorise them!!!

A level Law is all about understanding, memorising and applying that information to a question/scenario.

Most of your attention should go to Section B and the Evaluation q as it is worth 60/80 marks and is more important! You can use section A to just supplement your marks and it should be bottom of priority, unless your aiming for As and A*s, where you need to do equally well on section a too to achieve those grades.

For Section B:
make a mind map on each topic or however you can memorise best e.g. i highlight and make my mind maps colourful so it sticks in my mind better). Then do that same mind map on a fresh sheet of paper and mark and fill in anything youve missed in a different colour. Practice that again and again and again until there is absolutely no other colour and everything is in black so youve memorised it perfectly. Then practice doing an essay on that topic.

E.g. learn the non-fatal offences and then do an essay on non-fatals from a past paper (preferably in timed conditions).

You need to be able to apply all the A01 (knowledge) decently as for 20 mark scenario qs, A01 = 8 marks A02 = 12 marks. Most of the A02 for crime and tort is literally just a few sentences, and they are generally the easier papers.
Contract law is much harder in that the A01 is smaller and nearly is purely made of cases 😭 so the A02 for contract questions has to be much chunkier and more detailed. Contract is the hardest paper so dont worry if its not your strongest - its not for most people.

For Evaluation 20 markers:
I just memorise them by practising writing them till perfection (even tho its alot 😭) and as a more passive method when im tired of writing or active recall: by writing the main points of each paragraph on flashcards and reciting them out loud.

For Section A:
You really just need a solid understanding of the topics enough that you can still get a good amount of marks and dont need to memorise much. Realistically, it should be bottom of priority for paper 1&2 as its only worth 20 marks total and theres too many topics to cover it all properly tbh. Even 10 marks from section A can supplement and push your grades up much higher!

For struggling students: focus on the evaluations and section b as they are worth 60/80 marks and you can still get a B from those alone. You can probably pull out a few marks in from section a if you can waffle lol.

For paper 3: it is the hardest paper so dont be too worried if its much weaker than the others. Ensure you learn ALL sections of paper 3 really well as they are all just as important and lengthy and hard to pull marks from!

Law is really just a memory and writing speed test once you understand a topic well enough that you can apply it to a scenario.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Evil Homer
Welcome to the A-level Law Study Group! :woo:
This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer
What can I do in these groups?
Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:
What can't I do in these groups?
Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:
Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!
> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)
> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?
> What areas are you struggling with a little?
> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?
Specifications:
AQA - AS // A-level
OCR - AS/A-level (from 2017) // AS/A-Level (from 2020)
WJEC - AS/A-level
Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:

Hy,

Very useful content
Reply 13
anyone doing the OCR A-Level Law spec (CONTRACT) know what the contract essay was last year ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending