The Student Room Group

Can I study economics/computer science at uni without maths a level?

Hello! (Sorry i am new to student rooms so if I am posting this on the wrong forum I apologise) I am currently in year 11 and am looking to do economics, computer science and business at alevel with the hopes of doing a degree combing both economics and computing however I’m wondering if I can do this without a maths alevel, I really enjoy business and I think I will end up with higher grades with business as opposed to maths I am currently working at a grade 8 level of maths in gcse. Most university courses I have looked at require doing maths alevel and getting a high grade in it - so I’m wondering which degrees I could possibly do without a maths alevel do and at which unis? I’ve looked at possibly studying at Nottingham however it says that they will consider those with maths alevel first and other applicants will be delayed so I believe my chances of getting in will be slim and if I don’t get in I am unsure of other options - so if anyone has any recommendations that’s would be great!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Why don’t you take Maths A level?
Original post by Jessica.morris
Hello! (Sorry i am new to student rooms so if I am posting this on the wrong forum I apologise) I am currently in year 11 and am looking to do economics, computer science and business at alevel with the hopes of doing a degree combing both economics and computing however I’m wondering if I can do this without a maths alevel, I really enjoy business and I think I will end up with higher grades with business as opposed to maths I am currently working at a grade 8 level of maths in gcse. Most university courses I have looked at require doing maths alevel and getting a high grade in it - so I’m wondering which degrees I could possibly do without a maths alevel do and at which unis? I’ve looked at possibly studying at Nottingham however it says that they will consider those with maths alevel first and other applicants will be delayed so I believe my chances of getting in will be slim and if I don’t get in I am unsure of other options - so if anyone has any recommendations that’s would be great!

Firstly some universities do not accept Economics and Business Studies together due to similar content. LSE is one but there are others. They will class them as 1 A level. Either/ or but not both if you want flexibility..

As far as Maths is concerned nearly all leading universities will require A level Maths for both subjects and some require Further Maths as well. Almost everywhere requires grade A at least.

Below the leading universities there are a number of very good universities who will accept you for both without Maths.
Original post by swanseajack1
Firstly some universities do not accept Economics and Business Studies together due to similar content. LSE is one but there are others. They will class them as 1 A level. Either/ or but not both if you want flexibility..

As far as Maths is concerned nearly all leading universities will require A level Maths for both subjects and some require Further Maths as well. Almost everywhere requires grade A at least.

Below the leading universities there are a number of very good universities who will accept you for both without Maths.

Economics without A level Maths

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 5
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Loughborough grade 6/7
Nottingham grade 7
Queens Belfast grade A
Reading grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 7
Stirling grade 4
Srathclyde grade 6
Surrey grade 7
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Economics without A level Maths

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 5
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Loughborough grade 6/7
Nottingham grade 7
Queens Belfast grade A
Reading grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 7
Stirling grade 4
Srathclyde grade 6
Surrey grade 7
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 5

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Phy