The Student Room Group

is criminology a useless degree?

hi, I'm planning on doing criminology and sociology as an undergraduate degree but I'm scared since a lot of people normally advise against this since there isn't a lot of job prospects.
I'd love to work in the civil service or become a detective constable. But with the high demand of students taking criminology degrees, I am worried whether it will turn to be useless. any advice? or is it just the nerves talking.
I'm in my final year doing a BA Criminology degree at Durham. If you enjoy the subject, I wouldn't worry.

There are plenty of doors a criminology degree opens for you: Social work, civil service, police, probation, teaching and more. All things similar to what I want to do when I graduate! I sometimes worry the same thing, but, I love the course. Having the degree opens a lot of doors, and I love the people I have met through it and have made friends for life- I've even discovered that I enjoy writing essays????

My fellow criminology friends all would say the same thing.

100% the nerves talking. And enjoy uni! Don't forget to bring loads of cold & flu remedies for freshers week!
Reply 2
Original post by Yorkshire Tea
I'm in my final year doing a BA Criminology degree at Durham. If you enjoy the subject, I wouldn't worry.

There are plenty of doors a criminology degree opens for you: Social work, civil service, police, probation, teaching and more. All things similar to what I want to do when I graduate! I sometimes worry the same thing, but, I love the course. Having the degree opens a lot of doors, and I love the people I have met through it and have made friends for life- I've even discovered that I enjoy writing essays????

My fellow criminology friends all would say the same thing.

100% the nerves talking. And enjoy uni! Don't forget to bring loads of cold & flu remedies for freshers week!

aha thank you :,) it's quite nice to have someone who's literally doing criminology advocate for it. I read so much stuff online from people saying that it's a bad degree, but honestly I don't know what other degree to take if I want to work for civil service (other than law - even then I don't want to be a lawyer)
criminology and sociology are probably the best for civil service, as they teach you a lot of things that the civil service look for such as social research. Start it with an open mind, criminology teaches you more than just “why does someone do crime”, it has a range of subjects taught that massively overlap with other subjects snd you can pick and choose a lot of them (sociology as the main one, or others like psychology, politics, anthropology), and as I say, I love it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending