The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Suggestions:
- 'Honour awards' for members being a long time on TSR and made an important contribution
- Return of most controversial user x2
- A general award that excludes people on Support team (e.g. best TSR Member)
We had something similar to this in member of the month, though FHs were eligible
- Best Community Staff member
- Bring back Sports Commentator, Top Techie and Motoring Master
- Add Bookworm, Film Critic, Pro Gamer and Music Maestro
The above is a lot of awards for Entertainment, while all sections currently have one. Balance needs to be struck with how many awards each section has, and the total number of categories being manageable.
- Special awards that aren’t voted on, based on stats that aren’t available to users. For example, user who gave/received the most rep or had the biggest post count (assuming they are happy to receive the award).
- A Lifetime Achievement award
- Maybe a special area of pavement in Brighton could be turned into a TSR Walk of Fame with A stars or footprints.

- Limiting funniest/most helpful thread to 2022 made threads only didn't work very well x4
Please ignore :smile:

lil test

Original post by Evil Homer

lil test

Ignored.
Original post by Evil Homer

lil test

:ninja:
Page 2 feedback

- Suggestion to have multiple awards for best debater. Best debater could be interpreted in different ways. Some users want a specific definition.
- The challenge here is that all other sections currently only have 1 award. All award categories are open to interpretation in some way, users just have to decide for themselves what they think it means.
- Bring back international member of the year
- More than one vote when there are 5 or more nominations
- Voting system of 1,2,3 with three points to first, two points to second and one point to third. It's often marginal who is 'best' and I think this would capture a wider range of views.
doing this via TSR polls could get quite complicated
- A lifetime award is a good idea, but not really for the community awards. Maybe it might be a separate award for another time.
- Confusion about why best blog was not restricted to 2022 but other thread awards were. x2
- Some users did see reasons for the above.
- Bring back 'Most Controversial User'
- Remove year restriction on thread awards
- Separating into two types of awards, one with restrictions and one without.
Perhaps removing year restrictions on funniest and most helpful threads, but add a "Best thread of 2022" which is restricted to that year may be worthwhile?
Original post by 04MR17
Page 2 feedback

Perhaps removing year restrictions on funniest and most helpful threads, but add a "Best thread of 2022" which is restricted to that year may be worthwhile?

:yep:
Original post by the bear
Yes, a Lifetime Achievement award would be just what i want a lovely way to show our appreciation for people who need to get out more those who have dedicated their lives to TSR.
Maybe a special area of pavement in Brighton could be turned into a TSR Walk of Fame with stars or footprints and that.

:flute:

paw prints
Original post by Kallisto
It is already too late, but what about 'honour awards' for members being a long time on TSR and made an important contribution? an award for the life work to show the appreciation apart from the votings? Just an idea... maybe a good sugeestion in 2023.

I like this
Original post by the bear
Yes, a Lifetime Achievement award would be just what i want a lovely way to show our appreciation for people who need to get out more those who have dedicated their lives to TSR.
Maybe a special area of pavement in Brighton could be turned into a TSR Walk of Fame with stars or footprints and that.

:flute:

Now I really, really would love that ( not that I’ve ever been to Brighton). Would love to see your star, @the beaɾ

I am in love with my job, so have taken a bit of a step back from TSR, so much so that I forgot about the awards and even to vote. So don’t really care either way.
Reply 49
Original post by 04MR17
Page 2 feedback

- Suggestion to have multiple awards for best debater. Best debater could be interpreted in different ways. Some users want a specific definition.
- The challenge here is that all other sections currently only have 1 award. All award categories are open to interpretation in some way, users just have to decide for themselves what they think it means.
- Bring back international member of the year
- More than one vote when there are 5 or more nominations
- Voting system of 1,2,3 with three points to first, two points to second and one point to third. It's often marginal who is 'best' and I think this would capture a wider range of views.
doing this via TSR polls could get quite complicated
- A lifetime award is a good idea, but not really for the community awards. Maybe it might be a separate award for another time.
- Confusion about why best blog was not restricted to 2022 but other thread awards were. x2
- Some users did see reasons for the above.
- Bring back 'Most Controversial User'
- Remove year restriction on thread awards

It certainly doesn't matter if there is only one debater award. However, just to make a point - I don't think it necessarily matters that other sections only have one award. I don't think that my initial point applies to the other awards as much as to the debater award. At least, the other awards didn't strike me that way when I was voting. I found it tricky deciding how to interpret best debater in a way that wasn't a problem for me with other awards. Maybe others feel differently? Even if there were two debater awards (one including the most respectful debater...or least rude debater:biggrin:) this might be nice. Also, whilst creating lots more awards would make it potentially unwieldy, I don't see a problem with adding another award to another category or two, too, if required and if it makes it clearer for voters.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 50
Original post by harrysbar
paw prints

Careful though - cement stuck in paws is not good. :eek:
Original post by Cote1
However, just to make a point - I don't think it necessarily matters that other sections only have one award.

Also, whilst creating lots more awards would make it potentially unwieldy, I don't see a problem with adding another award to another category or two, too, if required and if it makes it clearer for voters.

Just to add a bit more background. Over the years these awards are predominantly run by volunteers, who usually will volunteer in one forum or section which they will put a lot of time into and be very proud of. If they see one section featuring more awards than another, the word unfair appears quite quickly. I'm not saying I agree with this, but parity in status between sections is something that the volunteers try to achieve to ensure everyone feels equally valued. There is a case for saying some sections deserve more awards (AngryJellyfish made it well for Entertainment), I'm just not sure whether it will be successful when it comes to arranging next year's awards. It felt appropriate to add the caveat about sections having the same amount of awards given the discussions that occurred in previous years about this specifically.
Reply 52
Original post by 04MR17
Just to add a bit more background. Over the years these awards are predominantly run by volunteers, who usually will volunteer in one forum or section which they will put a lot of time into and be very proud of. If they see one section featuring more awards than another, the word unfair appears quite quickly. I'm not saying I agree with this, but parity in status between sections is something that the volunteers try to achieve to ensure everyone feels equally valued. There is a case for saying some sections deserve more awards (AngryJellyfish made it well for Entertainment), I'm just not sure whether it will be successful when it comes to arranging next year's awards. It felt appropriate to add the caveat about sections having the same amount of awards given the discussions that occurred in previous years about this specifically.

Thanks.
Fair enough.
*somewhat amused that their post is being taken seriously* :teehee:
A few extra points following my suggestion to give special/recognition awards that are not voted on based on e.g. post count:

We had a user this year who helped more students than anyone else in 2022 and also reached the milestone of 20,000 posts in a single Study Help forum (one of 5 to have ever done that). They weren’t even in the top 4 in the Study Help award. This is probably because the majority of people who vote in the awards are not SH regulars.

And we have other users who have been regularly helping students for over 15 years and they have never had any recognition from the community awards or from the TSR staff, which I find pretty sad.
Reply 55
Original post by Notnek
A few extra points following my suggestion to give special/recognition awards that are not voted on based on e.g. post count:

We had a user this year who helped more students than anyone else in 2022 and also reached the milestone of 20,000 posts in a single Study Help forum (one of 5 to have ever done that). They weren’t even in the top 4 in the Study Help award. This is probably because the majority of people who vote in the awards are not SH regulars.

And we have other users who have been regularly helping students for over 15 years and they have never had any recognition from the community awards or from the TSR staff, which I find pretty sad.

Good points.
Well done whoever reached the 20,000 posts!

And well done to the others who have helped for over 15 years.
Original post by Notnek

Maybe best SH could have redirect links in the big SH forum (chem and maths mainly) or be encouraged to join the FH (study help) team?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Notnek

I really agree with this. The people that are tagged in are the same old TSR keen beans, almost a clique. For example, nobody in the Oxford 2023 thread knew about the help in universities section and so they probably did not vote, yet they are the people who are on the receiving end of this help. I think the community awards should be tagged into all the relevant threads, eg maths study help. Let’s hear from the students for a change.
Original post by Notnek

That wouldn't necessarly the reflect how helpful they were. Some posters will post even when someone else is helping which I personally think is bad form unless the help is wrong or poor.
Reply 59
Original post by Muttley79
That wouldn't necessarly the reflect how helpful they were. Some posters will post even when someone else is helping which I personally think is bad form unless the help is wrong or poor.

Even if someone isn't considered the most helpful, voluntarily posting 20,000 times to help students is an amazing thing to do and deserves some recognition even if it's not "the best quality helper" award. The TSR staff don't recognise things like this which I find sad.

As it turns out, the person who has reached this milestone is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
(edited 8 months ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending