The Student Room Group

Too late to apply for 2024?

Hello,

I am currently studying Environmental Science at Newcastle University in my 1st year. Not enjoying it too much, can't see a career, not excited about the future... Suddenly I've had the epiphany that I want to study Graphic Design and I've never felt so crystal clear about the future in my life.

Only catch, Newcastle doesn't offer a Graphic Design course. The only option realistically is Northumbria University's Design Foundation Course, which I've got no problem in taking. But different university, so I have to apply through UCAS.

I know the UCAS deadline passed at the end of January, and obviously there's clearing. But I've read about UCAS Extra and I'm not entirely sure how it works. Is it exclusively for people that have already submitted an application before the original deadline closed and don't receive any offers?

Is it too late to apply for a course starting this September? Any advice related to this question or not would be extremely appreciated.

Thank You.
Original post by romantic-stereot
Hello,

I am currently studying Environmental Science at Newcastle University in my 1st year. Not enjoying it too much, can't see a career, not excited about the future... Suddenly I've had the epiphany that I want to study Graphic Design and I've never felt so crystal clear about the future in my life.

Only catch, Newcastle doesn't offer a Graphic Design course. The only option realistically is Northumbria University's Design Foundation Course, which I've got no problem in taking. But different university, so I have to apply through UCAS.

I know the UCAS deadline passed at the end of January, and obviously there's clearing. But I've read about UCAS Extra and I'm not entirely sure how it works. Is it exclusively for people that have already submitted an application before the original deadline closed and don't receive any offers?

Is it too late to apply for a course starting this September? Any advice related to this question or not would be extremely appreciated.

Thank You.

Your statement about UCAS Extra is accurate, in that it's not what you're after. The January deadline was for "equal consideration", meaning applications received after that date might be at the back of the queue when it comes to making offer decisions. Do you know how popular Northumbria University's Design Foundation Course is, and whether it's typically oversubscribed?

You should apply via the main UCAS scheme (not Extra, and not Clearing). You could apply to just this one particular course if you want, or you could throw in four more to give yourself some options.

Time to start working on your personal statement! :smile:
Do you have a portfolio of work?

Do you want to stay in Newcastle?

You have 5 UCAS choices so it’s worth thinking about using at least 3 or 4 of them
Important questions... I've already settled in and have made friends I'm signed onto a house next year with, I'd like to stay in Newcastle. As far as a portfolio goes, I am definitely lacking that. That's why I think a foundation course would be necessary to develop portfolio skills. I did study Product Design at A Level but to tell the truth my work then was majorly sub par.
Thank you for your reply. Good to know it's not the end of the world, hahaha. Demand for the course is a valid point though... I'm not sure how subscribed it usually is. Do you know how I could find out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending