The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Question for people taking Discrete Maths at Warwick

Did you do the STEP? I'm assuming most of you did cause you probably applied for more maths related courses, but I am wondering if it actually is beneficial to my application considering Discrete Maths is under **OFFICIALLY** the Comp Sci department (I'm aware its a course offered by both).
DM is usually full of Warwick Maths rejects, but that's okay, cuz you still get to do the same modules as Warwick Maths. You are just expected to do some CS modules, which aren't too bad, because the CS department is pretty world renowned too. Most DM students did do the STEP (but usually failed to get a grading), it's not needed for entry AFAIK. The maths you will learn at Warwick (whether that be within the Maths Department or the CS department), will be mostly based off of STEP questions, so the STEP is really good practice, even if you don't end up sitting it in the end/don't end up getting a grade.

On a side note, you should probably consider applying for Data Science at Warwick, it is a newer course, and is far more mathematically rigorous than DM.
(edited 6 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Computer Geek
DM is usually full of Warwick Maths rejects, but that's okay, cuz you still get to do the same modules as Warwick Maths. You are just expected to do some CS modules, which aren't too bad, because the CS department is pretty world renowned too. Most DM students did do the STEP (but usually failed to get a grading), it's not needed for entry AFAIK. The maths you will learn at Warwick (whether that be within the Maths Department or the CS department), will be mostly based off of STEP questions, so the STEP is really good practice, even if you don't end up sitting it in the end/don't end up getting a grade.

On a side note, you should probably consider applying for Data Science at Warwick, it is a newer course, and is far more mathematically rigorous than DM.

The thing is I am genuinely interested in the Computer Science aspect of it. However, I prefer Maths over Computer Science (and will definitely not be doing Computer Science on its own at Uni). Data Science looks interesting too from the module information. It's a few core Maths modules + Statistics and Computer Science and I am a fan of all 3.

I heard that Mathematics and Statistics was a good course for Maths rejects too.

I was mostly wondering if the STEP will be of any help in my application, like if they even consider it.

Thanks for your reply.
Original post by kingbart
The thing is I am genuinely interested in the Computer Science aspect of it. However, I prefer Maths over Computer Science (and will definitely not be doing Computer Science on its own at Uni). Data Science looks interesting too from the module information. It's a few core Maths modules + Statistics and Computer Science and I am a fan of all 3.

I heard that Mathematics and Statistics was a good course for Maths rejects too.

I was mostly wondering if the STEP will be of any help in my application, like if they even consider it.

Thanks for your reply.

Warwick will make offers that include STEP for just Maths/Maths&Stats/MORSE/Data Science.

Warwick won't make offers that include STEP for Discrete Maths, Computer Science, CSE etc.

Doesn't mean it won't help in either case, STEP is really useful for University Level Mathematics.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Computer Geek
Warwick will make offers that include STEP for just Maths/Maths&Stats/MORSE/Data Science.

Warwick won't make offers that include STEP for Discrete Maths, Computer Science, CSE etc.

Doesn't mean it won't help in either case, STEP is really useful for University Level Mathematics.

Hope this helps.

So they won't lower entry requirements officially but it could help my application right as a "super-curricular"?

I'll look more into Data Science, can't believe I overlooked it, course looks great.
Original post by kingbart
So they won't lower entry requirements officially but it could help my application right as a "super-curricular"?

I'll look more into Data Science, can't believe I overlooked it, course looks great.

It's normally seen as an super-curricular, there is only a small number of circumstances where it ever lowers entry requirements, namely in Maths. While it won't help you get into DM, it will help you do well if you manage to get onto the course.

Data Science is an excellent course, it's just a shame it's so new. Warwick isn't world renowned for this area of Mathematics/Statistics, but it might be in a decade or two.
Reply 6
If any of you are seeing. You don't need STEP for discrete mathematics.

Quick Reply

Latest