The Student Room Group

Anyone offered Criminology at Nottingham?

Daughter has been offered Criminology as didn’t get grades for Law. Is anyone on this course?
Reply 1
Original post by Dotty and Dolly
Daughter has been offered Criminology as didn’t get grades for Law. Is anyone on this course?

That happened to me too. I wanted to do Law with Spanish but didn't get the grades, I got offered Criminology instead. Currently in the process of deciding if I want to accept it or choose a different university with the course I want. Many people have told me that you shouldn't settle for a course purely because you like a university and it's status. What matters is whether you like the course you were offered, you will spend 3-4 years on it after all.
If your daughter likes criminology then go for it! I think some people do a law conversion at the end of the course and then transfer to law.
By itself, criminology is very niche and often teaches you more about why criminals do crime/psychology etc rather than legal stuff. It doesn't seem to have many career options though (although that's just my opinion). May be helpful if you are sure you want to do criminal law?
Reply 2
Original post by Saskia_K9.
That happened to me too. I wanted to do Law with Spanish but didn't get the grades, I got offered Criminology instead. Currently in the process of deciding if I want to accept it or choose a different university with the course I want. Many people have told me that you shouldn't settle for a course purely because you like a university and it's status. What matters is whether you like the course you were offered, you will spend 3-4 years on it after all.
If your daughter likes criminology then go for it! I think some people do a law conversion at the end of the course and then transfer to law.
By itself, criminology is very niche and often teaches you more about why criminals do crime/psychology etc rather than legal stuff. It doesn't seem to have many career options though (although that's just my opinion). May be helpful if you are sure you want to do criminal law?

In the exact same boat lmao, fell one grade below what I needed for Law with Spanish Law and got offered criminology. Honestly tempted to resit and try again next year. Looked at the law conversion path but i the 3 years of criminology don’t completely convince me ngl

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending