The Student Room Group

LLM Law Graduate: Unemployed for Over 1 Year

I. am. going. crazy.

Okay, so I did my LLB, first class from a low ranked uni. Gap year during the pandemic. Then, LLM from a top 10 uni, got a borderline merit/distinction. I graduated in July 2021 - it is now February 2023, and after many rejections, interviews, and being FIRED from one law firm, I am now unemployed.

Let me clarify: I graduated my LLM, struggled to find a legal job for about 9 months, (employers wanted more years of experience, the LPC for a paralegal role, you know the drill) took the first paralegal role I found from a low quality, unprofessional law firm, and (I guess they didn't like me - I genuinely put my ALL into doing my best) I was fired after about 5 months. That really impacted my confidence, took a while to get back into job applications, so its now been about 4 months, and I'm starting to get interviews again.

BUT HOW DO I EXPLAIN THE GAP?

The good thing is, I have been technically volunteering for a relatives company in an admin type role since graduation, but the reference would clearly be a relatives name...

These are my options

Say I have been unemployed for 1 year and a half since graduating... struggling to find jobs...

Say I got fired at my first job after graduation? That the firm wasn't professional? That I wasn't liked?

Say I've been volunteering at a firm since graduation as I couldn't find a legal job, and don't mention it's a relative's company unless they ask.

Let me know what you think... My mental state has not been the best - I feel like I'm constantly needing to portray things in a positive way when theyre NOT positive. I HAVE had interviews since I got fired, but I was in such a stressed out state, I guess I didn't perform well. Or, I feel like the interviews going ok, everyone is smiling and nodding, and then I never hear back, and I dont know exactly what I'm doing wrong.

At this point I'm shocked at how I let myself get to this point, but at the same time I don't know what else I could've done, I honestly put my whole energy into it, and I was getting panic attacks just sitting down at my computer to do more applications. The rejections have tainted my confidence, and I almost feel like, even as I walk into an interview, I have already failed, like it says "looser" on my forehead.

Any thoughts???
(edited 1 year ago)
I would say tell them at a interview that you have had a gap year because you cannot find a relevant job due to a lack of experience or say your doing work experience at a law firm don't say they are related to you. Tell one of the co-workers to give you a reference. Plus I'd say upgrade your interview skills hopefully you will get somewhere don't give up.
Original post by darklystormly
I. am. going. crazy.

Okay, so I did my LLB, first class from a low ranked uni. Gap year during the pandemic. Then, LLM from a top 10 uni, got a borderline merit/distinction. I graduated in July 2021 - it is now February 2023, and after many rejections, interviews, and being FIRED from one law firm, I am now unemployed.

Let me clarify: I graduated my LLM, struggled to find a legal job for about 9 months, (employers wanted more years of experience, the LPC for a paralegal role, you know the drill) took the first paralegal role I found from a low quality, unprofessional law firm, and (I guess they didn't like me - I genuinely put my ALL into doing my best) I was fired after about 5 months. That really impacted my confidence, took a while to get back into job applications, so its now been about 4 months, and I'm starting to get interviews again.

BUT HOW DO I EXPLAIN THE GAP?

The good thing is, I have been technically volunteering for a relatives company in an admin type role since graduation, but the reference would clearly be a relatives name...

These are my options

Say I have been unemployed for 1 year and a half since graduating... struggling to find jobs...

Say I got fired at my first job after graduation? That the firm wasn't professional? That I wasn't liked?

Say I've been volunteering at a firm since graduation as I couldn't find a legal job, and don't mention it's a relative's company unless they ask.

Let me know what you think... My mental state has not been the best - I feel like I'm constantly needing to portray things in a positive way when theyre NOT positive. I HAVE had interviews since I got fired, but I was in such a stressed out state, I guess I didn't perform well. Or, I feel like the interviews going ok, everyone is smiling and nodding, and then I never hear back, and I dont know exactly what I'm doing wrong.

At this point I'm shocked at how I let myself get to this point, but at the same time I don't know what else I could've done, I honestly put my whole energy into it, and I was getting panic attacks just sitting down at my computer to do more applications. The rejections have tainted my confidence, and I almost feel like, even as I walk into an interview, I have already failed, like it says "looser" on my forehead.

Any thoughts???

You need to reframe your 'pitch' and language. First of all, you need a few phrases like "of course, post-covid the recruitment market has been pretty erratic"

The facts you have been volunteering and that it is a family business are both irrelevant - you have been working. Though if it's a relative, can you press for getting in involved in anything that shows relevant skills?

Generally, references come after an offer has been made, so if it becomes clear it's a family business then, it's too late. Though ideally, you'd get a reference signed by someone without the same surname.

On the job you got fired from you have to be more careful. Will they give you a good reference? (Get someone from the family business to write and ask for a reference?). Were you subject to any disciplinary action while you were there - that's the only reason to try and forget them from your CV.

Otherwise, skills end experience need to be detached from enjoyment and colleagues behaviour in a job. There's no need to mention what you think of the quality of the business, how lousy and unfair they were etc. All you need to talk about is the work you did, the skills, experience and achievements - no quality judgement about the organisation is necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending