The Student Room Group

tenancy + boyfriend

My tenancy agreement (For a student flat) doesn't allow for double tenancy (in my 1 bed flat). If he signs for a flat elsewhere and becomes a tenant for his own flat, but stays with me most of the time, is this allowed instead? Is there laws on this? Is it against my agreement? I just don't want to be told off. Or should I just keep quiet and let him stay most nights anyway, given he finds his own flat.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Yorkshire Tea
My tenancy agreement (For a student flat) doesn't allow for double tenancy (in my 1 bed flat). If he signs for a flat elsewhere and becomes a tenant for his own flat, but stays with me most of the time, is this allowed instead? Is there laws on this? Is it against my agreement? I just don't want to be told off. Or should I just keep quiet and let him stay most nights anyway, given he finds his own flat.

Hi Yorkshire Tea,
Without having an understanding of tenancy agreement, it's hard to be sure, but it is likely that having your partner stay with you most of the time would be an infringement of your tenancy agreement. I'd recommend reading through and understanding it thoroughly but also, there are many student accommodation providers that would allow dual-occupancy (for example, at Student Roost, we do at no extra cost) so it may be worth exploring all of your options first before you proceed.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hey there!
I'd 100% fully check through your tenancy agreement for this. My first year accommodation contract explicitly said that guests weren't allowed to stay over for more than 3 days at a time and that we'd have to sign any guests in and out on arrival and departure. You can find occupancies that say 'perfect for couples' in their listing but every landlord is different and you should definitely consult them before just going ahead with it. Also, have you considered the costs of buying two separate flats when one of them will be empty most of the time? Rent is more than you expect it to be and sometimes loans don't cover it all so I'm not sure it's the best idea to rent out a flat you wouldn't be living in at least more than half of the week.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
It's private accommodation as I'm not in first year so there is no sign-ins etc. Plus I've already signed for my 1 bed so I cant un-sign, nor can he join it. I am fully aware of the cost as durham is going through a housing crisis that has made the news- there are literally no accommodation spaces left anywhere.

Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there!
I'd 100% fully check through your tenancy agreement for this. My first year accommodation contract explicitly said that guests weren't allowed to stay over for more than 3 days at a time and that we'd have to sign any guests in and out on arrival and departure. You can find occupancies that say 'perfect for couples' in their listing but every landlord is different and you should definitely consult them before just going ahead with it. Also, have you considered the costs of buying two separate flats when one of them will be empty most of the time? Rent is more than you expect it to be and sometimes loans don't cover it all so I'm not sure it's the best idea to rent out a flat you wouldn't be living in at least more than half of the week.

Hope this helped!
It's private accommodation as I'm not in first year so there is no sign-ins etc. Plus I've already signed for my 1 bed so I cant un-sign, nor can he join it. I am fully aware of the cost as durham is going through a housing crisis that has made the news- there are literally no accommodation spaces left anywhere.

Hey there!
This is completely understandable. My advice is to carry on as you are for the remainder of this year and then maybe look into getting a duel occupancy for the next academic year. Definitely consult your contract because in some cases, landlords can revoke your tenancy if you breach it as you've signed for it. It just depends if your partner is willing to pay the extra for another flat. Completely up to you!

Let me know if you have any more questions

No you can have people around, no law against that. As long as he's not living with you literally 7 days a week, then there's no issue.
Reply 6
thanks guys. In the end, I revoked my tenancy and moved way out of the city as I was priced out by rising costs .. £900 a month is too much for a damp flat in the centre of Durham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending