The Student Room Group

Help choosing A levels subject

So I am confirmed to study accounting and maths for which I also have started classes but I wanted to ask that is it a good combination to study ICT with my other two subjects cause I don't want to study business or economics if not ICT can anyone suggest other subjects which will go well with my chosen subjects?
Original post by Niva Nino
So I am confirmed to study accounting and maths for which I also have started classes but I wanted to ask that is it a good combination to study ICT with my other two subjects cause I don't want to study business or economics if not ICT can anyone suggest other subjects which will go well with my chosen subjects?

What do you intend to study at uni, and why did you specifically picked accounting and maths?
Why don't you want to study business or economics, considering how relevant it is to accounting and maths?

ICT can be studied alongside accounting and maths, but I think you're selling yourself a bit short considering the content of the course. My opinion of ICT will also depend on the specific degree and uni that you want to attend.

Subjects that tend to go well with maths include:

Physics

Chemistry (usually)

Computer science

Further Maths

Statistics

Subjects that tend to go well with accounting:

Business studies

Economics

Possibly law, but it's generally not recommended as an A Level subject

If you can answer the above questions, I might be able to offer more specific recommendations, or at least point you in the right direction.
Reply 2
So I want to mainly study accounting in uni that's my aim but I took maths because there are many universities which require math in A levels for me to apply in them... Many universities in abroad has that requirement and also some in my country as well... So basically I had to take maths due to that reason....

As for ICT I really like that subject originally I wanted to take both ICT and CS in olevels but due to short time and no teacher I couldn't but now that I have time before A levels I really want to take ICT... In a way you can say that I really like ICT and accounting not only with the intention of studying but it's also more of a passion...

If that's the case, then you should absolutely go for ICT at A Level; enjoying your subjects is the main thing which helps you to do well in exams
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
What do you intend to study at uni, and why did you specifically picked accounting and maths?
Why don't you want to study business or economics, considering how relevant it is to accounting and maths?

ICT can be studied alongside accounting and maths, but I think you're selling yourself a bit short considering the content of the course. My opinion of ICT will also depend on the specific degree and uni that you want to attend.

Subjects that tend to go well with maths include:

Physics

Chemistry (usually)

Computer science

Further Maths

Statistics

Subjects that tend to go well with accounting:

Business studies

Economics

Possibly law, but it's generally not recommended as an A Level subject

If you can answer the above questions, I might be able to offer more specific recommendations, or at least point you in the right direction.

So I want to mainly study accounting in uni that's my aim but I took maths because there are many universities which require math in A levels for me to apply in them... Many universities in abroad has that requirement and also some in my country as well... So basically I had to take maths due to that reason....

As for ICT I really like that subject originally I wanted to take both ICT and CS in olevels but due to short time and no teacher I couldn't but now that I have time before A levels I really want to take ICT... In a way you can say that I really like ICT and accounting not only with the intention of studying but it's also more of a passion...

I don't want to study business and economics is because it's difficult to gain marks in those two specifically in alevels which i got to know from studying those two for a while in my olevels that's all I want to be done with alevels easily with subjects I can do well at but I was concerned that would it be a combination or not hence why I asked....

I don't want to study business and economics is because it's difficult to gain marks in those two specifically in alevels which i got to know from studying those two for a while in my olevels that's all I want to be done with alevels easily with subjects I can do well at but I was concerned that would it be a combination or not hence why I asked....

Which country are you doing your A Levels in? If you're doing O Levels, you're definitely not based in the UK.

I would have thought it was more difficult to get high marks in maths or accounting than business or economics, but that's me.

In order to become an accountant in most countries (as far as I know), you would need a recognised professional accounting qualification (not a degree) + qualified professional experience under your accounting body before you can practice accounting. This can be with CA, ACA, ACCA, AIA, CIMA, etc. I don't know which country you're based in and which qualifications you need, so either you can tell me your country (or the country you intend to work in) and I would help you find out this information.
The other thing you would need to bear in mind is that for most profesional accounting qualifications, you don't specifically need an accounting degree prior to doing the qualification. For example, with the ACCA, you only need 2-3 A Levels in any subjects + 3 O Levels (including English Language and Maths) at sufficient grades (see: https://www.accaglobal.com/gb/en/qualifications/glance/acca/minimum-entrance.html). If you don't meet those prerequisites for any reason, you can often do the FIA which has no entry requirements before transitioning onto the full ACCA qualification.
If you do a recognised accounting degree, you can get exemptions from specific modules in the professional accounting qualification, but this would depend on the country/professional qualification and the degree.

Maths A Level is often not required for pure (or near pure) accounting degrees. It's often required if your accounting degree has a lot of financial mathematics, which isn't relevant for your professional accounting. If you did a full on finance degree, then I can understand why it's a prerequisite. If you want to do a degree with a strong finance component, then it's up to you.
Generally, accounting degrees would accept A Levels in any subjects so long you have high enough grades. Some of the pickier top end universities will ask for more academic subjects (e.g. the traditional and difficult school subjects: maths, sciences, history, geography, politics...) as opposed to any subjects.
Maths with any 2 other A Level subjects can also allow you to study other quantitative degrees such as computer science, maths, finance (including financial mathematics, financial engineering), actuarial science. If there was any inkling that you want to do computer science, then Maths would be a suitable choice, but I have yet to see a computer related degree requiring ICT.

As I have no idea what your strengths and weaknesses are, it's difficult for me to say whether ICT should be the only third subject you should be considering. Also, I have no idea which specific degrees you intend to do at which universities and in which countries. Any entry requirements specified for the degrees you want to take take precedence over any recommendations for any subjects that I might have.
Hi, I think doing Accounting, Math and ICT as your A levels definitely has its benefits. I’m a qualified ACCA systems accountant and did ICT as one of my a levels years ago. A lot of the database/excel skills I learned back then, I still use today. Plus with the way technology is constantly evolving, having these types of skills are always seen a valuable. Like for my role, it’s predominantly making various reports in excel for senior managers and ensuring that our finance system works effectively
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest