The Student Room Group

how do i get into imperial/cambridge computing for 2025?

I'm in Year 12 and I was predicted AACC in Maths, Biology, Computing and Further Maths respectively in my mid-year mocks. I am going to drop Biology and put more effort into efficient study to raise my grades for the end of year mocks.

I am aware that both universities are extremely difficult to get into, but I'm willing to work hard and put the effort it. I just don't know what to start doing or how to do it.

If I aimed for an A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths and Computing and did a programming project and wider reading would that be sufficient to get into these universities? What else should I do?
Original post by lotte-kay82
I'm in Year 12 and I was predicted AACC in Maths, Biology, Computing and Further Maths respectively in my mid-year mocks. I am going to drop Biology and put more effort into efficient study to raise my grades for the end of year mocks.

I am aware that both universities are extremely difficult to get into, but I'm willing to work hard and put the effort it. I just don't know what to start doing or how to do it.

If I aimed for an A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths and Computing and did a programming project and wider reading would that be sufficient to get into these universities? What else should I do?

Your question was going swimmingly until you used the phrase "sufficient to get into". Unfortunately, there is no such thing. Many, many candidates with excellent qualification get turned away from both of these universities each year.

For example, there are 12 applicants per place for Computer Science at Cambridge. Even if we assume that, say, 20% of those applications are "speculative" (i.e. the applicant isn't really suitable), then that still still probably means that Cambridge are turning away 9 suitable candidates for every one that they accept. For 2017/2018/2019, 81% of entrants achieved at least A*A*A*. The subject break-down for those successful applicants (here) makes it clear that this included a lot of students doing four A levels: "All took Mathematics, 96% took Further Mathematics, 85% took Physics and 59% took Computing."

Imperial post their undergraduate admission statistics (as an Excel spreadsheet) here. They show that of the 148 entrants into the Department of Computing for the 2022 cycle, 83 achieved A*A*A*A*, 18 achieved A*A*A*A, 10 achieved A*A*AA, 6 achieved A*A*A*A*A* and 6 achieved A*A*A*A*A. That's more than 80% of the places gone before we've even got to those with three A levels.

So by all means put in as much effort as you can to get into these universities - but just remember that there is not such thing as having done "sufficient to get into" them.
Reply 2
Original post by lotte-kay82

Do well in admissions tests, namely TMUA. If you can get yourself scores above 7, you should have an alright chance. Ofc u need to have problem solving skills and at least A* A* A as well

Quick Reply

Latest