The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 5 of 5]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shimul

No chemistry ?

Yeah but some universities still accept me
Reply 6061
Original post by Almond07
Yeah but some universities still accept me

True but you’ve greatly narrowed your pool in an already competitive field. Chemistry usually required as a reflection of what the degree is about.
Original post by shimul

True but you’ve greatly narrowed your pool in an already competitive field. Chemistry usually required as a reflection of what the degree is about.

Yeah I know : ( but like I still can and I’m going to try my best if not then I’ll just apply for biomedicine at queen Mary’s because it accepts me with the a levels I have but like I need to use all my cards so for UCAT which time shall I start revising if I want to give the exam in mid August
Yeah I know : ( but like I still can and I’m going to try my best if not then I’ll just apply for biomedicine at queen Mary’s because it accepts me with the a levels I have but like I need to use all my cards so for UCAT which time shall I start revising if I want to give the exam in mid August
I think you need to do a bit more research into what is actually required and consider your options. With medicine you really need to commit 100% effort into the application process - otherwise there is really not much point.
Original post by Madmedmum
I think you need to do a bit more research into what is actually required and consider your options. With medicine you really need to commit 100% effort into the application process - otherwise there is really not much point.

Yeah I know that’s why I started researching since September and I volunteer at a hospital and have done many work experiences : ))

Yeah I know that’s why I started researching since September and I volunteer at a hospital and have done many work experiences : ))

And will do many more activities to help my application: ))
And will do many more activities to help my application: ))
Remember to place these into context don't need to do too much
Original post by louisaf
Aston also have different scoring system
Newcastle do also now which is new (a levels are scored if you've done them, otherwise GCSE)
Hi, was hoping to get some help. I'm y12 currently and looking at open days to decide what unis to apply to (have no clue apart from wanting to apply to Cambridge). I'll leave my 'stats' and what I'd probably want from a uni. I've looked at league tables etc but they aren't very helpful, and I don't know anyone who has taken med at uni to say what it's like.

GCSEs: 14A*s - this includes triple science and maths and english language
A Level Subjects: Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths
Predictions: 4 A*s
UCAT: We'll have to wait and see, hopefully strong
Work Experience: Done some virtually, have two days organised in easter half term, applied through a clinical programme for summer holidays. Also volunteered with school for five years, litter picked for 3 years, and currently applying for volunteering position with a charity and one with a hospital.
No contextual/WP

Basically what I want from a uni is for it to be pretty (since I'm about to spend at least five years here I want to like it lol), pretty good academic record and probably a place which is interesting outside of the uni itself. I'm quite ambitious, but clearly med is very competitive. I've also not really travelled around the UK much so I don't have any preferences of places I've visited before.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where I should look at?
Original post by study23!
Hi, was hoping to get some help. I'm y12 currently and looking at open days to decide what unis to apply to (have no clue apart from wanting to apply to Cambridge). I'll leave my 'stats' and what I'd probably want from a uni. I've looked at league tables etc but they aren't very helpful, and I don't know anyone who has taken med at uni to say what it's like.
Work Experience: Done some virtually, have two days organised in easter half term, applied through a clinical programme for summer holidays. Also volunteered with school for five years, litter picked for 3 years, and currently applying for volunteering position with a charity and one with a hospital.
No contextual/WP
Basically what I want from a uni is for it to be pretty (since I'm about to spend at least five years here I want to like it lol), pretty good academic record and probably a place which is interesting outside of the uni itself. I'm quite ambitious, but clearly med is very competitive. I've also not really travelled around the UK much so I don't have any preferences of places I've visited before.

I think the best recommendations I have after applying twice is to look around a university you like the look of just to get a feel of what it’s about and what university is like in general. It’s very difficult to say since the ucat determines where you apply to. Then once you get your ucat apply strategically but also to where you want to go and what’s important to you. For me i wanted to go to a russel group uni that is campus based but at the end of the day you also need to look where your most likely to get into which you can’t decide until you know what your ucat is
Original post by study23!
No contextual/WP
I'm currently in y13 - last year I did a lot of research prior but when attending open days tried to go to a spread of higher and lower ucat unis which I would consider! I'd probably recommend doing the same as it is very difficult to predict how your ucat will go which is ofc a big factor in deciding where to apply.
If you want somewhere pretty I'd recommend researching Bristol and maybe Birmingham (campus is lovely) :smile:
Reply 6071
Big thank you to this thread and @GANFYD for excellent advice. I’m a gap year student who received 4 interviews, 2 offers and 2 reserve list places, due to strategic application s. Thanks again and good luck
Can I do medicine with these gcse grades and what unis would be most likely to accept
eng lang: 7, eng lit: 7, maths: 7, combined science: 87, history: 8, food tech: 8, french: 4, computer science: 3
Original post by anonymousssss356
Can I do medicine with these gcse grades and what unis would be most likely to accept
eng lang: 7, eng lit: 7, maths: 7, combined science: 87, history: 8, food tech: 8, french: 4, computer science: 3

Exeter: first one I thought of. Only 1 GCSE requirement: minimum grade 4 in english language. GCSE’s not used in selection process.
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine/medicine/
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/recruitmentsites/docs/BMBS_admissions_policy_2022-23v5.pdf
They only use predicted grades in A Levels and UCAT decile.
(edited 6 days ago)
Reply 6074
Original post by anonymousssss356

I have already listed the ones to avoid in your other thread
Original post by username6042973
I doubt foundation courses would be an option. From the top of my head Leeds and hull York and Lancaster need you to be predicted below ABB and above BBC to be able to apply for their foundation year courses which is a bit weird. But there might be other unis with foundation years that allow you to apply with those grades.

I still don't quite understand the foundation route - try as I might! Daughter predicted 3 As, 9,8,8,7,7,7,7,7,7 at GCSE, comprehensive school (though not under achieving), brought up as young carer with 2 very disabled brothers. Would this count as WP for perhaps a foundation route (allowing her to continue to caring role in some way) Any thoughts please?
Original post by AnneKidd
I still don't quite understand the foundation route - try as I might! Daughter predicted 3 As, 9,8,8,7,7,7,7,7,7 at GCSE, comprehensive school (though not under achieving), brought up as young carer with 2 very disabled brothers. Would this count as WP for perhaps a foundation route (allowing her to continue to caring role in some way) Any thoughts please?

well, if your daughter isn’t eligible, I don’t know who is!
yet, as I know little about foundation applications
( and am concerned with 3 A predictions she might be too high for some- I know….!) will tag in the eminent and knowledgeable @GANFYD
(edited 2 days ago)
Original post by MedMama
well, if your daughter isn’t eligible, I don’t know who is!
yet, as I know little about foundation applications
( and am concerned with 3 A predictions she might be too high for some- I know….!) will tag in the eminent and knowledgeable @GANFYD

Thank you, that is extremely helpful and encouraging
Reply 6078
Original post by AnneKidd

Foundation courses are for people with widening participation flags, so to increase the diversity of people who end up practicing medicine.
Sadly, "widening participation flags" are not a universal thing, so you have to go through each med school's criteria and check which ones your daughter will fit. The courses are on here and will link you to the website, but check 2025 entry is not different, when it comes out
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/3060/uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf

But can you specify exactly why you are interested in a foundation year? Dependent on UCAT, your daughter meets standard entry criteria and the foundation courses just give a year of extra learning before starting the standard 5 yr course. Plus, as pointed out, she may not be accepted on some, as her grades are too high.

Medicine is pretty full on, but the 6 yr course is not generally less full on, just has an introductory year to make sure everyone is up to the required standards. Standard entry courses also often have allowances for those with WP flags, eg lower cut offs, enhanced scores, and St Andrews certainly has young carer as a criteria for this.

So if you can expand a bit on what you are actually wanting and why, or ask any more questions, people can try adn help (though I am not an expert on Foundation Courses, at all)
Thank you for taking the time to reply. We really appreciate your advice.

In summary, probably like most medicine applicants, our daughter is diligent and very determined to study medicine, even if that means studying abroad. Her GCSEs 9 8 8 7 7 7 7 7 6, are good, but not top grades. Additionally she completed L6 last year (biology chemistry and German) but very unfortunately her Gran, to whom she was very close, had a shocking stroke out of the blue, and finally passed away 2 weeks later, 2 days before daughter’s ucat. The whole thing was very shocking (daughter didn’t score well) and our daughter decided under the pressure of everything, to resit the L6 and repeat the ucat, hopefully in better circumstances this year. So, she has taken 3 years (which was not necessary for the A levels, but was for the ucat) which excludes several universities. She is a hands on carer and is very involved with her brothers’ care. I hear what you’re saying about foundation courses (I was probably just thinking that it out daughter qualified for such a course, it would reduce some stress re exams - I’m assuming that high ucat scores are required just the same).
We are in northwest, Uclan offer WP for local students but daughter didn’t get on to their scheme which was disappointing.
Please could I ask where to find all the information we require to establish which universities might be possible for our daughter - it surely isn’t the university website as there is very little information there.
Again, thank you for any guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending