The Student Room Group

are my alevels suitable for computer science

im yr12 and want to study cs at uni, i do maths, chemistry and physics and im wondering will i be able to do cs since i dont do further maths

unis im looking at include: durham ucl warwick st andrews manchester bath (oxford or imperial maybe)

plz help
Reply 1
check uni websites
Reply 2
Original post by jp <3
check uni websites

Imperial doesn't state Further maths as a requirment on their website however it's said that majority of students have studied FM
Original post by gliz
im yr12 and want to study cs at uni, i do maths, chemistry and physics and im wondering will i be able to do cs since i dont do further maths

unis im looking at include: durham ucl warwick st andrews manchester bath (oxford or imperial maybe)

plz help

realistically probably not oxford or imperial, as the majority of candidates for those unis will have further maths - not impossible but I would definitely have a couple of backup choices I was happy going to if I applied to one of them (tbf that would apply whether you did fm or not). Also would not recommend applying to both. I will say all those unis are good universities with quite similar (high) grade requirements, regardless of having further maths or not. I'm pretty sure all of those would be asking for A*AA or higher, so it might be worth considering 1 or 2 unis with slightly lower entry requirements as well
Reply 4
Original post by juicygcse
realistically probably not oxford or imperial, as the majority of candidates for those unis will have further maths - not impossible but I would definitely have a couple of backup choices I was happy going to if I applied to one of them (tbf that would apply whether you did fm or not). Also would not recommend applying to both. I will say all those unis are good universities with quite similar (high) grade requirements, regardless of having further maths or not. I'm pretty sure all of those would be asking for A*AA or higher, so it might be worth considering 1 or 2 unis with slightly lower entry requirements as well

i probs wont apply to oxbridge or imperial, but am dead set on either warwick or ucl. with high grades and super curriculars do you think i could get into them considering i dont do fm
You'll be absolutely fine. Most Universities only want maths. My bug brother did maths, physics and computer science a levels and got offers from Bristol, Cardiff, York, Exeter and Manchester to study Computer Science last year. He chose Bristol.
Original post by gliz
i probs wont apply to oxbridge or imperial, but am dead set on either warwick or ucl. with high grades and super curriculars do you think i could get into them considering i dont do fm

You will be fine. Neither of their websites even mention further maths as preferred in their entry requirements

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending