The Student Room Group

Studying in London or Edinburgh?

Hi, I am an international student planning to study for my master's school in the UK this year. I got offers from KCL and Edinburgh recently. I think the modules of Edinburgh seem more interesting to me but the training at KCL looks solid. Since I couldn’t decide which school to go to, I think maybe learning more about what it feels like living in London and Edinburgh might as well help me make the decision.
I know that living in London is more expensive but has more resources, while Edinburgh has beautiful scenery and a strong cultural presence. I think there are still more aspects I need to consider as a student but I have no clue. Could someone share the experiences of living or studying in these two cities? Thx!!!
Reply 1
Having lived in both, I'd say Edinburgh for sure. London really is a lot to handle, it's insanely expensive and it takes so much time to get from one place to another, which makes you feel more alienated
Reply 2
Original post by kwtkwsk
Having lived in both, I'd say Edinburgh for sure. London really is a lot to handle, it's insanely expensive and it takes so much time to get from one place to another, which makes you feel more alienated

I'm curious about why it spend much time to get from one place to another. I thought that London has reliable public transport (because it is a big city? idk)
Reply 3
Original post by fivecircle
I'm curious about why it spend much time to get from one place to another. I thought that London has reliable public transport (because it is a big city? idk)

Yes, but it's also enormous, with frequent rail strikes and route closures. It's just always a lot of effort to change twice to get somewhere and you end up spending a lot of time commuting. Because of that there is no sense of academic community and it's harder to make friends
Reply 4
Original post by kwtkwsk
Yes, but it's also enormous, with frequent rail strikes and route closures. It's just always a lot of effort to change twice to get somewhere and you end up spending a lot of time commuting. Because of that there is no sense of academic community and it's harder to make friends

Ahh...I see
Thanks for the clear explanation
Hi, I am an international student planning to study for my master's school in the UK this year. I got offers from KCL and Edinburgh recently. I think the modules of Edinburgh seem more interesting to me but the training at KCL looks solid. Since I couldn’t decide which school to go to, I think maybe learning more about what it feels like living in London and Edinburgh might as well help me make the decision.
I know that living in London is more expensive but has more resources, while Edinburgh has beautiful scenery and a strong cultural presence. I think there are still more aspects I need to consider as a student but I have no clue. Could someone share the experiences of living or studying in these two cities? Thx!!!

Hello! There are definitely a lot of great things about studying in Edinburgh, I really love it! The things which helped me decide where to study were: the courses available within the degree (degree's are hard, it's a lot easier if you enjoy what you're learning!), societies, other opportunities available within the uni, and like you say, the other features of the city. If you've got any questions about studying in Edinburgh, I'm happy to answer them :smile:

Best,
Jake
Year 2, BSc Mathematics with Physics
Reply 6
Original post by Heriot Watt Rep
Hello! There are definitely a lot of great things about studying in Edinburgh, I really love it! The things which helped me decide where to study were: the courses available within the degree (degree's are hard, it's a lot easier if you enjoy what you're learning!), societies, other opportunities available within the uni, and like you say, the other features of the city. If you've got any questions about studying in Edinburgh, I'm happy to answer them :smile:

Best,
Jake
Year 2, BSc Mathematics with Physics

Hi! I was just wondering what it’s like making friends and navigating yourself in a city uni as opposed to a campus uni.

Hello!

I study at City, University of London which is situated in greater London.

I chose to study in a university within London for a range of reasons:

We are in the city-centre and are surrounded by activities and historical sites that we can spend our free time going to. Although, yes, it is expensive, there is a lot that students can do on a budget.

Everything is a bus away! Whenever me and my friends want to go out, because our university is located in London, nearly everything is 1-2 buses away from us. This is helpful because going on the tube each time can get tiring.

The tube - you can get from one side of London to the other so so quickly! This is helpful when you have events that are a bit further out but can get there relatively quick. For example, the Victoria Line train comes every 100 seconds. Not all of them are this fast but its quite helpful.

London has a range of opportunities for students and graduates. As it is a financial hub, students can find internships and other opportunities throughout the City.

Diversity - London universities are incredibly diverse

International expose - London is one the busiest, most-watched cities in the world. A range of individuals from esteemed academics to celebs are consistently in London and will often visit Universities. For examples, City, University of London hosted an individual who worked for the UN to give advice to students on Career Paths.

I hope this helps,
Iris - third-year Politics Student at City, University of London
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending