The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 5 of 5]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by free_dom_for
GCSEs;
Double science: 6,6
enterprise: L2D
ICT: L2D
English language: 8 (resat)
English lit: 5
Maths: 7
History: 6
Product design: 6

A levels:
Biology, Chemistry, Politics, Predicted AAA

UCAT:
VR: 660
DM: 670
QR: 710
AR:640
Total: 2680
SJT: Band 2

online work experince at Observe GP, and brighton medical school aswell as local step into NHS online program

meet most WP flags as i recieve bursary and went to low progression school, aswell as living in a deprived area, parents recieve benefits

have researched a bit and see that ARU based on the last cycle woukd accept me. however im not sure if the cut off is accurate and if it will reflect to 2024 entry, have no preferences for schools.

also to note, i had a gap year between year 11 and 12 but have checked and emailed most schools which say this does not affect my application

thanks in advance

I think you might be the first of the cycle! @GANFYD
Original post by GGIN
I think you might be the first of the cycle! @GANFYD

Might have been. Did it in the first day (the 10th)
Would appreciate any suggestions for med schools!

GCSEs:
Maths 9
Literature 9
Language 9
Double science 99
Psychology 9
Geography 8
French 8
Photography 8

A Levels (predicted):
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Psychology A*

UCAT:
2810 / Band 1
VR 740
DM 730
QR 700
AR 640

Work experience:
- Weekly volunteer at a carehome for the elderly and those living with dementia
- Camp volunteer on a holiday run for women with disabilities (providing personal care, emotional support etc)

I'd love to go somewhere with lots of green spaces or easily accessible countryside but of course I can't be picky

Thank you for any suggestions! :smile:
Original post by Rhiannon29

GCSEs:
Maths 9
Literature 9
Language 9
Double science 99
Psychology 9
Geography 8
French 8
Photography 8

A Levels (predicted):
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Psychology A*

UCAT:
2810 / Band 1
VR 740
DM 730
QR 700
AR 640

Work experience:
- Camp volunteer on a holiday run for women with disabilities (providing personal care, emotional support etc)

I'd love to go somewhere with lots of green spaces or easily accessible countryside but of course I can't be picky

nottingham/lincoln look good because of high vr and band 1. also look at hull york which score top 6 gcses and take into account sjt pre interview; they also look at sjt post interview. uea also look at ucat and sjt post interview so could be good. keele is probably the most rural uni but it would be riskier as the r+r form is subjective, though you do have some good material for that. leicester and aston score gcses and ucat so score yourself for those unis. plymouth and aru are also options (rank purely on ucat).

GCSEs:
Maths 9
Literature 9
Language 9
Double science 99
Psychology 9
Geography 8
French 8
Photography 8

A Levels (predicted):
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Psychology A*

UCAT:
2810 / Band 1
VR 740
DM 730
QR 700
AR 640

Work experience:

You would be able to get into the prestigious Lancaster University med school with your GCSEs and predicted A Levels. It is a campus university mostly surrounded by farms, and there is a mountain nearby to the university (although is hard to walk there). Lancaster is also a short train ride from the Lake District, and a short drive from the Forest of Bowland AONB.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

GCSEs:
Maths 9
Literature 9
Language 9
Double science 99
Psychology 9
Geography 8
French 8
Photography 8

A Levels (predicted):
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Psychology A*

UCAT:
2810 / Band 1
VR 740
DM 730
QR 700
AR 640

Work experience:

Are you contextual or non-contextual? Because that would change the amount of universities which you could strategically apply to. Agree Nottingham would be a good shout. Avoid Cardiff/Scottish universities if you're from England.
Original post by reubenn05
nottingham/lincoln look good because of high vr and band 1. also look at hull york which score top 6 gcses and take into account sjt pre interview; they also look at sjt post interview. uea also look at ucat and sjt post interview so could be good. keele is probably the most rural uni but it would be riskier as the r+r form is subjective, though you do have some good material for that. leicester and aston score gcses and ucat so score yourself for those unis. plymouth and aru are also options (rank purely on ucat).

Great, thanks for such a comprehensive reply :smile:
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
You would be able to get into the prestigious Lancaster University med school with your GCSEs and predicted A Levels. It is a campus university mostly surrounded by farms, and there is a mountain nearby to the university (although is hard to walk there). Lancaster is also a short train ride from the Lake District, and a short drive from the Forest of Bowland AONB.

Sounds lovely, I'll take a look thank you
Original post by medic0975
Are you contextual or non-contextual? Because that would change the amount of universities which you could strategically apply to. Agree Nottingham would be a good shout. Avoid Cardiff/Scottish universities if you're from England.

Non-contextual (but state school) and English. You're not the first person to warn me about non-english unis which I am a bit gutted about to be honest - was very keen on Edinburgh and Cardiff :/
Reply 49
Original post by free_dom_for
GCSEs;
Double science: 6,6
enterprise: L2D
ICT: L2D
English language: 8 (resat)
English lit: 5
Maths: 7
History: 6
Product design: 6

A levels:
Biology, Chemistry, Politics, Predicted AAA

UCAT:
VR: 660
DM: 670
QR: 710
AR:640
Total: 2680
SJT: Band 2

online work experince at Observe GP, and brighton medical school aswell as local step into NHS online program

meet most WP flags as i recieve bursary and went to low progression school, aswell as living in a deprived area, parents recieve benefits

have researched a bit and see that ARU based on the last cycle woukd accept me. however im not sure if the cut off is accurate and if it will reflect to 2024 entry, have no preferences for schools.

also to note, i had a gap year between year 11 and 12 but have checked and emailed most schools which say this does not affect my application

thanks in advance

I am no expert in WP applications, I'm afraid and you are going to have to check GCSE requirements carefully to make sure you meet minimum requirements.

Check out Plymouth, ARU, SGUL, KMMS, Edge Hill. You are close to the cut off for rhese schools for this year, but I would be hopeful it won't keep going up!
Also have a look at Liverpool (though you do not meet their standard GCSE requirements, so check if WP lowers that).
You have not mentioned WEx, but if this is good, Keele and Sunderland are options.
You can also look at Foundation Year courses, if you qualify, as requirements are often lower, though competition can be worse. Check if your courses lower cut offs or guarantee interviews.
Reply 50

GCSEs:
Maths 9
Literature 9
Language 9
Double science 99
Psychology 9
Geography 8
French 8
Photography 8

A Levels (predicted):
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Psychology A*

UCAT:
2810 / Band 1
VR 740
DM 730
QR 700
AR 640

Work experience:

You have lots of options and shorter to list where to avoid, I think.
Unfortunately, Edinburgh has needed a >3000 UCAT for RUK for many years and Glasgow and St Andrews both seemed to be above your cut off this year. But Aberdeen and Dundee may well be OK.
As pointed out, Cardiff is just too unpredictable for non-Welsh, so I would avoid as you have lots of other options.
I would also avoid KMMS, who contextualize everyone, so unless you have WP flags, you are unlikely to be shortlisted.

Your UCAT is below this year's cut off for Bristol, Newcastle, Sheffield and close to that for Kings, I think.

Other than that, I would have thought you can choose between the rest :smile:

Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador

Lancaster is not a prestigious university for medicine, they are all considered equal, and OP would need to sit BMAT to apply, which they have not said if they are doing and would involve applying blind. With stats like they have, there are lots of UCAT med schools to choose from and I would not advise sitting BMAT unless they were particularly keen on a particular BMAT med school.
Guys I just want to know how competitive are the foundation med courses? Just having a think if my a levels haven’t gone as I hoped they would have
Reply 52
Original post by B7861
Guys I just want to know how competitive are the foundation med courses? Just having a think if my a levels haven’t gone as I hoped they would have

Like everything else, they vary, but generally, each med school's Foundation course has more applicants per place than the standard A100, though eg Edge Hill's Foundation course is still less competitive than eg KMMS's standard course
Reply 53
Does anybody know the cut offs for UCAT at Glasgow/St Andrews for RUK students for 2023 entry (last cycle)? I’ve looked online and Googled but I can’t seem to find them anywhere.
Original post by danai m
Does anybody know the cut offs for UCAT at Glasgow/St Andrews for RUK students for 2023 entry (last cycle)? I’ve looked online and Googled but I can’t seem to find them anywhere.

I believe St A was 2600 for interview
Reply 55
Original post by _Rusty_

Without any WP flags? Certainly felt higher than that.
Original post by _Rusty_

Hi Rusty! that sounds much lower than I estimated or thought it was last year…
Reply 57
Hello! I would like some suggestions for medical schools!

GCSEs:
English Language - 8
English Literature - 9
Maths - 9
Further Maths - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Religious Studies - 9
Geography - 9
French - 9
Spanish 8

Predicted A-Levels:
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Maths A

UCAT Score:
Verbal Reasoning 660
Decision Making 710
Quantitative Reasoning 690
Abstract Reasoning 700
Total Score 2760
SJT Band 1

Work Experience
One week shadowing anaesthetists
Volunteering for 2 months at a neurorehabilitation ward

Widening Participation
Parents on universal credit and receive child benefits
Free School Meals and also eligible for UCAT Bursary
Polar 2 and IMD decile 2

Would prefer medical schools that are primarily lecture based/seminars but I’m not too picky
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by lmaoitsme

GCSEs:
English Language - 8
English Literature - 9
Maths - 9
Further Maths - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Religious Studies - 9
Geography - 9
French - 9
Spanish 8

Predicted A-Levels:
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Maths A

UCAT Score:
Verbal Reasoning 660
Decision Making 710
Abstract Reasoning 700
Total Score 2760
SJT Band 1

Work Experience

Widening Participation
Polar 2 and IMD decile 2

Would prefer medical schools that are primarily lecture based/seminars but I’m not too picky

very strong results
added factor of contextual points
will let someone else kick off the advice, but want to reassure you that you will have many options :smile:
ps edit to add after reading post below that Leeds also value high GCSE grades which is a plus point for you and they are heavy lecture etc with good opportunities for clinical placements from early on. Proviso is that we have no benchmark UCAT to guide us from last or previous years as they have only just reverted to using UCAT after many years of BMAT
Still, if that deters other people from applying
( ie not knowing if their UCAT will be enough) that could work in your favour as you have strong GSCE grades
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by lmaoitsme

GCSEs:
English Language - 8
English Literature - 9
Maths - 9
Further Maths - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Religious Studies - 9
Geography - 9
French - 9
Spanish 8

Predicted A-Levels:
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Maths A

UCAT Score:
Verbal Reasoning 660
Decision Making 710
Abstract Reasoning 700
Total Score 2760
SJT Band 1

Work Experience

Widening Participation
Polar 2 and IMD decile 2

definitely look at hyms, although its pbl, because they score top 6 gcses and also score contextual data and sjt pre and post interview. you'd score 92 points (based on last year's deciles) out of 100, which is very strong. sgul, cutoff last year 2630, look at sjt post interview. nottingham/lincoln you score 136. aru, liverpool (low interview to offer ratio), plymouth (pbl), edge hill (only 15 places), uea you are higher than last year's cutoffs (though with uea many people with higher ucats apply there because they score ucat 50% post interview). aston and leicester are also options, both use a point system with ucat and gcses, and aston has a lower point cutoff for contextual applicants. you score 32 points for aston and 59.5 for leicester.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending