The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 5 of 5]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by il0vereigen
i had a list of medical schools which didn't require biology! i checked right after my ucat since i rlly liked manchester but i don't believe they require biology it's just i saw a cutoff for the ucat which was just below mine so i don't really know whether to take the risk?
i haven't really kept a hours list of much time i've spent helping out at my church id probably have to start back logging with photos i've taken and stuff but it may not be accurate 😢, also i believe keele had a grade requirement of A*AA unless i'm wrong?

if there aren’t any other reasons to avoid Manchester ( such as say…needing a higher gcse Maths grade or some other scenario that I don’t know about) then I’d take that risk as it’s normal to have one aspirational choice - eg., where you’re a bit close to last year’s cut off -if you really like that one,
provided you’re strategic and as realistic as possible with the other 3
ps edit to say just checked Keele does appear to require either
A*AA or AAA with EPQ grade A
ie if non contextual.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by RRandom_user
Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me where to apply based on my stats + do you think I have a chance of getting an interview?

My stats are:

> GCSE's: 99999998887
> A Level Predicted: A* A A
> Low UCAT score of: 2620 B3 :frown:
> Lots of work experience: shadowing doctors, work experience in clinics + hospitals, virtual work experience
> I also volunteer as a Sunday school teacher, have quite a bit of extracurriculars- like badminton, athletics etc.
> May have some contextual flags, but not sure: was looked after my grandparents for 1.5 years, first to go into uni

Just feel demoralised, as I heard this score wont even get me into uni.

Many thanks :smile:

Sunderland?
Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me where to apply based on my stats + do you think I have a chance of getting an interview?

My stats are:

> Lots of work experience: shadowing doctors, work experience in clinics + hospitals, virtual work experience
> I also volunteer as a Sunday school teacher, have quite a bit of extracurriculars- like badminton, athletics etc.
> May have some contextual flags, but not sure: was looked after my grandparents for 1.5 years, first to go into uni

check your polar quintile using https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/data-and-analysis/young-participation-by-area/search-by-postcode/ and if it's POLAR4 quintile 1 or 2 you will be contextual for a lot of places. check out aston, which would be a solid choice if contextual by their standards (ucat bursary or polar quintile 1/2) but may be risky if not. you probably score 31.5 for aston, depending on what subject your grade 7 is in. for hull york, you score 66 without any other contextual flags but if you do have other flags this will bring your score up. i think last year's cutoff was 77/78. if the school where you did your gcses is lower performing i would chekc out kent medway. also look at keele and sunderland, as long as you can reflect well on your volunteering/experience for the r+r form.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Artella
Could you please advise where can my son apply to with this stats,

- Nat 5 - 7As
- SQA Highers - 5As
- UCAT score 2610 B4
- Work Experience shadowing and volunteering in the hospital
- No contextual

Which unis would my son be able to apply for, Scottish or English unis with the B4 for sjt? Thank you

Hello. If you can provide the UCAT breakdown that will help others.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 84
Original post by il0vereigen
hi all i just finished my ucat. i got 2760 b2, (630 640 720 770) a little bummed but it is higher than the average. im predicted AAA (chem, maths and geography). what are the best medical schools to think of applying to? right know i think liverpool and ARU are safe but any others?

also other information
gcse:
eng lang/lit 88
chem 9
physics 9
bio 7
maths 7
re 8
geo 8
btec catering D*
(might be missing something but here)

-i've done virtual and one week of physical work experience
-i'm planning on doing an mooc after a few days of rest after my ucat
-i volunteer at my church every sunday to help the elderly at my church. honestly just chatting with them and making them food. i've been doing this since christmas 2021. i also help around with the gardening a little!

i don't think i'm eligible for any wider participation. my school and home address dont quality!
any information im missing just ask, thanks again!

Have a look at ARU, UEA, Manchester, Liverpool and Sunderland
Reply 85
Hi,

My stats are:

Have a look at QUB, Keele, Sunderland, Aston, possibly Cardiff.
I reckon you may creep in to Leicester's cut off this year, with their new requirements, provided your 7 is not in a key subject.
You need to check if you have any WP flags or did you attend an underperforming school? Check if you meet the criteria for St Andrews, look if you get contextual points for Birmingham and consider KMMS
Hi! I’m an international applicant and this is my second time applying to medicine in the UK. I was hoping you could help me with my school choices. I was thinking of having 2 aspirational and 2 safer schools?

My stats:
IB: 43 points, 777 for HL
UCAT: 3030 (580 750 880 820), Band 1 (684)
BMAT: idk if i should take

- shadowed 2 GPs
- multiple volunteering experiences over the course of a few years

Schools I am considering:
- Edinburgh
- UCL (if i take bmat) / Bristol
- Birmingham
- Sheffield
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 87
Original post by andrewwwwwww11
Hi! I’m an international applicant and this is my second time applying to medicine in the UK. I was hoping you could help me with my school choices. I was thinking of having 2 aspirational and 2 safer schools?

My stats:

- shadowed 2 GPs

- Edinburgh
- Birmingham
- Sheffield

Great UCAT score ! What is thr breakdown of UCAT - as some med schools score VR and QR for example (incl Birmingham and Sheffield)
(edited 8 months ago)

My stats:

- shadowed 2 GPs

- Edinburgh
- Birmingham
- Sheffield

Personally, if I was in your position I wouldn't bother with the BMAT unless there's a particular university you're interested in e.g. Oxbridge or UCL. Your choices otherwise look solid, particularly Sheffield as they give out interview questions beforehand so you can prepare. For Sheffield, they have a 'virtual station' which considers the SJT band post-interview so you should have a slight advantage there as well. Having a UCAT of 3000+ is a big bonus so perhaps look into universities which take them into account post-interview too e.g. UEA do. Also consider the type of interview you like, panel or MMI and perhaps have a look into that as each have their pros and cons. Congrats on such a good UCAT score!
Original post by medic0975
Personally, if I was in your position I wouldn't bother with the BMAT unless there's a particular university you're interested in e.g. Oxbridge or UCL. Your choices otherwise look solid, particularly Sheffield as they give out interview questions beforehand so you can prepare. For Sheffield, they have a 'virtual station' which considers the SJT band post-interview so you should have a slight advantage there as well. Having a UCAT of 3000+ is a big bonus so perhaps look into universities which take them into account post-interview too e.g. UEA do. Also consider the type of interview you like, panel or MMI and perhaps have a look into that as each have their pros and cons. Congrats on such a good UCAT score!

Thanks! Yes I heard sheffield gives out interview questions beforehand! But wouldn’t that mean that everyone will be really prepared so they would have higher standards?
Thanks! Yes I heard sheffield gives out interview questions beforehand! But wouldn’t that mean that everyone will be really prepared so they would have higher standards?

Yes well it works both ways. Do you do better preparing beforehand for interview questions or turning up not knowing the questions that could be asked? I know someone who did the Sheffield interview and they said they felt a lot more confident turning up with the knowledge there wouldn't be any surprises in store. So depends on you as a person as to which you prefer.
Reply 91

Yes. It does not make it easier. Have to work hard to sound natural and not rehearsed.
Original post by medic0975
Yes well it works both ways. Do you do better preparing beforehand for interview questions or turning up not knowing the questions that could be asked? I know someone who did the Sheffield interview and they said they felt a lot more confident turning up with the knowledge there wouldn't be any surprises in store. So depends on you as a person as to which you prefer.

Ok thanks I will consider that. But preparing beforehand does sound quite good. Also do you think edinburgh would be risky? I am concerned I might not get an interview.

Btw, I am hoping to apply to schools with the greatest post-interview success rates. Are any schools on my list bad in terms of post-interview success rates?
Ok thanks I will consider that. But preparing beforehand does sound quite good. Also do you think edinburgh would be risky? I am concerned I might not get an interview.

Btw, I am hoping to apply to schools with the greatest post-interview success rates. Are any schools on my list bad in terms of post-interview success rates?

Regarding Edinburgh - I'm not sure, @GANFYD and others may be more help. I wouldn't have thought it was too risky however they do prefer Scottish applicants over RUK ones (not sure if this effects internationals)?

Nothing about the four universities you've thought about have particularly bad post-interview to offer ratios (although UCL and Birmingham seem quite high on the website in terms of applicants per interview) - the key one I know to avoid is Liverpool. https://medschoolgenie.co.uk/resource/overview-competition-ratios-interviews-and-places-uk-medical-schools has the 2019-2020 statistics for internationals, couldn't find anything on internationals more recent though. has the 2019-2020 statistics for internationals, couldn't find anything on internationals more recent though.
Reply 94
Hey guys I am going to be resitting my A-levels and reapply for Medicine. Do you know which medical schools accept resits with extenuating circumstances?
Reply 95
Original post by Forp12
Hey guys I am going to be resitting my A-levels and reapply for Medicine. Do you know which medical schools accept resits with extenuating circumstances?

All med schools accept resits with ExCircs, provided your ExCircs meet their criteria. You have to apply to have them accepted in advance at most med schools.
This shows those that will accept resits without ExCircs
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6649138
Original post by RKGardner
Which med schools would you suggest applying to with the following GCSEs Chemistry 9, Physics 9, Biology 8, Maths 8, PE 8, English Lang 7, German 7, English Lit 6, RS 6. Predicated A levels - 3 As in Chem, Biol, Phys
I'm not eligible for any Widening Participation

You would be able to get into Lancaster University's med school if you take all three of your A levels at one sitting and get 3 As or higher.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 8 months ago)

My stats:

- shadowed 2 GPs

- Edinburgh
- Birmingham
- Sheffield

You would be able to get into Lancaster University's medicine course with your IB.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
@GANFYD

Stats:
GCSEs: biology 9, chemistry, 9, history 9, physics 8, maths 8, english lang 6, english lit 8, ict: level 2 distiction, health and social care: level 2 distiction, sports studies: level 2 distinction*

UCAT: 2310 (570, 580, 650, 510). Band 1

A-Level predicted: A*AA (chem, bio, maths, respectively)

I think I’m contextual due to going to a state school with a low attainment and a certain percentage being on free school meals? I’ve only checked for UoB though so I don’t know if certain unis have their own criteria

(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by oliviapope1
@GANFYD

Stats:
GCSEs: biology 9, chemistry, 9, history 9, physics 8, maths 8, english lang 6, english lit 8, ict: level 2 distiction, health and social care: level 2 distiction, sports studies: level 2 distinction*

UCAT: 2310 (570, 580, 650, 510). Band 1

A-Level predicted: A*AA (chem, bio, maths, respectively)

I think I’m contextual due to going to a state school with a low attainment and a certain percentage being on free school meals? I’ve only checked for UoB though so I don’t know if certain unis have their own criteria

unis have their own criteria so its work checking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending