The Student Room Group

Housemate not paying bills

Hi everyone

I am currently living with three housemates. Two of them and myself have always paid the bills, but one of them, I'll call her Sam, has not paid her share since January. I have spoken to her multiple times both in a group chat and in person. She keeps saying she's experiencing financial difficulty. On top of this, I recently received a letter from a debt collection agency regarding an old houseshare as some of my old housemates did not pay their bills there, either. I am now being pursued for £700 of debt which is not mine. I am currently awaiting a response to all the evidence I've provided to the debt collection agency. My concern is that I will be pursued again for this houseshare. I'm massively frustrated. She uses my kitchen utensils, my toilet roll, anything she can get her hands on without asking. I have had to replace so many things because she just trashes my stuff. I genuinely wouldn't mind sharing my food and things if she asked and was respectful towards it. I can't afford to replace stuff, and I have said that to her many times. She doesn't have a job, but she has the money to smoke all day. She is also regularly having family and friends stay which has caused our bills to increase (bills were £40 more expensive this month which is quite the jump). She doesn't tell any of us when she decides to have people to stay, the lounge just gets taken over with a bunch of people. She doesn't clean up after herself and she doesn't clean up after them. She also turns on the heating whenever she feels like it without asking anyone else, even though it's way too hot to have the heating on. It's driving me crazy and I'm getting extremely stressed about all of it because I work constantly to be able to afford the rent and bills, and I come home to it being absolutely disgusting and my things being used and trashed without even being asked.I have spoken to the utilities company but they have basically told me I have to make her pay, and I don't think my landlord will get involved but I have emailed him. I don't know what to do! At this point, she owes around £200. I'm moving out at the beginning of August, and so are my other flatmates. The one who hasn't paid her bills won't tell us when she's moving out.
(edited 10 months ago)
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about the challenging situation you're facing with your housemate. It's understandable that you're feeling frustrated and stressed about the unpaid bills and the overall living conditions. Since you've already tried addressing the issue with her and it hasn't resulted in any resolution, here are a few suggestions:

Continue communicating with your landlord: Keep them updated about the situation, including the unpaid bills and the behavior of your housemate. They may be able to offer guidance or intervene if necessary.

Seek support from your other housemates: If they're also experiencing similar issues, it might be helpful to have a conversation together and present a unified front. Discuss the concerns with your housemate and explore potential solutions collectively.

Document everything: Keep a record of all the unpaid bills, damages, and instances of your belongings being used or damaged without permission. This documentation can be useful for discussions with your landlord and the debt collection agency, if needed.

Contact the debt collection agency: Since you're being pursued for a debt that is not yours, provide them with the necessary evidence to prove your innocence. Stay in touch with them to ensure they have all the information they need to resolve the matter correctly.

Consider involving a mediator: If the situation continues to escalate or remains unresolved, you may want to explore the option of involving a neutral third party, such as a mediator, to facilitate a constructive dialogue between you and your housemate.

Remember to prioritize your own well-being during this challenging time. Focus on finding a resolution that works best for you and allows you to have a more peaceful living environment.
Reply 2
Thank you so much! I will definitely document things from here on out. I have been reluctant to involve my landlord too much but I will based on your advice. Hopefully it gets resolved!
Original post by WhoStoleMyName?
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about the challenging situation you're facing with your housemate. It's understandable that you're feeling frustrated and stressed about the unpaid bills and the overall living conditions. Since you've already tried addressing the issue with her and it hasn't resulted in any resolution, here are a few suggestions:

Continue communicating with your landlord: Keep them updated about the situation, including the unpaid bills and the behavior of your housemate. They may be able to offer guidance or intervene if necessary.

Seek support from your other housemates: If they're also experiencing similar issues, it might be helpful to have a conversation together and present a unified front. Discuss the concerns with your housemate and explore potential solutions collectively.

Document everything: Keep a record of all the unpaid bills, damages, and instances of your belongings being used or damaged without permission. This documentation can be useful for discussions with your landlord and the debt collection agency, if needed.

Contact the debt collection agency: Since you're being pursued for a debt that is not yours, provide them with the necessary evidence to prove your innocence. Stay in touch with them to ensure they have all the information they need to resolve the matter correctly.

Consider involving a mediator: If the situation continues to escalate or remains unresolved, you may want to explore the option of involving a neutral third party, such as a mediator, to facilitate a constructive dialogue between you and your housemate.

Remember to prioritize your own well-being during this challenging time. Focus on finding a resolution that works best for you and allows you to have a more peaceful living environment.
Why wouldn't your landlord get involved?? Not paying rent is the most basic breach of contract and he should kick her out.
Reply 4
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Why wouldn't your landlord get involved?? Not paying rent is the most basic breach of contract and he should kick her out.

Because most landlords don't. When I had this issue in my previous houseshare, the landlady refused to get involved and refused to even discuss it. She told me it was my issue to resolve. The current landlord is extremely understanding when it comes to missed rent payments from what I've heard from various other tenants, so I lack confidence in whether he would actually help or not. Pretty sure he will just tell me it's our responsibility. That's why I didn't get him involved. Been trying to resolve it for months. Emailed him and he sent me a blank email back. Twice! He has made it clear he prefers not to be involved at all.
Original post by he11o_kitty
Because most landlords don't. When I had this issue in my previous houseshare, the landlady refused to get involved and refused to even discuss it. She told me it was my issue to resolve. The current landlord is extremely understanding when it comes to missed rent payments from what I've heard from various other tenants, so I lack confidence in whether he would actually help or not. Pretty sure he will just tell me it's our responsibility. That's why I didn't get him involved. Been trying to resolve it for months. Emailed him and he sent me a blank email back. Twice! He has made it clear he prefers not to be involved at all.

Well that's a very crappy landlord, how is someone else missing payments your responsibility?? That makes precisely 0 sense and you and your other housemates shouldn't be expected to cover the costs of that. OK, maybe missing a month or two would be understandable so long as payments were then made but you've said she hasn't been paying since January?? If someone in my house share had missed payments for this long they would definitely be on the streets by now.
Reply 6
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Well that's a very crappy landlord, how is someone else missing payments your responsibility?? That makes precisely 0 sense and you and your other housemates shouldn't be expected to cover the costs of that. OK, maybe missing a month or two would be understandable so long as payments were then made but you've said she hasn't been paying since January?? If someone in my house share had missed payments for this long they would definitely be on the streets by now.

They put the onus on the tenants to resolve utilities issues, the landlord themself takes care of any missed rent payments. They are student landlords, so kind of renowned for being crappy and shirking responsibility! The utilities are my main concern as I can prove I've been paying my rent but when I contacted the utilities company to ask what to do regarding the outstanding bill - they told me it was down to myself and my other housemates to resolve. My other housemates outright refuse to speak honestly and openly when there are issues, it's always left to me. Including when something disgusting's been left. I had to clean up a very very dirty toilet one day and ended up saying something in the groupchat and they all thought I was horrible for mentioning it. They don't like conflict or confrontation, but my confrontation regarding the cleanliness and the bills achieves nothing. She just tells me she can't do anything about it, or denies it
Original post by he11o_kitty
They put the onus on the tenants to resolve utilities issues, the landlord themself takes care of any missed rent payments. They are student landlords, so kind of renowned for being crappy and shirking responsibility! The utilities are my main concern as I can prove I've been paying my rent but when I contacted the utilities company to ask what to do regarding the outstanding bill - they told me it was down to myself and my other housemates to resolve. My other housemates outright refuse to speak honestly and openly when there are issues, it's always left to me. Including when something disgusting's been left. I had to clean up a very very dirty toilet one day and ended up saying something in the groupchat and they all thought I was horrible for mentioning it. They don't like conflict or confrontation, but my confrontation regarding the cleanliness and the bills achieves nothing. She just tells me she can't do anything about it, or denies it

Sounds terrible. No one likes conflict and you have already done your fair share. Next time there is a mess leave it for them to clean up and see how they like it.!
Reply 8
Original post by Kutie Karen
Sounds terrible. No one likes conflict and you have already done your fair share. Next time there is a mess leave it for them to clean up and see how they like it.!

Unfortunately some people are very tolerant of mess - especially their own. If they don't mind living with the mess they made, leaving it alone isn't really a punishment for them
Original post by Joinedup
Unfortunately some people are very tolerant of mess - especially their own. If they don't mind living with the mess they made, leaving it alone isn't really a punishment for them

yes agree. I think at some point it must start to bother them too right? If it gets cleaned up everytime but someone else then they will keep doing it and take things for granted. What other solution is there, I am interested?
Reply 10
Original post by Kutie Karen
yes agree. I think at some point it must start to bother them too right? If it gets cleaned up everytime but someone else then they will keep doing it and take things for granted. What other solution is there, I am interested?

seems like OP's in a bad situation.

wrt the money you could gather the data and have a house meeting - if you know her parents address you could contact them. this also goes for the previous houseshare where OP was shafted by housemates.

wrt the mess TBH you've dealt with it so far and it seems that everyone is off in August and it's now late June, so you can try do something about it but it sounds unlikely that any ***** will be given by the culprit at this stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending