The Student Room Group

LLB for Graduates: Qualifying Law Degree in Pakistan?

I am doing my LLB for Graduates, which is a 2-year LLB degree for those who are graduates, from University of Birmingham. I just wanted to confirm if that is recognised by Pakistan Bar Council and that I can practice back home once I am done with the degree. They say it is a 'Qualifying Law Degree in England and Wales' but i dont know about Pakistan :frown: I have searched every bit of the internet and the Pakistan Bar Council's website but found nothing relevant. I am really worried about this and i still have time to change my course to the 3-year LLB. Help.
Reply 1
Pakistan is lawless.no work for lawyers.
Reply 2
Original post by catman7
Pakistan is lawless.no work for lawyers.

Thats true. But still the question remains, is it recognized? :smile:
Dear Fellow

I am feeling an immense pleasure for informing you about your apprehension that whether the University Of Birminghim is recognized by the Pakistan Bar Council or not.
It is informed to you that according to my information the University Of Birmingham is a recognized university duly notified in Schedule 1 of Pakistan Bar Council (Recognition of Universities Rules) 2005.
You don't need to woory about this issue more.
Reply 4
Ring up the University of Birmingham and ask. They are very friendly :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Malik Wajahat
Dear Fellow

I am feeling an immense pleasure for informing you about your apprehension that whether the University Of Birminghim is recognized by the Pakistan Bar Council or not.
It is informed to you that according to my information the University Of Birmingham is a recognized university duly notified in Schedule 1 of Pakistan Bar Council (Recognition of Universities Rules) 2005.
You don't need to woory about this issue more.

Dear wajahat,

Thank you so much for providing me with the information. However, I think you must be talking about the 3 years LLB from the University of Birmingham. I am doing the 2-year LLB, which is known here as LLB for Graduates. Its not that I am asking about University of Birmingham being recognized by Pakistan Bar Council or not, but rather I am concerned about this Particular degree (LLB for Graduates) from this Particular university (University of Birmingham) being recognized by the Pakistan Bar Council or not. I would really appreciate if you help me with that.

Regards,
Musavir
Reply 6
Original post by payfechan88
Ring up the University of Birmingham and ask. They are very friendly :smile:

Haven't rung them as yet because they have clearly mentioned in the prospectus that 'it is entirely your responsibility to make sure if our degree is recognized in your country, however it is recognized by the Bar Standards Board and Solicitors' Authority, so you can practice in England and Wales' for sure.

Will try asking them about it tomorrow if they can help. :smile:
Reply 7
Dear wajahat,

With reference to your comment, I researched about the schedule 1 of the pakistan bar council (Recognition of Universities Rule) 2005. I believe that is the right schedule that i have been searching for since what has now been almost a month. But I couldn't find the content of the schedule 1 anywhere. If you have it, please provide me with the link so that I can find my degree's and university's name in it. The document that I found as the closest to it is here:

http://www.pbbarcouncil.com/downloads/barcouncil_act_amended_2005.pdf
Dear Friend !
According to the Rule 5 of Pakistan Bar Council (Legal Education Rules) 1978, the duration of LL.B course should be of three years but there is no specific exception regarding to the Universities abroad. However I will try my level best to contact with Enrolment Committe or Legal Education Committe of PBC which will really guide both of us to the right way.
Pakistan Bar Council has no website and many of the peoples always remain complaining about it. Pakistan Bar Council (Recognition of Universities Rules) 2005 is also not available on the internet but it contains in book i.e "Mannual of Bar Council Laws"
Reply 9
Dear Friend !
According to the Rule 5 of Pakistan Bar Council (Legal Education Rules) 1978, the duration of LL.B course should be of three years but there is no specific exception regarding to the Universities abroad. However I will try my level best to contact with Enrolment Committe or Legal Education Committe of PBC which will really guide both of us to the right way.
Pakistan Bar Council has no website and many of the peoples always remain complaining about it. Pakistan Bar Council (Recognition of Universities Rules) 2005 is also not available on the internet but it contains in book i.e "Mannual of Bar Council Laws"

Yes, according to the Rule 5 the LLB should be of three years, that is exactly what initiated the trouble for me when i read it.. Mine is of 2-years but it is a Hons Degree. Are you sure if Manual of Bar Council Laws contains the PBC (Recognitions of Unis Rule) 2005? Coz i will buy it then. Any idea where can i have it? I will see amazon.com.
Please contact with the committees you have mentioned above, i will be thankful to you if you solve my problem, this way or that way.
Reply 10
Dear Friend !

Dear Wajahat,

Just to add to your information so that you can inquire correctly, I have done my BBA (4-years) from SZABIST Karachi and my admission to the LLB for graduates (2 year program) was on the basis of this degree, because only those are eligible in this program who have already completed a degree in another discipline.
Original post by gmusavir
Haven't rung them as yet because they have clearly mentioned in the prospectus that 'it is entirely your responsibility to make sure if our degree is recognized in your country, however it is recognized by the Bar Standards Board and Solicitors' Authority, so you can practice in England and Wales' for sure.

Ohhh I see. Wow, how unfriendly of them. Hmm...could you ring your home consulate or something? It seems ridiculous to me that when you're paying international fees and trying to do the best for your education they would write a comment like that in their prospectus. I suppose it's a busy time. Good luck though, I hope they answer your question!
Dear members i want to know can i do llm in uk on pakistani llb degree?
Hi @Bilal ahmad89,

My understanding is that you can do an LLM in the UK however you would need to do a QLD before studying the LLM. This would be the 2 Year LLB in the UK as you already have a Pakistani Law degree. More information can be found at:

https://www.buckingham.ac.uk/law/study/pakistan

If you need any other information then feel free to get in touch.

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Original post by J-SP
Seen plenty do it without a UK QLD as is mentioned above

Indeed.

My LLM class would have been very small if non-English LLBs were not considered.
Reply 15
I am doing my LLB for Graduates, which is a 2-year LLB degree for those who are graduates, from University of Birmingham. I just wanted to confirm if that is recognised by Pakistan Bar Council and that I can practice back home once I am done with the degree. They say it is a 'Qualifying Law Degree in England and Wales' but i dont know about Pakistan :frown: I have searched every bit of the internet and the Pakistan Bar Council's website but found nothing relevant. I am really worried about this and i still have time to change my course to the 3-year LLB. Help.

I didn't know one could convert the 2 year llb to the 3 year llb degree? Is it possible? I never read anywhere that a senior status 2 year llb could be converted to a 3 year llb degree.
Original post by DN0899
I didn't know one could convert the 2 year llb to the 3 year llb degree? Is it possible? I never read anywhere that a senior status 2 year llb could be converted to a 3 year llb degree.

Hi @DN0899

The third-year is optional and upon completion of the year, you will receive an LLB with Honours.

The standard Graduate Entry route is 2 years with options to study on the Clinical LLB and/or Dual-Qualifying LLB.

If you have any further questions, then feel free to get in touch.

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Reply 17
Hello.Ihave done masters in International relations and currently doing LLB 2 years from Uni Of London...My question is that Am i eligible to enroll as advocate im Punjab bar council or islamabad bar council. Is HEC is going to verify or give equilance cert for LLB 2 years after 16 years of education.
Reply 18

If you are in Pakistan studying as online student then Pakistan bar council will recognize 3 year LLB from UK based university. But now, Pakistan bar council changed rules and now, after completion of 3 year LLB degree you will provide NOC from the college which is recognized by Pakistan bar council. Then you will be eligible to get enrollment with Pakistan Bar councils.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending