The Student Room Group

Ranking

Hi what is the most trusted site for universities ranking?
Reply 1
I use QS World University Rankings but there are others. Kind regards.
Original post by Haya12345

Generally I would say compile your own research & form your own opinions (if you want data sources perhaps consider sourcing data from objective measurables with clearly defined measurements things like teaching quality: TEF, research quality: REF, employability: look at the employment data or high-fliers guide survey results).

I am not a massive fan of the uni league tables they all tend to have fairly arbitrary weightings and (imo) often questionable data gathering and processing methods. Im of the opinion they generally pick metrics which sound nice but without any real depth in the justification.

Develop a criteria of what is important to you in a university, and research around those criteria
Original post by Haya12345

The non-existent kind. I.e go to a university that you'll love as opposed to rankings unless you're doing a course or looking towards going in a career paths where rankings matter. That's my opinion.
For demographics of each uni (important to me cause I want the right balance of feeling like I belong without being surrounded by people the exact same as me) I've been using UCAS application data:

https://www.ucas.com/data-and-analysis/undergraduate-statistics-and-reports/ucas-undergraduate-sector-level-end-cycle-data-resources-2021/2021-entry-ucas-undergraduate-reports-sex-area-background-and-ethnic-group

For actual rankings I've been using the Guardian league tables which rank based on course (CompSci), but I'm not sure how much I can rely on them as someone who already has prior experience in CompSci and therefore is coming in with a different level of knowledge and different goals from the average student studying CompSci. If I'd known early on that were was a more objective measure of teaching quality I would have used that instead.
Original post by mnot
Generally I would say compile your own research & form your own opinions (if you want data sources perhaps consider sourcing data from objective measurables with clearly defined measurements things like teaching quality: TEF, research quality: REF, employability: look at the employment data or high-fliers guide survey results).

I am not a massive fan of the uni league tables they all tend to have fairly arbitrary weightings and (imo) often questionable data gathering and processing methods. Im of the opinion they generally pick metrics which sound nice but without any real depth in the justification.

Develop a criteria of what is important to you in a university, and research around those criteria

How does the TEF assess teaching quality? Is it not self-reported like the Guardian league tables?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by The_Architect
For demographics of each uni (important to me cause I want the right balance of feeling like I belong without being surrounded by people the exact same as me) I've been using UCAS application data:

https://www.ucas.com/data-and-analysis/undergraduate-statistics-and-reports/ucas-undergraduate-sector-level-end-cycle-data-resources-2021/2021-entry-ucas-undergraduate-reports-sex-area-background-and-ethnic-group

For actual rankings I've been using the Guardian league tables which rank based on course (CompSci), but I'm not sure how much I can rely on them as someone who already has prior experience in CompSci and therefore is coming in with a different level of knowledge and different goals from the average student studying CompSci. If I'd known early on that were was a more objective measure of teaching quality I would have used that instead.

How does the TEF assess teaching quality? Is it not self-reported like the Guardian league tables?

Tef is a regulated metric of university teaching quality.
Original post by mnot
Tef is a regulated metric of university teaching quality.

So how is it actually measured?
Reply 8
Original post by univ
I use QS World University Rankings but there are others. Kind regards.

i feel really confused because guardian ranking or qs world university , swansea or kent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending