The Student Room Group
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London

Birkbeck University

If i’m 18 should i choose to go to birkbeck or will i find it hard to fit in as i’ve heard the majority of its students are over 26?
Hey,

The Uni Guide is a really good resource for comparing things like this at various universities. As you'll see here, across Birkbeck as a whole the majority of students are over 21. That may well not be the case on every individual course, however, and there will be variation across disciplines. Many of Birkbeck's students are postgraduates, which would also bring up that average age.

You might find that being part of a mixed-age cohort is something you enjoy, only you can say for sure.

The best thing you can do is to attend open days at Birkbeck and speak to people from the department you're interested in. That will also give you a feel for the overall culture at Birkbeck.

Good luck! :smile:
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London
Original post by rosieella04
If i’m 18 should i choose to go to birkbeck or will i find it hard to fit in as i’ve heard the majority of its students are over 26?

I went to this university. I can tell you right now that there are not many people below 25. Some classmates of your age told me they regretted choosing Birkbeck due to this. There's also not much social life or societies. However, being with mature students, you will not be left aside. One of the great things of being with adults is that there's no high school drama (or not too much at least).

Nevertheless, I don't recommend this university. There have been severe budget cuts in their administration and teaching. The continued strikes make it painful to follow the course, and teachers don't make up for the classes, they just leave you to your own devices. Pastoral support is almost non-existent. One thing to praise though is their disability services.

Albeit my sympathy for teachers' strikes, I recommend you attend a private / not for profit university (Regents U, Buckingham U, BPP, University of Law, Arden...) It is really difficult to stay afloat when your classes are continuously cancelled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending