The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notnek
Even if someone isn't considered the most helpful, voluntarily posting 20,000 times to help students is an amazing thing to do and deserves some recognition even if it's not "the best quality helper" award. The TSR staff don't recognise things like this which I find sad.

As it turns out, the person who has reached this milestone is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

PM me who this is and I can comment - there are some people who post so I don;t then post on that thread. Quantity doesn't imply quality
Reply 61
Original post by Muttley79
Quantity doesn't imply quality

I know, that's what I said. I'm not saying that someone who posts this much should win the best helper award. I'm saying that they should be recognised in a different way for the amount of time they have dedicated over the years to voluntarily helping students. Do you not think it's an amazing thing for someone to do?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Notnek
I know, that's what I said. I'm not saying that someone who posts this much should win the best helper award. I'm saying that they should be recognised in a different way for the amount of time they have dedicated over the years to voluntarily helping students. Do you not think it's an amazing thing for someone to do?

Not necessarily - just because they are quickest to reply means very little. PM me who it is - some frequent posters are better than others.
Reply 63
Original post by Muttley79
Not necessarily - just because they are quickest to reply means very little.

Well that many posts helping students means a lot to me and I am sure that the majority of posters would agree with me.

PM me who it is - some frequent posters are better than others.

Again I'm not talking about which helper is "better" than another.
Original post by Notnek
Do you not think it's an amazing thing for someone to do?

Objectively, the answer is yes, by the way. Not sure what is so contentious about the point you're making.

The nature of Study help as a section always appeared to be that the vast majority of the work that goes on there is done by a few 'core' members that rarely - if ever - stray from the section. They help those who ask for it, with absolutely no expectation of anything in return and make no fuss about it. This leads to them being basically unnoticed beyond the others in that core community being aware of them. When it then comes to competitions like this, it's impossible for it not to be a popularity contest.

That doesn't mean, however, that we should fail to recognise their contributions. There are countless people, both past and present, who come to mind that should have received meaningful recognition for their contributions here. Some of them have already left as a result, some really big names come to mind. I have always thought that this site would be nothing without the community that contributes to it. Everything else outside of that is surplus to requirement - the sponsorship deals, the student rep package, the software, the employer's liability insurance - it's all worthless without the people here using the site.

Sometimes, this reality seems to get lost. I've seen it happen countless times here. People leave or they're forced out because of a lack of oversight or recognition of value. As an SL, I had near immediate access to a list of the top contributors to my section from a Power BI report. If I had that data, others do too (not speaking about SLs here). There is little excuse to fail to recognise the contribution of some people here in a meaningful way. That said, it shouldn't fall on us or volunteers (no matter how eager or willing they are to help) to determine how best to do this.
Original post by Notnek

I agree that it's an amazing thing for someone to do.

I don't know who you are referring to exactly but that doesn't matter. I can think of at least a couple from my days as a regular poster on TSR who it could be. I noticed people that were so generous of giving up their time to help students but I never saw them get much official recognition. Mainly because they weren't part of any clique.
Original post by Notnek

2 months late but yeah I agree, people who give up their time to help others deserve more recognition from CS, not simply those who are part of the volunteer/support team (I feel as if it's mainly/only those who are on the team who get praise and recognition for this sort of thing). I guess there's always an option to join the Support team but still.

I know what user you're referring to I think.
Hello all,

Thanks for the feedback, in response we have made the following changes for 2023:
- Removed year restrictions on most helpful thread of the year
- Removed funniest thread of the year
- Added best thread of 2023, with a year restriction
- Changed name of best debater

We are also still in the process of looking at the following:
- 'Honour awards' for members being a long time on TSR and made an important contribution
- Special awards that aren’t voted on, based on stats that aren’t available to users
- A special area of pavement in Brighton could be turned into a TSR Walk of Fame with A stars or footprints - still waiting on a reply from the council :erm:

Nominations for 2023 are now up: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7436433

After the awards conclude we will collect feedback once again.

Cheers,

MR

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending