The Student Room Group

A-level Sociology Study Group 2022-2023

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Kyle P
Was it supposed to be on it? Like is it an error? Cause I swear the question wasn’t liked to anything in the family at all.

It was quite a vague question, but it won’t have been an error papers are checked very thoroughly. It linked to migration as female migrants tend to do more domestic labour, and domestic labour can include both service work as well as housework! It was definitely meant to be there dw :smile:

ETA the analysis 10 markers in particular also are rarely something directly in the textbook like a 20 marker is they’re about thinking laterally across topics as well as using your own knowledge of contemporary society!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 81
Original post by rwnsl
It was quite a vague question, but it won’t have been an error papers are checked very thoroughly. It linked to migration as female migrants tend to do more domestic labour, and domestic labour can include both service work as well as housework! It was definitely meant to be there dw :smile:

ETA the analysis 10 markers in particular also are rarely something directly in the textbook like a 20 marker is they’re about thinking laterally across topics as well as using your own knowledge of contemporary society!

Wow everyone I've talked to after the exams were so confused over this question haha none of us thought of this.
Reply 82
Original post by Kyle P
Wow everyone I've talked to after the exams were so confused over this question haha none of us thought of this.

it was definitely a bit of a vague question i tgibk lots of people wrote about migrants primarily doing domestic labour for that part of the item! i did also mention the feminisation of migration more generally. and for the technological sentence i wrote about tech developments being faster and more accessible due to globalisation, and that affects domestic labour because it becomes automated essentially
Reply 83
Original post by rwnsl
it was definitely a bit of a vague question i tgibk lots of people wrote about migrants primarily doing domestic labour for that part of the item! i did also mention the feminisation of migration more generally. and for the technological sentence i wrote about tech developments being faster and more accessible due to globalisation, and that affects domestic labour because it becomes automated essentially

I did mention technology and its impact on the work force so I at least got something right lol but I didn't think about immigrant woman and I don't think many correctly answered this question cause wow it was so vague haha
Reply 84
Original post by e_Ikeaa
how did you find today! I actually kept to my timings so well so i’m beyond happy

i loved the questions really was not expecting a 20 marker on interviews but it was so good and yeah timings were great as well! glad to hear it went well for you
Original post by m184
i loved the questions really was not expecting a 20 marker on interviews but it was so good and yeah timings were great as well! glad to hear it went well for you

guys does anyone have as level sociology notes simplified or any apps and websites that have notes ?
I am doing sociology for a levels and i am stuck on a C and i am trying to get an A in the year 13 mock, any revision tips, so far i am thinking of making flashcards for each topic- with key studies and theories and just active recall those but idk what else i am really confused
Original post by Sparklingroses
I am doing sociology for a levels and i am stuck on a C and i am trying to get an A in the year 13 mock, any revision tips, so far i am thinking of making flashcards for each topic- with key studies and theories and just active recall those but idk what else i am really confused

😭 Oh god yeha it's rly not easy no note making is the best u just have the understand the topic is why I've been told by my teachers u can't memorize or mug it up I won't help n ig whebever ur learning each topic learn the sociologists with the topic so when u write ur answers uk like ok for example anderson said smth about society n etc or parson said smth about families or parson disagrees with Marxist theory n all that and yeah the way u write matters the most btw r u doing the blue book ?light blue Jonathan blundell oh and do you have any idea where I can find any summarised notes ?for as level cause im giving my as level in October this year so if yes pls lmk oh and yeha watch YouTube videos they also help a lot crashcourse n all ig just to get stuff stuck in ur head 😭 is all I can say other than that it's hardwork no option ngl
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by marilyn-05
😭 Oh god yeha it's rly not easy no note making is the best u just have the understand the topic is why I've been told by my teachers u can't memorize or mug it up I won't help n ig whebever ur learning each topic learn the sociologists with the topic so when u write ur answers uk like ok for example anderson said smth about society n etc or parson said smth about families or parson disagrees with Marxist theory n all that and yeah the way u write matters the most btw r u doing the blue book ?light blue Jonathan blundell oh and do you have any idea where I can find any summarised notes ?for as level cause im giving my as level in October this year so if yes pls lmk oh and yeha watch YouTube videos they also help a lot crashcourse n all ig just to get stuff stuck in ur head 😭 is all I can say other than that it's hardwork no option ngl

I use the aqa a level sociology textbook so far the orange one, and are you going into year 12?
Original post by Sparklingroses
I use the aqa a level sociology textbook so far the orange one, and are you going into year 12?

oh no this year im goint to year 13 this sepmeber but im giving my as level for sociology like year 12 in october casue since it was self study i didnt give it in may june session i wanted to give it in like october so yeh wht r ur topics?
The topics I do are education, families and households, research methods and crime and deviance
Oh right okie yeh I do family too n research methods these r 2 but the others no
Reply 92
For those who inevitably look here next year:

If you pop me a PM, I'm happy to provide any notes/essay examples/tips for next year's exam cohort! I received straight A*s all throughout the 2 years (with all but around 2 essays being full marks), and just received an A* in my A Level! I received 234/240 marks, with an A* being 185 marks this year. I'm lucky that despite having gone to a not-great college I had a super supportive teacher who provided great resources, and I still have all of my notes and essays from throughout my A Levels, as well as my exam scripts from this year.

I'd love to give back to the community, as I no longer need my notes myself!

(As a heads up - my optional topics were Families and Beliefs, and I did AQA!)
Reply 93
Original post by rwnsl
For those who inevitably look here next year:

If you pop me a PM, I'm happy to provide any notes/essay examples/tips for next year's exam cohort! I received straight A*s all throughout the 2 years (with all but around 2 essays being full marks), and just received an A* in my A Level! I received 234/240 marks, with an A* being 185 marks this year. I'm lucky that despite having gone to a not-great college I had a super supportive teacher who provided great resources, and I still have all of my notes and essays from throughout my A Levels, as well as my exam scripts from this year.

I'd love to give back to the community, as I no longer need my notes myself!

(As a heads up - my optional topics were Families and Beliefs, and I did AQA!)

congrats!!
Reply 94
i also ended up with an A* (276/300) this year and am happy to offer notes and advice for anyone taking Eduqas sociology (family, education and crime as well as compulsory units) since our exams are quite different!! best of luck to incoming y13s 😁
guys does anyone have as level sociology notes simplified or any apps and websites that have notes ?

Study smarter is actually really useful for sociology. The only thing i would say is to use quizlet on each topic for the people such as Althuser and Becker. I have honestly found it so useful. If you have quizlet plus they do magic notes which are also useful. I can give you my quizlet handle if you want. I don't have a lot on there at the minute but I do have some flashcards that I have made for media if you take that one. I do fmailes, education, media and crime and deviance

revise sociology is the best thing I have used for my notes because it has everything i need on it. I feel it has all the notes you will ever need. I would also advise if you can, have the notes before the lesson and then you can annotate extra information that your teachers add as I find this the best way for me for sociology
Original post by Evil Homer
Welcome to the A-level Sociology Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications:

AQA - Sociology 7192

OCR- Sociology H580

WJEC - Sociology

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:

none of the boards tho im doing cambridge CIE 😭
Original post by Evil Homer
Welcome to the A-level Sociology Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications:

AQA - Sociology 7192

OCR- Sociology H580

WJEC - Sociology

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:

Please can someone help me with this religion 20 marker.

Applying material from Item J and your knowledge, evaluate the problems that 20
sociologists may face when defining and measuring religious belief and practice.
Item J:
Defining religious belief and practice often creates problems. Some sociologists argue that religion should be defined in terms of its belief in a higher power. However, others argue that it should instead be defined in terms of the social role the belief system plays.
Measuring religious belief and practice can also pose problems. Whilst many individuals may claim to hold religious beliefs, the way they practise these beliefs may be difficult for sociologists to measure.”
Original post by mnndcbhehegd
Please can someone help me with this religion 20 marker.

Applying material from Item J and your knowledge, evaluate the problems that 20
sociologists may face when defining and measuring religious belief and practice.
Item J:
Defining religious belief and practice often creates problems. Some sociologists argue that religion should be defined in terms of its belief in a higher power. However, others argue that it should instead be defined in terms of the social role the belief system plays.
Measuring religious belief and practice can also pose problems. Whilst many individuals may claim to hold religious beliefs, the way they practise these beliefs may be difficult for sociologists to measure.”

In terms of structure, the information tells you to think about two 10-mark sections:

[justify]1. How we define religious belief and practice.[/justify]
The information suggests two ways:
Immanent - religion is about a belief in God etc.
Functional - religion is about functions it performs for the individual and society.

2. How to measure religious beliefs and practices
Again, information suggests two ideas to consider:
How do we measure individual beliefs?
How do we measure different religious practices (e.g. praying alone or praying in Church).

For each section start by writing a paragraph on each of the two ideas.
Write a concluding paragraph for each of the two sections.

This should mean you’ve written enough to cover 20 marks.
If you don’t think you’ve done enough revisit each section and see where you can add further ideas / information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending