The Student Room Group

A-level Further Maths Study Group 2022

Welcome to the A-level Further Maths Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

specifications:

Edexcel - A-level
AQA - A-level
OCR - A-level

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:
Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:
Just tagging in those that requested this group! @m1d45 & @Michelle Zhou. Sorry for the delay in getting this set up for you :smile:
Hey anyone studying Edexcel Further Maths?
I feeling good about the applied modules M1 D1 but core pure is definitely something I'm struggling with. Finding it hard as we are studying maths alevel at same time not in yet 12. Is anyone having this problem??
Reply 4
Original post by Hw454675
Hey anyone studying Edexcel Further Maths?
I feeling good about the applied modules M1 D1 but core pure is definitely something I'm struggling with. Finding it hard as we are studying maths alevel at same time not in yet 12. Is anyone having this problem??

Not currently studying it, but sat them last year ( i did M1M2). My school also taught maths side by side and it also became an issue around about this time as well. My advice is to just spend 2-3 self teaching all of the normal a-level differentiation/integration chapters. It will help massively.

Are there any areas in particular you're struggling with?
exam board_AQA (as level)
Confident bits_As mechanics(most) and a bit of pure
Area of struggle- the whole of stats, circular motions and work energy principle,hyperbolic functions,polar curve&coordinates.
useful resource- integral math,drfrost, exam solution
Hi Im currently in year 11 I get constant 9s in normal maths and will most likely get a 9 in maths gcse, I also got an 8 in FM mock and will prob get an 8 maybe even a 9 at gcse. Would you reccomend doing a levels further maths (I will do it with maths obv, chemistry and economics)?
Also does it get that much harder?
Original post by ollie5647
Hi Im currently in year 11 I get constant 9s in normal maths and will most likely get a 9 in maths gcse, I also got an 8 in FM mock and will prob get an 8 maybe even a 9 at gcse. Would you reccomend doing a levels further maths (I will do it with maths obv, chemistry and economics)?

i would recommend it if you see yourself needing maths int he future i.e your future uni course / future career, i will also recommend it if you really love and like the subject as a whole i mean the whole of maths because it gets harder aand you will need to push yourselve forward especially when you feel like the only one that doesn't undertsand it in the whole class, at moments like this you will need to motivate and discipline yourself to keep going and not given up.
also since you will be doing 4 alevel as you stated if fmath gets too challenging that it affects your other subjects or your mental health pls drop it or if your school allows you can swap it for an easier subject that you also enjoy.
For context im iin year 12 and i study math, fmaths and economics.
Original post by ollie5647

Never did further maths at GCSE but the topics in further maths require a lot of thinking. They are hard questions, but if you love maths then you will be fine. Just saying there will be a challenge
Ok so I was so highly sure on taking further maths but luck ain't on my side. Just met my soon to be further maths teacher and turns out one of my family members got some old clash with him.....🙂

Sooo he's not seeming very helpful and our first meeting went way too uncomfortable. I don't think I'm gonna be able to take it and he won't want me in his class as well. I was seriously so set on Economics at university. I mean you can't imagine how much I loved the subject but I need further maths for economics at the most reputed universities.

I just don't know what to do. I've been rethinking about different subjects but economics is so irreplaceable. I just was so eager for it and this teacher is simply not making it easy.. I can take further maths, but other teachers that I know have the kind of reputation of not being that well about further maths. Literally everyone around is just great for physics or maths. None for further maths. In fact they're not even trained for further maths A level.

I can't believe I'm gonna have to give up on further maths for a teacher...
Reply 10
Original post by lilian768
I can't believe I'm gonna have to give up on further maths for a teacher...

Me too, this doesn’t make any sense. If you have a problem with a teacher then speak to someone senior.

At least start the course and stop if you can’t carry on for whatever reason.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Notnek
At least start the course and stop if you can’t carry on for whatever reason.

The teacher isn't even interested in my existence... And is most likely going to undergrade or ridicule me to the faculty every chance he gets. I just didn't expect this kind of inappropriate attitude from a respected teacher like him. Not sure whether I should still dare to take the subject or just give up and try my luck with something else which I so not wanna do. Like really.

But taking the sub is surely going to lead to a lot of teacher-student bullying. Is there any other reliable online resource or course for further maths?
Reply 12
Original post by lilian768
The teacher isn't even interested in my existence... And is most likely going to undergrade or ridicule me to the faculty every chance he gets. I just didn't expect this kind of inappropriate attitude from a respected teacher like him. Not sure whether I should still dare to take the subject or just give up and try my luck with something else which I so not wanna do. Like really.

I don't know the full details but you don't have my sympathy at all if you are willing to give up your dreams based on one interaction with a teacher. Talk to someone senior about it if you need to.

To an outsider your posts seem ridiculous and you need to sort this out right now and not give up already.

Quick Reply

Latest