The Student Room Group

Bimingham Uni or Portsmouth for Mechanical Engineering

I live near Portsmouth and really like it as a place, I even have a season ticket for the football, but I really liked the Birmingham campus, and it will be somewhere different and interesting to study. I was so sure about going to Birmingham but after going to the open evening at Portsmouth I'm confused because I liked Portsmouth uni.
Another thing is that Birmingham is AAA for the MEng, whereas Portsmouth is 128 UCAS points for the BEng which is less stress since I'm doing AS Further Maths which is extra UCAS points.
I would be in halls for my first year at either Uni, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Both are accredited engineering courses, Birmingham is a Russell group but is this important?
(edited 1 year ago)
Birmingham hands down. A great campus and a top uni.
Original post by mike23mike
Birmingham hands down. A great campus and a top uni.

okay thank you! i was swaying that way
Original post by ElliotFranckeiss
I live near Portsmouth and really like it as a place, I even have a season ticket for the football, but I really liked the Birmingham campus, and it will be somewhere different and interesting to study. I was so sure about going to Birmingham but after going to the open evening at Portsmouth I'm confused because I liked Portsmouth uni.
Another thing is that Birmingham is AAA for the MEng, whereas Portsmouth is 128 UCAS points for the BEng which is less stress since I'm doing AS Further Maths which is extra UCAS points.
I would be in halls for my first year at either Uni, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Both are accredited engineering courses, Birmingham is a Russel group but is this important?

Would Portsmouth count your AS? On their webpage they state "UCAS points 112-128 points from 3 A levels, or equivalent, to include Mathematics".
Original post by ageshallnot
Would Portsmouth count your AS? On their webpage they state "UCAS points 112-128 points from 3 A levels, or equivalent, to include Mathematics".

i wasn’t 100% sure, i was meaning to contact them for clarification
i wasn’t 100% sure, i was meaning to contact them for clarification

Seems like a very good idea.
Original post by ageshallnot
Seems like a very good idea.

Turns out they don't include the AS sadly, but thank you!
Turns out they don't include the AS sadly, but thank you!

Hopefully that will inform your decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending