The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 5 of 5]

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone, I hope this is in the right place! I am looking to apply for Medicine, 2024 entry, at Keele, Liverpool, maybe Newcastle, maybe Nottingham, maybe Leicester.

I achieved all 9's in my GCSEs, Maths, English language, English literature, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, German, RS and History and am predicted 3 A*s for A level Chemistry Biology and Psychology.

I recently did my UCAT and got 2790 Band 2
740 VR
710 DM
660 QR
680 AR

I have volunteered at local charity shops, done a weeks experience in a local hospital, volunteered at another hospital and might do another week shadowing again. Also I have completed Brighton and Sussex Virtual Work experience and founded the medical society at my old school. I have also done Grade 8 on Piano and Grade 7 on Violin, am a dedicated orchestra member, and have achieved all DofE awards.

Odds are I am applying to Keele and Liverpool, I really liked it there, and I also liked Newcastle, however I am aware they have a high UCAT cutoff. Last year I think it was 2800 and odds are it will increase again. Would this be too risky an application? Or do they allow slightly under the cutoff and take a more holistic approach?

Also with Nottingham I used their calculation system for my points for GCSE and UCAT. With the GCSE score I achieved full marks, and the UCAT scores were 46 for the cognitive skills and 45 for the SJ. Do these sound like scores with which I have a chance for Interview?

For Leicester I used their scoring system, but they said it could be subject to change. I got full marks on the GCSE aspect and 27.5 for the UCAT out of 32. Do these sound like scores able for me to get an interview?

Thanks for any advice!
Original post by annadmarvel
Hi everyone, I hope this is in the right place! I am looking to apply for Medicine, 2024 entry, at Keele, Liverpool, maybe Newcastle, maybe Nottingham, maybe Leicester.

I achieved all 9's in my GCSEs, Maths, English language, English literature, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, German, RS and History and am predicted 3 A*s for A level Chemistry Biology and Psychology.

740 VR
710 DM
660 QR
680 AR

I have volunteered at local charity shops, done a weeks experience in a local hospital, volunteered at another hospital and might do another week shadowing again. Also I have completed Brighton and Sussex Virtual Work experience and founded the medical society at my old school. I have also done Grade 8 on Piano and Grade 7 on Violin, am a dedicated orchestra member, and have achieved all DofE awards.

Odds are I am applying to Keele and Liverpool, I really liked it there, and I also liked Newcastle, however I am aware they have a high UCAT cutoff. Last year I think it was 2800 and odds are it will increase again. Would this be too risky an application? Or do they allow slightly under the cutoff and take a more holistic approach?

Also with Nottingham I used their calculation system for my points for GCSE and UCAT. With the GCSE score I achieved full marks, and the UCAT scores were 46 for the cognitive skills and 45 for the SJ. Do these sound like scores with which I have a chance for Interview?

For Leicester I used their scoring system, but they said it could be subject to change. I got full marks on the GCSE aspect and 27.5 for the UCAT out of 32. Do these sound like scores able for me to get an interview?

Thanks for any advice!

I think Newcastle might be risky, their cutoff is usually mid 2800 I think

somebody correct me if I’m wrong

740 VR
710 DM
660 QR
680 AR

Thanks for any advice!

yes newcastle would be risky as you are below last year's ucat cut off. for nottingham your score is lower than last year's cutoff so i would avoid. for leicester your score is last year's cutoff so may be risky. keele and liverpool look good as long as you can reflect well on your experiences for keele's r+r form.
(edited 9 months ago)
Guys quick question….. do any of the following medical schools score GCSEs or are they solely UCAT cutoff

Sheffield
Newcastle
Manchester
Original post by B7861
Guys quick question….. do any of the following medical schools score GCSEs or are they solely UCAT cutoff

Sheffield
Newcastle
Manchester

they're all solely ucat but manchester does have a holistic pathway for applicants that narrowly miss the ucat cutoff
Reply 65
Original post by GGIN
Hi, i found that the really useful reflective diary on the Bhm website goes to a deadlink. The diary is also available to download from the page below if wished.

https://www.rcgp.org.uk/your-career/resources

I also genuinely love the university itself as well. I enjoyed being at a campus university, as everything was at a convenient distance, and it made the community feel really close. We are also only a 15-minute bus ride from the city center and even though it is not a huge city, it has a lot going on. Also, we have a lot of different societies and sports going on, and compete in the largest varsity tournament in Europe- Roses!!. I have played at Roses for 2 years and honestly was a highlight in the calendar for me.
Reply 66
Original post by reubenn05
definitely look at hyms, although its pbl, because they score top 6 gcses and also score contextual data and sjt pre and post interview. you'd score 92 points (based on last year's deciles) out of 100, which is very strong. sgul, cutoff last year 2630, look at sjt post interview. nottingham/lincoln you score 136. aru, liverpool (low interview to offer ratio), plymouth (pbl), edge hill (only 15 places), uea you are higher than last year's cutoffs (though with uea many people with higher ucats apply there because they score ucat 50% post interview). aston and leicester are also options, both use a point system with ucat and gcses, and aston has a lower point cutoff for contextual applicants. you score 32 points for aston and 59.5 for leicester.

Thank you for this! However I think for Leicester 2024 entry, they now differentiate between 9s and 8s so my overall score is 58.5 because of my 8 in English Language. Would it be too risky to apply considering last year cut off for guaranteed interview was 59.5? (taking into account that 2023 entry had inflated GCSEs grades and 9s and 8s were treated the same)
Original post by reubenn05
yes newcastle would be risky as you are below last year's ucat cut off. for nottingham your score is lower than last year's cutoff so i would avoid. for leicester your score is last year's cutoff so may be risky. keele and liverpool look good as long as you can reflect well on your experiences for keele's r+r form.

Ok thank you, what Universities are left open to me with that score?
Ok thank you, what Universities are left open to me with that score?

you have quite a few options, such as the ones that score gcses, like leeds, aston (you score 32 for aston, which should be ok) and qub, and the ones that are purely ucat, like plymouth (cutoff last yr 2690), uea (cutoff last year 2710), aru, edge hill (only 15 places tho), sgul (cutoff last year 2630). manchester may be a bit risky as ucat cut off last yr was 2750.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 69
Original post by lmaoitsme
Hello! I would like some suggestions for medical schools!

GCSEs:
English Language - 8
English Literature - 9
Maths - 9
Further Maths - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Religious Studies - 9
Geography - 9
French - 9
Spanish 8

Predicted A-Levels:
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Maths A

UCAT Score:
Verbal Reasoning 660
Decision Making 710
Quantitative Reasoning 690
Abstract Reasoning 700
Total Score 2760
SJT Band 1

Work Experience
One week shadowing anaesthetists
Volunteering for 2 months at a neurorehabilitation ward

Widening Participation
Parents on universal credit and receive child benefits
Free School Meals and also eligible for UCAT Bursary
Polar 2 and IMD decile 2

Would prefer medical schools that are primarily lecture based/seminars but I’m not too picky

Have a look at Nottingham, Lincoln, Leicester, HYMS, SGUL, Plymouth, QUB, Liverpool, ARU, Edge Hill, UEA, Leeds, Aston, Manchester, KMMS (if your GCSEs are better than the rest of your cohort)

Keele and Sunderland may also be good if you have material for the R&R form

Of these, probably QUB, Nottingham, Lincoln, Leicester, Aston, ARU are least PBL, although most places are pulling away from this, to a degree
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 70

740 VR
710 DM
660 QR
680 AR

Thanks for any advice!

Newcastle have had a UCAT cut off above your score for several years.
Nottingham is very risky without a B1 SJT.
Keele is higely subjective, as they score the R&R form and nobody knows what is needed for this.
Liverpool should be OK, but have a very poor interview to offer ratio

Have a look at Lincoln, Leicester, SGUL, Plymouth, QUB, Liverpool, ARU, Edge Hill, UEA, Leeds, Aberdeen, Barts, you may squeak in to Exeter, Aston and Dundee
Reply 71
Original post by lmaoitsme
Thank you for this! However I think for Leicester 2024 entry, they now differentiate between 9s and 8s so my overall score is 58.5 because of my 8 in English Language. Would it be too risky to apply considering last year cut off for guaranteed interview was 59.5? (taking into account that 2023 entry had inflated GCSEs grades and 9s and 8s were treated the same)

I suspect you will be fine. This year's GCSE cohort grades were lower than the year before and they also have cut some people out by needing A*AA and no longer accepting resits
Reply 72
Which med schools would you suggest applying to with the following GCSEs Chemistry 9, Physics 9, Biology 8, Maths 8, PE 8, English Lang 7, German 7, English Lit 6, RS 6. Predicated A levels - 3 As in Chem, Biol, Phys
I'm not eligible for any Widening Participation
Original post by RKGardner
Which med schools would you suggest applying to with the following GCSEs Chemistry 9, Physics 9, Biology 8, Maths 8, PE 8, English Lang 7, German 7, English Lit 6, RS 6. Predicated A levels - 3 As in Chem, Biol, Phys
I'm not eligible for any Widening Participation

you need to post your ucat score and breakdown to receive specific advice
hi all i just finished my ucat. i got 2760 b2, (630 640 720 770) a little bummed but it is higher than the average. im predicted AAA (chem, maths and geography). what are the best medical schools to think of applying to? right know i think liverpool and ARU are safe but any others?

also other information
gcse:
eng lang/lit 88
chem 9
physics 9
bio 7
maths 7
re 8
geo 8
btec catering D*
(might be missing something but here)

-i've done virtual and one week of physical work experience
-i'm planning on doing an mooc after a few days of rest after my ucat
-i volunteer at my church every sunday to help the elderly at my church. honestly just chatting with them and making them food. i've been doing this since christmas 2021. i also help around with the gardening a little!

i don't think i'm eligible for any wider participation. my school and home address dont quality!
any information im missing just ask, thanks again!
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by il0vereigen
hi all i just finished my ucat. i got 2760 b2, (630 640 720 770) a little bummed but it is higher than the average. im predicted AAA (chem, maths and geography). what are the best medical schools to think of applying to? right know i think liverpool and ARU are safe but any others?

also other information
gcse:
eng lang/lit 88
chem 9
physics 9
bio 7
maths 7
re 8
geo 8
btec catering D*
(might be missing something but here)

-i've done virtual and one week of physical work experience
-i'm planning on doing an mooc after a few days of rest after my ucat
-i volunteer at my church every sunday to help the elderly at my church. honestly just chatting with them and making them food. i've been doing this since christmas 2021. i also help around with the gardening a little!

i don't think i'm eligible for any wider participation. my school and home address dont quality!
any information im missing just ask, thanks again!

well done as should be fair number of options
have you checked which medical schools are safe without Biology A level?
( know Newcastle is higher UCAT but unsure if Manchester/ UEA grade GCSEs - avoid options that score GCSEs- or require Biology A level or equivalent) someone will know and worth checking university websites for this year
suspect @GANFYD will be able to name several options without even having to check- encyclopaedic memory!
just wondering if your hours doing community church work etc might add up to be sufficient work experience for Keele if that is an option and if you’ve kept a record?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by MedMama
well done as should be fair number of options
have you checked which medical schools are safe without Biology A level?
( know Newcastle is higher UCAT but unsure if Manchester/ UEA grade GCSEs or require Biology A level or equivalent) someone will know and worth checking university websites for this year
suspect @GANFYD will be able to name several options without even having to check ( encyclopaedic memory!)
just wondering if your hours doing community church work might add up to be sufficient for Keele if you’ve kept a record

i had a list of medical schools which didn't require biology! i checked right after my ucat since i rlly liked manchester but i don't believe they require biology it's just i saw a cutoff for the ucat which was just below mine so i don't really know whether to take the risk?
i haven't really kept a hours list of much time i've spent helping out at my church id probably have to start back logging with photos i've taken and stuff but it may not be accurate 😢, also i believe keele had a grade requirement of A*AA unless i'm wrong?
Original post by il0vereigen
i had a list of medical schools which didn't require biology! i checked right after my ucat since i rlly liked manchester but i don't believe they require biology it's just i saw a cutoff for the ucat which was just below mine so i don't really know whether to take the risk?
i haven't really kept a hours list of much time i've spent helping out at my church id probably have to start back logging with photos i've taken and stuff but it may not be accurate 😢, also i believe keele had a grade requirement of A*AA unless i'm wrong?

yes have a look at uea, cutoff last year was 2710, but bear in mind that they score ucat 50% post interview and include sjt in interview score, so you may be at a disadvantage in that regard. also look at sunderland, similar selection process to keele in terms of needing lots of volunteering experience but only need AAA.
Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me where to apply based on my stats + do you think I have a chance of getting an interview?

My stats are:

> GCSE's: 99999998887
> A Level Predicted: A* A A
> Low UCAT score of: 2620 B3 :frown:
> Lots of work experience: shadowing doctors, work experience in clinics + hospitals, virtual work experience
> I also volunteer as a Sunday school teacher, have quite a bit of extracurriculars- like badminton, athletics etc.
> May have some contextual flags, but not sure: was looked after my grandparents for 1.5 years, first to go into uni

Just feel demoralised, as I heard this score wont even get me into uni.

Many thanks :smile:
Original post by RRandom_user
Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me where to apply based on my stats + do you think I have a chance of getting an interview?

My stats are:

> GCSE's: 99999998887
> A Level Predicted: A* A A
> Low UCAT score of: 2620 B3 :frown:
> Lots of work experience: shadowing doctors, work experience in clinics + hospitals, virtual work experience
> I also volunteer as a Sunday school teacher, have quite a bit of extracurriculars- like badminton, athletics etc.
> May have some contextual flags, but not sure: was looked after my grandparents for 1.5 years, first to go into uni

Just feel demoralised, as I heard this score wont even get me into uni.

Many thanks :smile:

no need to feel demoralised as you have options
as I’m not able to advise specifically on contextual flags, will leave advice to the experts but want you to be proud and know you’ll be ok

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending