The Student Room Group

Finding housemates?

Hey everyone,
It can be hard finding housemates to live with at uni, especially if you didn't get along with your first year housemates or maybe you've met some great people but you can't imagine living with them.

I know this from experience so I created a guide to finding your uni housemates here: http://bit.ly/3JtPcqL

Got your own advice on finding housemates? How did you meet your current housemates? Comment and let us know!
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hey everyone,
It can be hard finding housemates to live with at uni, especially if you didn't get along with your first year housemates or maybe you've met some great people but you can't imagine living with them.

I know this from experience so I created a guide to finding your uni housemates here: http://bit.ly/3JtPcqL

Got your own advice on finding housemates? How did you meet your current housemates? Comment and let us know!

Hi,
From what I have found, people commonly find housemates through their assigned one's in first year accommodation (since they are already aware of their habits and have made friends with them) or just people they have met on their course/ made friends with during their time at uni. Some also take to social media to find housemates, when looking for late minute accommodation especially. This is a struggle for a lot of people because of the issues you have raised but asking around and getting to know the people you may live with helps a lot especially because you will be sharing the same space. Some universities also offer campus accommodation for those who cannot find any, although this is specific the the institution. I generally think asking around and talking to people will be the most effective as there are likely others who are struggling to find housemates as well.
Hope this helps!
- Malek
University of Kent Reps
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hey everyone,

Hey! So, I found my second year house mates through my first year when living in halls, and I know this is probably the most common way as most people become comfortable with these people. In my final year I then lived with a few different people who were mutual friends of mine, and they are now some of my best-friends! At first it can be a bit scary moving in with people who you don't know very well, but this worked out really well for me, and I found once living with people you get close so quickly.

I have also managed to make friends through joining societies too which I do really recommend as these people will usually be people with similar interests to you. I joined the ski society and my course society which has been really good.

Also I found that when it comes to November/December (the time when people start thinking about housing for the following year) people in my classes would start chatting and from my experience there are always people asking around finding flat/house mates, so I would recommend speaking to people in your workshops/seminars.

This is just my experience but I hope it helps!
Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
im looking to house share in canterbury but cant find people as i am not the most sociable in class settings so i need help for september

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending