The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy or sports therapy

Hello, I received an offer from one uni for sport therapy although I applied for physiotherapy, one of the universities I applied for physiotherapy is yet to reply but I was rejected from the other universities. I was wondering if it was a good option to study sports therapy and what the job prospects were like or if it is worth it to wait until July for clearing and try to apply for there and maybe if anyone knows the difficulty level of getting into physiotherapy through clearing and if there are usually spaces. Thankyou
It is harder to find a job with sports therapy compared to physiotherapy. I know a person who got a physiotherapy spot during clearing a few years ago, from a less popular university.
Bro 😭 I’m literally in the same situation as you , literally that’s has happened to me, no way I’m doing sports coz it’s totally different to physiotherapy in terms of healthcare setting and no placement . So waiting the response for my other unis and might wait till clearing if I get rejected. What uni did u pick ?
Sports therapist here. Decided to return to KCL to retrain as a physiotherapist as my clinic work came to a halt when covid happened.

Physiotherapy is regulated by a very well recognised/respected governing body (HCPC) and if anyone has a choice of Physiotherapy or sport’s science/therapy/rehabilitation I would highly recommend only going for Physiotherapy. Hands down the winner.

Sports therapy is great for anatomy knowledge and injuries/how to test but I have heard many other people like myself who retrained as a physio due to how challenging it was to find regular paid work as a sports therapist.
Original post by ACKI506
Sports therapist here. Decided to return to KCL to retrain as a physiotherapist as my clinic work came to a halt when covid happened.

Physiotherapy is regulated by a very well recognised/respected governing body (HCPC) and if anyone has a choice of Physiotherapy or sport’s science/therapy/rehabilitation I would highly recommend only going for Physiotherapy. Hands down the winner.

Sports therapy is great for anatomy knowledge and injuries/how to test but I have heard many other people like myself who retrained as a physio due to how challenging it was to find regular paid work as a sports therapist.

while not a Physio myself , that is the suggestion of the Physios i know through Dance - if you have the opportunity to do pre-reg physio take that opportunity
Original post by InArduisFouette
while not a Physio myself , that is the suggestion of the Physios i know through Dance - if you have the opportunity to do pre-reg physio take that opportunity

I didn’t fancy doing an MSc. A friend who is a sports therapist did the MSc at KCL and regrets it. She wish she had done the BSc as MSc was too much pressure. I chose BSc. Current 2nd year. BSc is good enough.
Original post by ACKI506
I didn’t fancy doing an MSc. A friend who is a sports therapist did the MSc at KCL and regrets it. She wish she had done the BSc as MSc was too much pressure. I chose BSc. Current 2nd year. BSc is good enough.

this is one of the risks with pre-reg Masters when the normal pre-reg route is bachelors it;s just building a rod for your own back with theory and often topics are condesed to pack 3 years int o2
Original post by InArduisFouette
this is one of the risks with pre-reg Masters when the normal pre-reg route is bachelors it;s just building a rod for your own back with theory and often topics are condesed to pack 3 years int o2

Yep, agreed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending