The Student Room Group

which london 6th forms are the best?

I'm currently studying for my gcses (will sit in summer 2022), and about to enter year 11 so sixth form applications are looming around the corner.
Since i live in east london there are a ton to look at, these are the ones i'm planning to apply for:

latymer school
camden school for girls
st marylebone
fortismere
london academy of excellence
kings school of maths
mossbourne
harris westminster
bridge academy (E2)

my current predicted grades are (7) 9's and (2) 8's, so i can qualify for most 6th forms; but if any current or past students at these schools have any advice for applications that would be so helpful!

also do any other londoners know any other good sixth forms (im going to take maths, further maths, physics and econ)

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I would suggest Woodhouse College. It’s located in North London, in Finchley. It’s a really good school and the teachers are really laid back and relaxed. Most of the people there are really smart and very ambitious, so it is a great environment to study in. Near the college, there are many restaurants and cafes such as Nando’s, McDonald’s, KFC, Starbucks, Costa etc. (making it convenient for lunchtime and frees). I cannot recommend the college more.
Look at Brampton and Newham Collegiate too. Very similar to LAE.
Reply 3
Original post by spidergeorg
I'm currently studying for my gcses (will sit in summer 2022), and about to enter year 11 so sixth form applications are looming around the corner.
Since i live in east london there are a ton to look at, these are the ones i'm planning to apply for:

latymer school
camden school for girls
st marylebone
fortismere
kings school of maths
mossbourne
harris westminster
bridge academy (E2)

my current predicted grades are (7) 9's and (2) 8's, so i can qualify for most 6th forms; but if any current or past students at these schools have any advice for applications that would be so helpful!

also do any other londoners know any other good sixth forms (im going to take maths, further maths, physics and econ)

Since I'm assuming you're looking at London sixth forms, I'd also have a look at Brampton Manor and NCS.

latymer school
camden school for girls
st marylebone
fortismere
kings school of maths
mossbourne
harris westminster
bridge academy (E2)

i personally don't recommend marylebone. They're better at the arts than maths and science. hope that helps. LAE's supposedly really good though.
Reply 5
Original post by cinnamonsticks11
i personally don't recommend marylebone. They're better at the arts than maths and science. hope that helps. LAE's supposedly really good though.

LAE is good but it also depends on what subjects OP is going to take since other sixth forms may be better in other departments. e.g. LAE is good for maths but does worse than other sixth forms for physics and econ. And where they want to apply for university.
Reply 6

latymer school
camden school for girls
st marylebone
fortismere
kings school of maths
mossbourne
harris westminster
bridge academy (E2)

It depends where you live
East London: The NCS/LAE
North London: HHCS (which is partnered with NCS), Woodhouse

NCS/HHCS have a focus on STEM
Reply 7
Original post by z80

for east london, another set of good schools which aren't mentioned very often are the ilford/woodford county grammars. they take in roughly 40 students into sixth form. although their results aren't as good as ncs/brampton/lae, they are way more relaxed, and a lot of people continue to do well in life after leaving both schools.
Hiii,
So I had similar predicted grades to you so I just wanted to share some thoughts.
so I went to Mossbourne for a while (before moving back to my old school) and I didn't really vibe with it. I think the school atmosphere was very heavy and forced so much homework (to the point where I didn't even have time to REVISE), and how they're 'the best school in hackney', down my throat. And from what I've heard, many of the schools you've listed also take this approach. I don't know how to explain it, but that school put soo much emphasis on achieving "the best" that I just began to feel depressed. One teacher even told us that if we don't stay in the school till 6 to revise then we will probably fail. I was not the only person who felt this way as many left from the schools you listed and returned back to their original schools. I personally feel that to achieve your best a more healthy and supportive environment is necessary. Please think carefully about your decision and prioritise your mental health because, at the end of the day, that is what will drive how much work you end up putting in. A-levels alone take a lot out of you.

However, as for pros, they do have great physics teachers (as someone who takes physics ...get ready lol💀) and because they mostly take in high achieving students that are more serious about their education, lessons, revision areas and study periods are silent.
I would say accept your offers in more than one place so that if you change your mind after you attend one sixth form then you can always go to another. :smile:

sorry, this response was kind of all over the place, I had a lot to say.
good luck with your exams and if you have any questions ( i take physics and maths) don't be afraid to ask :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TEARSlol
Hiii,
So I had similar predicted grades to you so I just wanted to share some thoughts.
so I went to Mossbourne for a while (before moving back to my old school) and I didn't really vibe with it. I think the school atmosphere was very heavy and forced so much homework (to the point where I didn't even have time to REVISE), and how they're 'the best school in hackney', down your throat. And from what I've heard, many of the schools you've listed also take this approach. I don't know how to explain it, but that school put soo much emphasis on achieving "the best" that I just began to feel depressed. One teacher even told us that if we don't stay in the school till 6 to revise then we will probably fail. I was not the only person who felt this way as many left from the schools you listed and returned back to their original schools. I personally feel that to achieve your best a more healthy and supportive environment is necessary. Please think carefully about your decision and prioritise your mental health because, at the end of the day, that is what will drive how much work you end up putting in. A-levels alone take a lot out of you.

However, as for pros, they do have great physics teachers (as someone who takes physics ...get ready lol💀) and because they mostly take in high achieving students that are more serious about their education, lessons, revision areas and study periods are silent.
I would say accept your offers in more than one place so that if you change your mind after you attend one sixth form then you can always go to another. :smile:

sorry, this response was kind of all over the place, I had a lot to say.
good luck with your exams and if you have any questions ( i take physics and maths) don't be afraid to ask :smile:

+1 here. this is literally why you shouldn't judge a school just based on its academic performance. out of curiosity, what school do you go now?
Original post by kk15405
+1 here. this is literally why you shouldn't judge a school just based on its academic performance. out of curiosity, what school do you go now?

yes, 100%.
I go to Clapton Girls' Academy now :smile:. They have the same average grade as Mossbourne anyway but take a better, healthier, approach in my opinion.
Reply 11
Original post by kk15405

You also have to consider the fact that a lot of these 'top' schools get those results because of the calibre of students they enrol.
Original post by AbduGT
You also have to consider the fact that a lot of these 'top' schools get those results because of the calibre of students they enrol.

Yup and the fact that they have such high GCSE grade requirements in order to get in anyway. I've noticed NCS upped the entry requirements for 2022 entry compared to 2021 - you now need a Grade 9 in GCSE maths in order to do Further Maths and a 9-9 minimum in Combined Sciences in order to do triple science a levels!
Reply 13
Original post by kk15405
Yup and the fact that they have such high GCSE grade requirements in order to get in anyway. I've noticed NCS upped the entry requirements for 2022 entry compared to 2021 - you now need a Grade 9 in GCSE maths in order to do Further Maths and a 9-9 minimum in Combined Sciences in order to do triple science a levels!

Oh wow...I got into ncs this year but I didn't know that they changed it...Just goes to show how much 'value' these sixth formed really claim to add!
Original post by AbduGT
Oh wow...I got into ncs this year but I didn't know that they changed it...Just goes to show how much 'value' these sixth formed really claim to add!

How is it there compared to your previous school? I know 2 people in my old school that went there. I was planning to (and have the grades) to go there however switched to Ilford County at the last minute as it is way more relaxed and much closer (I live only 4 miles from NCS but its an 1 hour bus ride)

latymer school
camden school for girls
st marylebone
fortismere
kings school of maths
mossbourne
harris westminster
bridge academy (E2)

St Dominic’s
Original post by z80

Original post by MoulikaS2003
Hey, I would suggest Woodhouse College. It’s located in North London, in Finchley. It’s a really good school and the teachers are really laid back and relaxed. Most of the people there are really smart and very ambitious, so it is a great environment to study in. Near the college, there are many restaurants and cafes such as Nando’s, McDonald’s, KFC, Starbucks, Costa etc. (making it convenient for lunchtime and frees). I cannot recommend the college more.

i ended up getting into woodhouse!
(trying to ignore my rejections from camden/harris)
i got into woodhouse, LAE and mossbourne but due to my current school being so strict, i think ill definitley be going to woodhouse next year :smile:
Reply 17
Hey, how is woodhouse? I got an offer from woodhouse and Fortismere and unsure which to go.
i ended up getting into woodhouse!
(trying to ignore my rejections from camden/harris)
i got into woodhouse, LAE and mossbourne but due to my current school being so strict, i think ill definitley be going to woodhouse next year :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by eshxr
Hey, how is woodhouse? I got an offer from woodhouse and Fortismere and unsure which to go.

god i forgot i said this, i ended up rejecting my offer from woodhouse at the last minute because i didn't enjoy the taster day much (i go to laswap) and it didnt seem like a fit for me, but i have plenty of friends who chose to go, from what i gather they enjoy woodhouse for the most part, although its quite academically challenging so dont expect to be top of the class straight away.
if you have high goals for university or further education i would recommend woodhouse as they offer lots of support with UCAS and russell group applications, all the good stuff; but if you want a slightly less competitive environment and enjoy the look of fortismere that might be the school for you
woodhouse also seems to have a good enough party scene and it'll definitely give you the 'college' experience, if thats something that matters to you
Reply 19
god i forgot i said this, i ended up rejecting my offer from woodhouse at the last minute because i didn't enjoy the taster day much (i go to laswap) and it didnt seem like a fit for me, but i have plenty of friends who chose to go, from what i gather they enjoy woodhouse for the most part, although its quite academically challenging so dont expect to be top of the class straight away.
if you have high goals for university or further education i would recommend woodhouse as they offer lots of support with UCAS and russell group applications, all the good stuff; but if you want a slightly less competitive environment and enjoy the look of fortismere that might be the school for you
woodhouse also seems to have a good enough party scene and it'll definitely give you the 'college' experience, if thats something that matters to you

hey im about to go to laswap in september is it good? im quite scared i wont receive proper support

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending