The Student Room Group

Need help choosing A-Levels

PS - For GCSEs, I got 7 in Maths (Higher), 5-5 in Combined Science (Foundation), and grades 4-6 for the rest (Drama, Music, English Lit & Lang, Stats, and History). Unsure about Uni, but interested in working with computers and potentially owning or working in a business. Also, I've already chosen 2 definite A-Levels that I'm going to do (Maths & Business) and am planning on choosing another 2, one of which I will not be doing in my 2nd year if I don't like it.

I've made a list of the remaining A-Levels that interest me:
Physics
Psychology
Computer Science

(sorry if this is long, but please read anyway)

Physics -
Don't remember whether I enjoyed it at GCSE plus I did foundation so it was x10 easier, but I do know that I didn't mind it and it was interesting at times, especially when it came to math calculations. It is also a facilitating subject, perfect for me as I don't know what career I wanna do yet.

Computer Science -
Didn't do it at GCSE, so I have little to no background knowledge. I have some experience in coding, but that was back in 2020 - 2022 when I used to make Roblox games for a living. 😭 Jokes aside, I did really enjoy scripting, animating, and the satisfaction of when you finally got it to work! What's holding me back from computer science is that it's not a facilitating subject, you can still do it at Uni with A-level physics, and I don't know whether I'm going to like it or not as I've never actually sat in a CS class before.

Psychology -
Same as computer science, except I have 0 experience in it. However, learning about how our minds work, why we act a certain way, etc, interests me and pairs well with Business A-Level (given I'd open or work in a business). But I've heard that it includes making essays, which I hate.

So, hopefully, this will help you help me. If you have any questions, please ask away and I'll reply ASAP. Thanks for any help in advance! 😁
Original post by scnvdy
PS - For GCSEs, I got 7 in Maths (Higher), 5-5 in Combined Science (Foundation), and grades 4-6 for the rest (Drama, Music, English Lit & Lang, Stats, and History). Unsure about Uni, but interested in working with computers and potentially owning or working in a business. Also, I've already chosen 2 definite A-Levels that I'm going to do (Maths & Business) and am planning on choosing another 2, one of which I will not be doing in my 2nd year if I don't like it.

I've made a list of the remaining A-Levels that interest me:
Physics
Psychology
Computer Science

(sorry if this is long, but please read anyway)

Physics -
Don't remember whether I enjoyed it at GCSE plus I did foundation so it was x10 easier, but I do know that I didn't mind it and it was interesting at times, especially when it came to math calculations. It is also a facilitating subject, perfect for me as I don't know what career I wanna do yet.

Computer Science -
Didn't do it at GCSE, so I have little to no background knowledge. I have some experience in coding, but that was back in 2020 - 2022 when I used to make Roblox games for a living. 😭 Jokes aside, I did really enjoy scripting, animating, and the satisfaction of when you finally got it to work! What's holding me back from computer science is that it's not a facilitating subject, you can still do it at Uni with A-level physics, and I don't know whether I'm going to like it or not as I've never actually sat in a CS class before.

Psychology -
Same as computer science, except I have 0 experience in it. However, learning about how our minds work, why we act a certain way, etc, interests me and pairs well with Business A-Level (given I'd open or work in a business). But I've heard that it includes making essays, which I hate.

So, hopefully, this will help you help me. If you have any questions, please ask away and I'll reply ASAP. Thanks for any help in advance! 😁

For physics, I'm not sure how many sixth forms or colleges would accept you because there will be grade requirements.
Facilitating subjects are not really a thing any more so if you enjoy CS, I wouldn't worry about that.
For psychology most people who do it don't do psychology at GCSE, so again I wouldn't worry about having limited knowledge on it at the moment. There are essays, but writing essays are a useful skill.
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
For physics, I'm not sure how many sixth forms or colleges would accept you because there will be grade requirements.
Facilitating subjects are not really a thing any more so if you enjoy CS, I wouldn't worry about that.
For psychology most people who do it don't do psychology at GCSE, so again I wouldn't worry about having limited knowledge on it at the moment. There are essays, but writing essays are a useful skill.

Thank you for your help.

When you say facilitating subjects aren't really a thing anymore, what do you mean by that? Also, I've found a college near me that accepts grades 5-5 in Combined Science GCSE for A-Level Physics, so that isn't really a problem! However, I do think I'm going to go with Combined Science as I think I'd like it a lot more than Physics, but in case I don't, do you know if it's possible to swap it with A-Level Physics, and do you think I would have a lot to catch up with if I did?

Oh, and for psychology, I think you're right. I don't like essays, but it's a useful skill to have and having an essay-based A-Level paired with Maths, Business and CS should look better than having just Maths, Business, CS and Physics for example.
Original post by scnvdy
Thank you for your help.

When you say facilitating subjects aren't really a thing anymore, what do you mean by that? Also, I've found a college near me that accepts grades 5-5 in Combined Science GCSE for A-Level Physics, so that isn't really a problem! However, I do think I'm going to go with Combined Science as I think I'd like it a lot more than Physics, but in case I don't, do you know if it's possible to swap it with A-Level Physics, and do you think I would have a lot to catch up with if I did?

Oh, and for psychology, I think you're right. I don't like essays, but it's a useful skill to have and having an essay-based A-Level paired with Maths, Business and CS should look better than having just Maths, Business, CS and Physics for example.

You can do A-level physics with combined science, but I would recommend applying to more than one college just in case you change your mind or something unexpected happens.

Quick Reply

Latest