The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 5 of 5]

Scroll to see replies

I’m not sure how well placed the contributors are to answering this question, but I’ll ask here in the hope of gaining a little insight. My daughter is thinking to give this application to medicine her all, and if unsuccessful, she’ll accept her 5th choice which is probably going to be biomedical science (we are hopeful she’ll be offered her 5th choice if medicine falls through).

My question relates to the personal statement. I know that medical schools don’t really use the PS as a vital selection tool but I’m assuming that all students aspiring to med school gear their PS to that end - acceptance into the A100 course. That leads to the concern that a PS written by an aspiring doctor detailing their desire to study medicine might not be viewed favourably by the biosciences admissions team, especially if the course is oversubscribed?

Or am I worrying about nothing?
Original post by Somethingso
I’m not sure how well placed the contributors are to answering this question, but I’ll ask here in the hope of gaining a little insight. My daughter is thinking to give this application to medicine her all, and if unsuccessful, she’ll accept her 5th choice which is probably going to be biomedical science (we are hopeful she’ll be offered her 5th choice if medicine falls through).

My question relates to the personal statement. I know that medical schools don’t really use the PS as a vital selection tool but I’m assuming that all students aspiring to med school gear their PS to that end - acceptance into the A100 course. That leads to the concern that a PS written by an aspiring doctor detailing their desire to study medicine might not be viewed favourably by the biosciences admissions team, especially if the course is oversubscribed?

Admission tutors for biomedical sciences are aware that medicine candidates will be applying to their course with a medicine personal statement and biomedicine as their 5th option which will be fine. As their courses are usually not over-prescribed they tend to accept medicine personal statements. Some universities may not accept them though - be sure to email their admissions team if not sure (it should say on their website otherwise).
Reply 22

hi, i applied to biomedicine at queen mary's with a full medicine personal statement, and still got an offer very quick so don't worry, but some uni's may be strict so it's best to check

Agree with other posts. It does not matter that PS geared towards medicine. My daughter applied last year with 5th choice of chemistry in medicine ( or something like that) at Newcastle and received an offer within 24 hours. I think these kind of courses accept that they might be second choice and will still be getting a very good candidate. Good luck to your daughter and when she has done her UCAT, post back with her score and you will receive lots of great advice on where best to apply.
Reply 24
About applying to welsh and Scottish university , Is it worth for the rest of UK candidate to apply to them . I heard they prioritise their students and that the ones that get in , are the highest achievers ?
Original post by Ibmoahsa
About applying to welsh and Scottish university , Is it worth for the rest of UK candidate to apply to them . I heard they prioritise their students and that the ones that get in , are the highest achievers ?

Unless you have A*A*A* and a UCAT of 3000+ and band 1, your chances of getting in are slim for Scottish unis if you're RUK. For Cardiff, my advice would be to just not bother. Their selection procedure is vague at best and lots of RUK students with amazing stats apply each year only to get rejected pre-interview. You should sit the UCAT first then apply strategically to universities based on the score - but many on TSR would say don't apply to Cardiff or Scottish universities if you're RUK to be on the safe side.
Reply 26
Original post by medic0975
Unless you have A*A*A* and a UCAT of 3000+ and band 1, your chances of getting in are slim for Scottish unis if you're RUK. For Cardiff, my advice would be to just not bother. Their selection procedure is vague at best and lots of RUK students with amazing stats apply each year only to get rejected pre-interview. You should sit the UCAT first then apply strategically to universities based on the score - but many on TSR would say don't apply to Cardiff or Scottish universities if you're RUK to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the replay, I was starting looking at his options and this clarify the shortlist of univ before he sits UCAT.
Thank you!
Reply 28
Hiya im looking to apply to kings med emdp programme for 2024 and the thing is i studied at at a comprehensive school from year 7 to year year 11 and moved to a grammar 6th form, can i still apply to the programme? I ask because some people who went to schools like Brampton went for the emdp programme? So im unsure as to whether i should go for it ?
Reply 29
Original post by HIYA8787
Hiya im looking to apply to kings med emdp programme for 2024 and the thing is i studied at at a comprehensive school from year 7 to year year 11 and moved to a grammar 6th form, can i still apply to the programme? I ask because some people who went to schools like Brampton went for the emdp programme? So im unsure as to whether i should go for it ?

Brampton school is not grammar, The safest thing is to call them or email,but I think if you in grammar then don't risk it. there is many programs like EMDP that you can apply to even if you go to grammar ( southampton BM6 and many more which looks at your family situation and area you live in ). look around for the gateway courses
Reply 30
Original post by Ibmoahsa
Brampton school is not grammar, The safest thing is to call them or email,but I think if you in grammar then don't risk it. there is many programs like EMDP that you can apply to even if you go to grammar ( southampton BM6 and many more which looks at your family situation and area you live in ). look around for the gateway courses

Yeah I l’ll give them a call thank you !!
Hey it’s incredibly hard to predict UCAT scores so really we(meaning other people who are much more well versed 💀) will be able to help until you get you actual UCAT score.

Best of luck with your revision!
That depends on where you apply, contextual data etc. For the moment focus on getting the best score you can:smile:
Hi,
I am hoping to apply to the kings EMDP course next year and I was wondering wether my Chemistry A-level grade would disadvantage me. Other than my chemistry grade I do meet the eligibility requirements.
GCSEs: 99988887777
A-levels (What I think I have achieved) Biology: A Chemistry: C Sociology: A* psychology: A*
UCAT: I haven’t sat it but last year I got around 2600 Band 2 and I am preparing now so that I can get a much higher score.
WP: I haven’t completed any that matches the ones kings’ mentioned but I did complete the Kings College lecture series and I did a Sutton trust summer school which I may include in my personal statement.
The rest: I go to a state school and I am care experienced
I just wanted to know wether my C in chemistry will disadvantage me, and if anybody knows anyone that has got lower than ABB but still received an interview for kings?
I am hoping to apply for 2024, I really hope I get a B in chemistry, however I was just wondering if anybody knows anyone that has gotten in with a C or grades lower than ABB, because it says on the UCAS website that they may take a fourth subject into consideration, if one of my other grades is lower. I am predicting that I will get an A in biology, an A* in sociology and an A* in psychology but I still think I might get a C in chemistry. Will Kings still consider me with ACA*A*?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Serencharter
I am hoping to apply for 2024, I really hope I get a B in chemistry, however I was just wondering if anybody knows anyone that has gotten in with a C or grades lower than ABB, because it says on the UCAS website that they may take a fourth subject into consideration, if one of my other grades is lower. I am predicting that I will get an A in biology, an A* in sociology and an A* in psychology but I still think I might get a C in chemistry. Will Kings still consider me with ACA*A*?

I am pretty sure that everywhere will need an A in Chemistry. It's the important one that all unis ask for and would not imagine that an A* in any other subject would make up for it.
You are better taking 3 A levels (unless wanting Oxbridge) and getting best grades than spreading yourself too thin. Focus on that chemistry as that is the grade that you absolutely need.
Thought of a tutor? Asking teacher for extra work? Start on past papers? Seeing if a gap year A level student in year ahead will tutor you for free (will be good on their CV too).
Original post by the mumivator
I am pretty sure that everywhere will need an A in Chemistry. It's the important one that all unis ask for and would not imagine that an A* in any other subject would make up for it.
You are better taking 3 A levels (unless wanting Oxbridge) and getting best grades than spreading yourself too thin. Focus on that chemistry as that is the grade that you absolutely need.
Thought of a tutor? Asking teacher for extra work? Start on past papers? Seeing if a gap year A level student in year ahead will tutor you for free (will be good on their CV too).

I have already sat my exams this year and these are just my predictions. On the Kings’ UCAS website, it mentioned that they would consider a fourth subject if an applicant fell short of another grade in another subject and I have heard rumours that many other applicants received interviews with grades lower than ABB and I am only asking if this is true and if anyone else has heard the same. If thats not the case, I will apply to Leicester and Southampton which specifically told me that I don’t need a-level chemistry and they will take my third and fourth subject into consideration. I am just asking here if anybody knows anyone who has received interviews with grades lower than ABB for the Kings’ emdp course
Reply 37
Original post by Serencharter
I have already sat my exams this year and these are just my predictions. On the Kings’ UCAS website, it mentioned that they would consider a fourth subject if an applicant fell short of another grade in another subject and I have heard rumours that many other applicants received interviews with grades lower than ABB and I am only asking if this is true and if anyone else has heard the same. If thats not the case, I will apply to Leicester and Southampton which specifically told me that I don’t need a-level chemistry and they will take my third and fourth subject into consideration. I am just asking here if anybody knows anyone who has received interviews with grades lower than ABB for the Kings’ emdp course

I am not aware of the Kings position sorry, but plenty of places dont need chem at all. Southampton is one for sure. But does need Biol. You would need to read them all and be strategic once you have your UCAT score. Post back on this megathread at that point. Otherwise its all a bit speculative.

Good luck.
(edited 9 months ago)
Hello,

4th year Bm5 student at southampton here 👋

A resource that I really found helpful when I was looking into applying was this document from the MSC. It really was a good guide to narrow down which unis fit best and where I had the best chances.
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2877/entry-requirements-document-2022-digital.pdf

Hope its helpful to you as well.

Don’t hesitate if you have any other questions

Cynthia ( University of Southampton student ambassador)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk
(edited 9 months ago)
GCSEs;
Double science: 6,6
enterprise: L2D
ICT: L2D
English language: 8 (resat)
English lit: 5
Maths: 7
History: 6
Product design: 6

A levels:
Biology, Chemistry, Politics, Predicted AAA

UCAT:
VR: 660
DM: 670
QR: 710
AR:640
Total: 2680
SJT: Band 2

online work experince at Observe GP, and brighton medical school aswell as local step into NHS online program

meet most WP flags as i recieve bursary and went to low progression school, aswell as living in a deprived area, parents recieve benefits

have researched a bit and see that ARU based on the last cycle woukd accept me. however im not sure if the cut off is accurate and if it will reflect to 2024 entry, have no preferences for schools.

also to note, i had a gap year between year 11 and 12 but have checked and emailed most schools which say this does not affect my application

thanks in advance
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending