The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Criminology

Hi

Anyone recently studied criminology or going in 2023? I've just applied and wondered on the turnaround for offers?

Also looking for info on time in uni /home based lectures / learning

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi,

Congratulations on applying to university; you will not regret it. Can I ask where you have applied to as they all differ with turnaround times, I can give you my experience of the turnaround at my local universities and my knowledge of studying criminology (with a difference, but trust me, you will be ahead of the game and love the course, the lecture's and the lecturer's that deliver the content).

I applied in November 2020 to Nottingham, Nottingham Trent, DeMontford, Leicester, Derby, Loughborough & Staffordshire - they all had an answer back to me by February 2021, with Staffordshire being the first to make an offer. In truthfulness, Staffordshire was the ONLY one I wanted to study at, but I had to cover all bases.

Studying criminology at Staffordshire is hugely different to other University courses (I do have friends at other universities on criminology courses), as we have distinctive pathway's to choose from in level 5. I am on the offender management pathway as I want to work in prisons/offenders, but I have friends on the counter-terrorism pathway who I come together to study some modules.

The courses are what I would call 'practical'; in level 4, we needed to visit a court and write a report, and with another module, we needed to give a presentation as a group on a historical court case - yes, we have a theory module because what is criminology without theories, but it does have far more interaction with lecturer's many of whom have worked in sector's such as the police (so can you an in-depth knowledge of procedures such as PACE), or we have professor's who have worked in the criminal justice and are more than happy to pass their knowledge on and support students.

The support at Staffordshire is also very different to other friend's experiences of their criminology course, I have just finished a module where we studied working with offenders, and one of our lecturers was a prison officer who helped support the cohort for the assignment (a practical exam where we played the role of a governor) - as you can see we have a lot of interactions with staff and a lot of support to ensure we pass and are set up for the future. Due to one of our modules, we are the only university graduates who can take time off their probation training (if you want that route), so it is an excellent course if you wish to study this area.

Equally, if you think I need to figure out what route I want, there are various options. There is no pressure to take a module pathway, and you can mix and match modules from offender management, victimology, counter-terrorism, and graduate.

We have access to training in PowerPoint, Excel and many other pieces of software, as well as providing a lovely campus to study on with the new Catalyst building, which is open 24/7. I visited 5 out of 7 campuses, and Staffordshire was the most open-friendly campus I found, with lots of open spaces and never having to feel like I was in a crowd. Trust me, and this can make a difference to your enjoyment and how you will interact.

I have posted a link to criminology courses because if you take an offer here, you do not need to make a choice now about your future; you make that choice at the end of level 4 when you have studied a variety of modules. If you can, I encourage you to attend an open day and meet some of the staff, but taking place at Staffordshire University is a decision I do not think you (or anyone else) would regret.

If you need anything else or think of anything else, drop me a line, and I will do my best to help or point you in the right direction. I hope you take this opportunity to undertake a dynamic degree course that you will enjoy.

https://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/criminology-bsc-msci

Good luck, and I hope to see you in September 2023 when you start your course, but please do not forget if you need anything (or just some reassurance about starting a criminology degree), drop me a line ([email protected]).
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Original post by JemimaJ
Hi,

Congratulations on applying to university; you will not regret it. Can I ask where you have applied to as they all differ with turnaround times, I can give you my experience of the turnaround at my local universities and my knowledge of studying criminology (with a difference, but trust me, you will be ahead of the game and love the course, the lecture's and the lecturer's that deliver the content).

I applied in November 2020 to Nottingham, Nottingham Trent, DeMontford, Leicester, Derby, Loughborough & Staffordshire - they all had an answer back to me by February 2021, with Staffordshire being the first to make an offer. In truthfulness, Staffordshire was the ONLY one I wanted to study at, but I had to cover all bases.

Studying criminology at Staffordshire is hugely different to other University courses (I do have friends at other universities on criminology courses), as we have distinctive pathway's to choose from in level 5. I am on the offender management pathway as I want to work in prisons/offenders, but I have friends on the counter-terrorism pathway who I come together to study some modules.

The courses are what I would call 'practical'; in level 4, we needed to visit a court and write a report, and with another module, we needed to give a presentation as a group on a historical court case - yes, we have a theory module because what is criminology without theories, but it does have far more interaction with lecturer's many of whom have worked in sector's such as the police (so can you an in-depth knowledge of procedures such as PACE), or we have professor's who have worked in the criminal justice and are more than happy to pass their knowledge on and support students.

The support at Staffordshire is also very different to other friend's experiences of their criminology course, I have just finished a module where we studied working with offenders, and one of our lecturers was a prison officer who helped support the cohort for the assignment (a practical exam where we played the role of a governor) - as you can see we have a lot of interactions with staff and a lot of support to ensure we pass and are set up for the future. Due to one of our modules, we are the only university graduates who can take time off their probation training (if you want that route), so it is an excellent course if you wish to study this area.

Equally, if you think I need to figure out what route I want, there are various options. There is no pressure to take a module pathway, and you can mix and match modules from offender management, victimology, counter-terrorism, and graduate.

We have access to training in PowerPoint, Excel and many other pieces of software, as well as providing a lovely campus to study on with the new Catalyst building, which is open 24/7. I visited 5 out of 7 campuses, and Staffordshire was the most open-friendly campus I found, with lots of open spaces and never having to feel like I was in a crowd. Trust me, and this can make a difference to your enjoyment and how you will interact.

I have posted a link to criminology courses because if you take an offer here, you do not need to make a choice now about your future; you make that choice at the end of level 4 when you have studied a variety of modules. If you can, I encourage you to attend an open day and meet some of the staff, but taking place at Staffordshire University is a decision I do not think you (or anyone else) would regret.

If you need anything else or think of anything else, drop me a line, and I will do my best to help or point you in the right direction. I hope you take this opportunity to undertake a dynamic degree course that you will enjoy.

https://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/criminology-bsc-msci

Good luck, and I hope to see you in September 2023 when you start your course, but please do not forget if you need anything (or just some reassurance about starting a criminology degree), drop me a line ([email protected]).

Hi
That's great information thank you!

My first choice is Staffordshire also!

Can I ask what the timetable is like?

Thank you
It is a great course and interactive one. You will enjoy as i have been enjoying all the perspectives of the course
Original post by Jaystyles
It is a great course and interactive one. You will enjoy as i have been enjoying all the perspectives of the course

How many hours are based at uni? Like how many days per week do you attend?
in my case i have a maximum of three units per day...each 2.5 hours.....however, i have Wednesday as free day and most of the other week days i have like 4 hours free during the day
Reply 6
Original post by Studentnurse2020
Hi
That's great information. Thank you!

Thank you

Hi

Level 4 I spent two days on campus (I drive in as I am an hour away) studying six modules over the level, which I found ok (I am aware some friends at other universities spent three days on campus in level 4) but two of my modules were online, so thing's may have changed slightly if you are planning on living on campus (and it's a nice place to stay as there are people in my cohort that live here, some who live local, some who get the train and myself who drive), you are not too far away if you wanted to pop home.

Semester 1 on the level 5 timetable had two modules on a Wednesday morning (9-10.45 & 11-1.00) and Thursday 11-1 pm. Semester 2, which starts Wednesday, gives me 10-1 pm, and Thursday, I have a split day 11-1 pm & 3-5 pm. However, due to the nature of one of my modules (research which every university will have at some point) will add 2-4 pm Tuesday to Wednesday and Thursday and four all-day sessions split over a couple of months to complete a module.

The exciting thing about this course is that we have workshops and lectures. Hence, our workshops are interactive, where I learnt (from a current prison officer) the workings of a prisoner being charged inside a prison where they have breached prison laws. This semester's design and research module will add a workshop where we learn to work with statistical software, so it is never just sitting and being spoken to. You can interact or debate - you are encouraged to ask questions; it is how we all learn.

There are prison visits during level 5 if you wish to go on these, and again it is for your benefit, and they are fascinating.

If there is anything else, drop me a line via email, as I check that daily, and you will probably get a quicker response. ;-)
Reply 7
Go for Staffordshire, and you won't regret it - I have loved it despite the work involved in writing assignments (some are more interesting than others like anything in life). Drop me a line when you accept your invitation here ;-)
Original post by Studentnurse2020
Hi
That's great information thank you!

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending