The Student Room Group

Should I take alevel further maths?

Hello, I am in year 11 and I'm interesting in a career to do with computer science. Recently, my school had an application for sixth form, and I chose maths, physics, and computer science. I thought that this was a good combination if I wanted to continue computer science.
However, after researching a bit more about universities, I found out that many of the top ones require further maths for a computer science course. Can I get into them without further maths? I can probably still change my A-level options, I just don't know if I would be good at further maths.
I generally enjoy maths - I usually get 7s and 8s for GCSE, however I didn't think that I was suitable for further maths since it seems like a massive step up from normal maths. Is it really that hard and do you think I should take it as a fourth A-level?? or am I fine without further maths??
Reply 1
I think you might find that the only ones that actually require Further Maths (if your school offers it) are Cambridge & Oxford. A few more have it as recommended but most unis don't require it. If you are very good at Maths then take Further Maths, otherwise maybe take it as a 4th subject then you can always drop it if you are struggling.

Quick Reply

Latest