The Student Room Group

Law or Computer Science

Currently, I am a Y11 student that will go to do the A-Levels at college, =but I still can't decide which career path would be better to do- Computer Science( Software Engineering) or Law( Corporate), as I really enjoy the 2 fields and can't really make my final judgement.
Please help.
Thanks
Those are two extremely different fields, but it is possible to go into technology-related law. It would be much easier to convert from computer science to law than law to computer science. You don't have to decide yet, but definitely take maths at a level if a computer science degree is something you're considering. Law degrees don't require any specific subjects.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot

Original post by Labradoodle1
Those are two extremely different fields, but it is possible to go into technology-related law. It would be much easier to convert from computer science to law than law to computer science. You don't have to decide yet, but definitely take maths at a level if a computer science degree is something you're considering. Law degrees don't require any specific subjects.
Original post by AlexV.7
Thanks a lot

No problem! What a levels are you interested in taking by the way?
Reply 4
Well, I am taking Maths, Computer Science and History currently, just not sure would Further Maths or Physics be better as a 4th A Level.
Original post by AlexV.7
Well, I am taking Maths, Computer Science and History currently, just not sure would Further Maths or Physics be better as a 4th A Level.

Generally further maths - it can help get into and cope with some courses - plus 4 different A levels is generally ill-advised.
Original post by AlexV.7

Physics will help you with neither Computer Science nor Law. Further Maths is pretty much necessary to do computer science at Imperial, Cambridge or Oxford, but you'd still have a lot of options open to you for cs at other unis without further maths. 4 a levels generally isn't recommended, but I'd say further maths as a 4th a level is more manageable than physics as a 4th a level.
Reply 7
Thanks a lot,
Then the choice is almost clear to me
Physics will help you with neither Computer Science nor Law. Further Maths is pretty much necessary to do computer science at Imperial, Cambridge or Oxford, but you'd still have a lot of options open to you for cs at other unis without further maths. 4 a levels generally isn't recommended, but I'd say further maths as a 4th a level is more manageable than physics as a 4th a level.
Reply 8
Thanks a lot

Original post by ajj2000
Generally further maths - it can help get into and cope with some courses - plus 4 different A levels is generally ill-advised.
Original post by AlexV.7
Thanks a lot,
Then the choice is almost clear to me

What degree have you decided on?
Reply 10
I have decided to do Engineering for now, probably computer engineering, but if I will see it is not for me will probably switch to Law

What degree have you decided on?
Original post by AlexV.7
I have decided to do Engineering for now, probably computer engineering, but if I will see it is not for me will probably switch to Law

Gotcha, if you need help with anything let me know :smile:
Reply 12
Thanks a lot)

Gotcha, if you need help with anything let me know :smile:
Original post by AlexV.7
Currently, I am a Y11 student that will go to do the A-Levels at college, =but I still can't decide which career path would be better to do- Computer Science( Software Engineering) or Law( Corporate), as I really enjoy the 2 fields and can't really make my final judgement.
Please help.
Thanks

That is really interesting. I studied computer science, had a good career in it and then found myself really interested in law and did a lot of volunteering for legal non profits. I thought this was odd because they are so different - until I met a senior lawyer who is well known and published in his field of public/international law , and he told me had studied computer science and then after a few years of programming he found himself interested in human rights law and became a lawyer. So I asked him - how do you explain that ? And he said, well actually, they are surprisingly similar, especially in international law, because making an argument is really interpreting statutes where it is important to pay close attention to wording, and then building up the logical argument from a series of these facts and statutes and precedents, so the skills are not that different from writing good code and building code modules on top of each other :-) I thought that was super interesting.
Original post by AlexV.7
Please help.
Thanks

Hi @AlexV.7,
I understand how tough this decision is I found myself in a similar situation what I suggest doing is trying to do a few sixth form open days this will allow you to have a feel for the course and see if you like the content and the work you try. From this you can then create a pros and cons list of each course and from that decide what's best. Hope this helps!
Gurpej (Student Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending