The Student Room Group

Physics or computer science

I was quite sure I wanted to do physics but now at the last second, I'm being swayed towards computer science and not sure what to do as I've already made the personnel statement and wouldn't have much to write for computer science as I haven't really done any programming projects or work experience for it. I would appreciate any advice.
You don't need programming work experience to apply for a computer science degree. Maybe there is a project that you're doing right now. It could literally be anything, whether it's building a website, creating a video game or even coding a simple console application. My advice is for you to start coding ASAP and try to work on your own personal projects and then mention them in your personal statement. They don't have to be finished but just say that this is what you're doing now and say why you love it and how this relates to your computer science course at uni. Also, join some coding bootcamps to improve your coding skills and also mention them in your personal statement. Have a go at writing a new personal statement and then ask for feedback quickly. You don't have much time, so if you really want to apply for this course then you need to act very quickly. If something fails then you'll still have a good physics personal statement. Equally, if you really want to do computer science, you can take a gap year and reapply next year when you have a bit more experience in coding and have written a much stronger personal statement. Good luck.
Computer science isn’t “about” coding, but it’s definitely something that you can practise and develop projects in a short time. (You can learn basics an a week, and you can get a lot done with just the basics).

Considering how you have a short time period, I also recommend trying to build a simple program and highlight the problem solving skills, logic and research skills that you used/developed by undertaking the task. You can make a solid paragraph for your personal statement after one week.

As I mentioned though, coding isn’t the only aspect of computer science. Read a 5-10 minute article on a new technology or technique, or watch a 5-10 minute video on YouTube to get ideas about other areas of computer science and maybe it will lead to down a rabbit hole where you discover more and more. All the information in the world is on the internet, it’s just up to you to look for it
Original post by DaydreamLagoon
Computer science isn’t “about” coding, but it’s definitely something that you can practise and develop projects in a short time. (You can learn basics an a week, and you can get a lot done with just the basics).

Considering how you have a short time period, I also recommend trying to build a simple program and highlight the problem solving skills, logic and research skills that you used/developed by undertaking the task. You can make a solid paragraph for your personal statement after one week.

As I mentioned though, coding isn’t the only aspect of computer science. Read a 5-10 minute article on a new technology or technique, or watch a 5-10 minute video on YouTube to get ideas about other areas of computer science and maybe it will lead to down a rabbit hole where you discover more and more. All the information in the world is on the internet, it’s just up to you to look for it

would you say a physics work experience where I used python for data analysis would be worth mentioning?
Original post by username6049980
You don't need programming work experience to apply for a computer science degree. Maybe there is a project that you're doing right now. It could literally be anything, whether it's building a website, creating a video game or even coding a simple console application. My advice is for you to start coding ASAP and try to work on your own personal projects and then mention them in your personal statement. They don't have to be finished but just say that this is what you're doing now and say why you love it and how this relates to your computer science course at uni. Also, join some coding bootcamps to improve your coding skills and also mention them in your personal statement. Have a go at writing a new personal statement and then ask for feedback quickly. You don't have much time, so if you really want to apply for this course then you need to act very quickly. If something fails then you'll still have a good physics personal statement. Equally, if you really want to do computer science, you can take a gap year and reapply next year when you have a bit more experience in coding and have written a much stronger personal statement. Good luck.

are there any boot camps you recommend?
Original post by Chronos2005
would you say a physics work experience where I used python for data analysis would be worth mentioning?

That would be perfect!
I recommend the book 'Python Crash Course' for learning the basics with Python. It worked really well for me and there's even projects at the end to learn through step by step as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending