The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Study Group 2022-2023

Welcome to the GCSE Maths Study Group!

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your GCSE exams this summer.

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications and Advance Information:

AQA Spec

Edexcel Spec

OCR Spec

Eduqas Spec

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this!
Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:
Just joined the H Tier for Mathematics AQA!
Original post by thebgradestudent
Just joined the H Tier for Mathematics AQA!

Hey congratulations :smile: How you feeling about the exams in the summer?
Bit nervous. But I think I'll be ok! I just started revising.
Original post by Evil Homer
Hey congratulations :smile: How you feeling about the exams in the summer?
2d21d1d.PNGhelp
Original post by jack_ray13
2d21d1d.PNGhelp

How did you gain access to these papers? Is there a link or something? Lol thanks
Wait. What is h? Was this mentioned in part a?
2d21d1d.PNGhelp
I'm fairly confident with GCSE Maths. I mostly use resources like MathsGenie and CorbettMaths, but I also get random past papers from different websites. I usually skip to the end as that's where most of the hard stuff is so that I can have more practice on those and I mark them with the mark scheme obviously, but when I don't get the answer itself, I just search the question up and there's usually a worked out example somewhere (eg. Gauthmath)
Tips for moving from an 8 to a 9?
Original post by propergoodman

practice practice practice, Past paper questions. Best way to get a 9 in maths
Hi there, I’m a student studying Maths for GCSE at Edexcel
Original post by AlishaDaisy
Hi there, I’m a student studying Maths for GCSE at Edexcel

what grade yo working at? i do edexcel and trying to move from 8 to 9. Any tips? :smile:
Original post by propergoodman

Keep studying until you find every single question in the paper easy there may be 1 or possibly 2 questions that are tough but if you want to get at least 65/80 which is often the minimun for a grade 9 you need to find every question easy as you will still make human mistakes
How can I get a 9 in maths in this limited time span?
edit: I usually get a 7 -8
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by selenyildiz

Probs too late
Reply 16
Original post by selenyildiz

It is not too late. Read every question. I myself have got 7s and 8s (occasionally - i usually get 9's) because I didn't check my answers and read the question on the early question. Make sure you know all you topics. It's ok if you can't the really hard stuff at the back, just try to get method marks out of the paper. And remember not matter how this paper goes you still have 2 more after half-term. I'm sure you'll be fine though since this year, the exam boards are being extra lenient on question difficulty.
Reply 17
2d21d1d.PNGhelp

Try working out l in terms of r, by setting the surface area of the whole cone (base and curved surface) and the surface area of the sphere equal. Then work out h in terms of l and r using Pythagoras. You can then use l in terms of r (which you worked out at the start) in h so you have h as a surd in terms of r. From there you can see what the ratio of r to h is.

Quick Reply

Latest