The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh vs Glasgow

I know this has probably been done to death but I’m looking for some up to date advice on which uni to choose.
I’m wanting to study history and politics but can’t decide which uni to choose.
I’ve made a list of pros and cons for each, but for me they are both about level.
What made others choose which uni was best for them?
Also, what is the student support like at both unis?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hi I’ve applied for history and politics at both Edinburgh and Glasgow. In general I think Edinburgh is more expensive and has a low student satisfaction whereas Glasgow is slightly cheaper and has a fairly standard student satisfaction. I’m choosing what uni I’m going to mainly based on the environment and attitude of the uni. However a lot of people
Choose based on prestige whereas I don’t really care about that. If your choosing one due to prestige id probably say Edinburgh. But if your choosing because of student support I think I’d maybe choose glasgow. It’s ultimately up to you and open days/ offer holder days will give you the experience of what it’s like.
(edited 3 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I think Edinburgh has a better reputation than Glasgow, it's meant to be a nicer city look wise (Edinburgh). I study at the university of Edinburgh if you have any particular questions just about Edinburgh feel free to ask.
Original post by Anonymous1502
I think Edinburgh has a better reputation than Glasgow, it's meant to be a nicer city look wise (Edinburgh). I study at the university of Edinburgh if you have any particular questions just about Edinburgh feel free to ask.

Hi! Would you please give me a slight glimpse on the life in Edinburgh as a student? The expenses, the vibe, the outlets, the community and about islamophobia and xenophobia too if possible. And of course anything you feel relevant : )
Original post by awesome bro
Hi! Would you please give me a slight glimpse on the life in Edinburgh as a student? The expenses, the vibe, the outlets, the community and about islamophobia and xenophobia too if possible. And of course anything you feel relevant : )

Edinburgh is quite expensive, slightly less expensive than London but still expensive nonetheless. Since I have started at the uni there hasn't been much of a student life since it was covid in 2020 September. The lecturers from my department (Chinese) are quite good but it differs probably from department to department. If you want to study science then the King's building where that takes place is incredibly far, outside the city centre. Edinburgh seems to be a lot better for the humanities. The city is quite vibrant, the public transport doesn't seem to be good so I walk everywhere. Islamophobia, xenophobia doesn't seem to be an issue, since the uni is very diverse and so is the city. There's a lot of international students especially chinese students but they seem to only talk among themselves.

Edinburgh is quite far from London and most places, and it is very expensive to get here from London so the cost should be taken into consideration, if you are from London like me it is unlikely that you will come home often unless you have parents who can help financially.

You won't have too much money left over even if you have the maximum student maintenance loan, so take that into consideration also.
Reply 5
Hey, this is a long shot since this thread is quite old but I've got an offer to study Chinese and French at Edinburgh. I've never met anyone who's done the course, could you please give me your thoughts on your time at Edinburgh and specifically studying Chinese, especially if you did so from beginner level? Thank you so much !

Original post by Anonymous1502
Edinburgh is quite expensive, slightly less expensive than London but still expensive nonetheless. Since I have started at the uni there hasn't been much of a student life since it was covid in 2020 September. The lecturers from my department (Chinese) are quite good but it differs probably from department to department. If you want to study science then the King's building where that takes place is incredibly far, outside the city centre. Edinburgh seems to be a lot better for the humanities. The city is quite vibrant, the public transport doesn't seem to be good so I walk everywhere. Islamophobia, xenophobia doesn't seem to be an issue, since the uni is very diverse and so is the city. There's a lot of international students especially chinese students but they seem to only talk among themselves.

Edinburgh is quite far from London and most places, and it is very expensive to get here from London so the cost should be taken into consideration, if you are from London like me it is unlikely that you will come home often unless you have parents who can help financially.

You won't have too much money left over even if you have the maximum student maintenance loan, so take that into consideration also.
Original post by searobin
Hey, this is a long shot since this thread is quite old but I've got an offer to study Chinese and French at Edinburgh. I've never met anyone who's done the course, could you please give me your thoughts on your time at Edinburgh and specifically studying Chinese, especially if you did so from beginner level? Thank you so much !

The Chinese department is Edinburgh is amazing, we get lots of contact hours and we have good lecturers for the language side. It really is possible to start chinese with no prior knowledge,I myself now reached intermediate level.

There's also lots of Chinese students here who are happy to help and easy to make friends with. As well as it is an amazing city to live in, very convenient and picturesque. If you have any more questions please PM me.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending