The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

UCAS deadline advice

The UCAS deadline for 2023 entry is fast approaching.

Some of you will be ready. You’ll know the course you want to study, you’ve got your personal statement written and you know where you want to go (or got your shortlist sorted).

For you, it’s pretty straightforward. You can submit your application by using UCAS Apply. If you want to study part time, you can apply directly to the university. Overseas students may want to use an agent to help with the process.

But maybe you’re not quite there yet. So, first things first. It’s important you choose the right course for you. How do you decide? Here are some tips from one of our Marketing graduates, Emily:

“Choose a course you enjoy. You’ll be motivated to work harder (and get up for those 9am lectures). Thoroughly research the options. Universities will offer courses with the same name, but the contents will differ.

“And think about what you want to do when you’ve finished your degree. How will the course contribute to you achieving that goal? Some courses offer the opportunity to undertake a year in industry. This will boost your employability.”

So that’s the course nailed. What about your personal statement? You may have noticed we have a handy University Personal Statement Writer. The big tips are to show your enthusiasm for the course and use your own voice. That means avoiding words you wouldn’t use in everyday life. Although your personal statement needs to be professional, it should be a true reflection of you so be yourself.

So, are you ready? The deadline is 25 January. If you have any questions, please post them here.

All the best. :crossedf:

Toby
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello again people!
As time ticks down, I thought I'd take this opportunity to answer a few frequently asked questions. Here's the first:

What is the UCAS deadline?
So, this is the deadline to ensure that universities review your application and most people will apply by this date. However, you can still apply after January and receive offers from universities.
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
What costs are involved when applying to university?

You will have to pay to submit your UCAS application. Your application fee for 2023 entry is £27, and you can make a maximum of six choices.
What should I include in my personal statement?

Your personal statement is your opportunity to showcase why you wish to apply for a particular course or profession. So it's important that you relate all of your skills, experience and passion for the subject area that you're looking to study at university.

Your may have seen our thread about our University Personal Statement Writer.
Who should write my reference?

The reference process will vary, depending on how you choose to apply, either through school or college, a centre that is registered with UCAS or applying as an individual.

Ideally, your reference should be someone who knows you academically or, in the absence of that, in a work capacity, so they can comment on things such as your work ethic and suitability for higher education. If you apply through school or college, it's likely that one of your teachers, form tutors or careers advisors will write your reference.
What will happen once I've submitted my application?

Once you submit your application, UCAS will process it, and you'll receive an email confirming that your application has been sent to your university choices. You can check on the progress of your application through UCAS Track.

Once you start to receive offers back from your universities, you'll need to decide which is your firm (first) choice and which is your insurance (second) option.
Where can I get more information and apply for student finance?

Student finance applications will open in February for September entry. You will need to apply by the end of May to make sure that you get your first loan instalment when you start university.

Everything you need to know about funding your studies, as well as how to apply, can be found on the gov.uk website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending