The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Is applying for Leeds a long shot?

I'm interested in the Economics Bsc that University of Leeds offer although i dont reach the GCSE Maths result. I need a 7 in Maths and i recieved a 5 however i am resitting my maths GCSE due to the economic circumstances i struggled during those years. I wont be receiving that result until end of 2023 and need to send my application in for Jan 2023 deadline.

My GCSE results are mainly 5s and 6s however im predicted to recieve a D*D*D- DDD result within my BTEC National Extended Diploma in Business,Finance and Management and have academically improved since GCSEs.

I'm trying to point out the negatives towards my application to see if these are applicable to be selected during screening.

Is it worth risking to apply for Leeds or shall i just use my choices wisely?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JPF6
I'm interested in the Economics Bsc that University of Leeds offer although i dont reach the GCSE Maths result. I need a 7 in Maths and i recieved a 5 however i am resitting my maths GCSE due to the economic circumstances i struggled during those years. I wont be receiving that result until end of 2023 and need to apply for Jan 2023.

My GCSE results are mainly 5s and 6s however im predicted to recieve a D*D*D- DDD result within my BTEC National Extended Diploma in Business,Finance and Management and have academically improved since GCSEs.

I'm trying to point out the negatives towards my application to see if these are applicable to be selected during screening.

No, GCSE grades are normally fixed - why not wait until you've got the Maths grade?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
No harm in having one or two aspirational choices. If they want to make you an offer, they'll just include a condition to meet the GCSE Maths requirement in your retake.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
No, GCSE grades are normally fixed - why not wait until you've got the Maths grade?

I've contacted Leeds to query if they accept GCSE retakes during the application and they accept it if i state it as 'Pending' on UCAS, so i dont see why i would wait another year to apply when the only difference would be either recieving a conditional and unconditional offer.
Original post by JPF6
I'm interested in the Economics Bsc that University of Leeds offer although i dont reach the GCSE Maths result. I need a 7 in Maths and i recieved a 5 however i am resitting my maths GCSE due to the economic circumstances i struggled during those years. I wont be receiving that result until end of 2023 and need to apply for Jan 2023.

I would say still apply the worst they can do is say no. You can email any universities admissions office to ask if they would accept you with those grades. Maybe find the relevant email and just ask.
Original post by JPF6
I've contacted Leeds to query if they accept GCSE retakes during the application and they accept it if i state it as 'Pending' on UCAS, so i dont see why i would wait another year to apply when the only difference would be either recieving a conditional and unconditional offer.

You said you were applying for Jan 2023 - do you mean for a course starting in Sept/Oct 2023?

Perhaps you mean you will get your Maths grade in August not the end of the year?
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
You said you were applying for Jan 2023 - do you mean for a course starting in Sept/Oct 2023?

Perhaps you mean you will get your Maths grade in August not the end of the year?

Yes, im sorry i worded it incorrectly, the deadline for the application is January 2023 and looking to apply for the Sept/Oct 2023 course.
Original post by JPF6
Yes, im sorry i worded it incorrectly, the deadline for the application is January 2023 and looking to apply for the Sept/Oct 2023 course.

OK so your offer, if you get one, will have the GCSE grade as part of it - not ideal as this means your place won't be confirmed until a week after A levels.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Would this put me at a disadvantage compared to the other applicants?
Original post by JPF6
Would this put me at a disadvantage compared to the other applicants?

No, your place would still be confirmed if you met the offer in full. You would just be less likely to find a place in clearing (if needs be) as many courses will have closed during that first week whilst you were waiting for your GCSE results.
Original post by JPF6
I'm interested in the Economics Bsc that University of Leeds offer although i dont reach the GCSE Maths result. I need a 7 in Maths and i recieved a 5 however i am resitting my maths GCSE due to the economic circumstances i struggled during those years. I wont be receiving that result until end of 2023 and need to send my application in for Jan 2023 deadline.

Just do it mate. I did BTECs and used up most of my options applying to lower ranked unis because I didn't think I'd get a Russell Group. I put uni of Southampton just to see what would happen and I got it. Just try! only use 1/2 options for lower ranked unis because with DDD-D*D*D* you'll easily get an offer from them, and then put a handful of Russell Groups cus why not.
Reply 11
Original post by nvie4321
Just do it mate. I did BTECs and used up most of my options applying to lower ranked unis because I didn't think I'd get a Russell Group. I put uni of Southampton just to see what would happen and I got it. Just try! only use 1/2 options for lower ranked unis because with DDD-D*D*D* you'll easily get an offer from them, and then put a handful of Russell Groups cus why not.

I threw in a few Russell Groups because of this, ive now got an offer from Newcastle and still waiting for Leeds to reply
Reply 12
Original post by JPF6
I threw in a few Russell Groups because of this, ive now got an offer from Newcastle and still waiting for Leeds to reply

Glad to hear it mate; Newcastle is a good uni and very lively city. Good luck with Leeds but having Newcastle is a very good option! Well done.
Reply 13
Original post by nvie4321
Glad to hear it mate; Newcastle is a good uni and very lively city. Good luck with Leeds but having Newcastle is a very good option! Well done.

I received an offer from Leeds on condition i get a 7 in Maths. However, going to be honest, i rejected the offer from Newcastle as i’m from South and would be too much hassle and have insured UEA as i believe their economics department is much stronger and they target their studies on behavioural economics which is my favourite part of economics so it would be more suited to me.

Quick Reply

Latest