The Student Room Group

SFE Second Degree funding?

Hello! I am looking to start a second undergraduate degree in September next year and after a long time spent researching eligible courses I am still somewhat confused about funding.

If I go on to study either Bsc Occupational Therapy or Bsc Orthoptics for example, would I be eligible for both a tuition fee and maintenance loan? Or just one of the two?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Original post by bertrewt
Hello! I am looking to start a second undergraduate degree in September next year and after a long time spent researching eligible courses I am still somewhat confused about funding.

If I go on to study either Bsc Occupational Therapy or Bsc Orthoptics for example, would I be eligible for both a tuition fee and maintenance loan? Or just one of the two?

Hi there,

If you already hold a degree or have previous study, you will still be eligible to access the full package of funding i.e Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fee Loan.

Thanks,
Claire
I read that there will be an updated list of exception courses for 2020. Could you list them please.
Original post by johnyboy1234
I read that there will be an updated list of exception courses for 2020. Could you list them please.

Hi Johnyboy, we don't have any information regarding this yet.

Here is a list of the current exception courses.

Full Time
Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

Thanks, Isaac.
Hi I plan to do a biology diploma through the open university. I already have a certificate of Higher Education in leadership and management. If I use student finance to do the OU diploma, would I still then be able to get full package finance for a physiotherapy degree? The physiotherapy degree would be my third lot of higher education loans.
Original post by bertrewt

Hi there, Would this be as a full or part time course? Thanks, Angela
Hi I’m currently a graduate looking to enroll onto a second undergraduate degree - science and football. What in regards to funding am I eligible for?
Original post by Thewatcher999
Hi I’m currently a graduate looking to enroll onto a second undergraduate degree - science and football. What in regards to funding am I eligible for?

Hi there,

Can you please confirm the full name of this course and the university?

Do you know when the course begins?

Thanks, Graeme
BSc (Hons) Science and Football - Liverpool John Moore, entry September 2023
BSc (Hons) Science and Football - Liverpool John Moore, entry September 2023

Thanks, you won't be entitled to the Tuition Fee or Maintenance Loans for this course, unfortunately. You already have a degree and this course isn't an exception.

Courses like this can be exceptions when studied part-time, however. The university doesn't currently offer this course on a part-time basis, but it may be worth asking them directly if they plan to do this.

Thanks, Graeme
Thank you for your speedy reply. Is this still the case if I did not take out Maintenance loan and self funded my first year?
Thank you for your speedy reply. Is this still the case if I did not take out Maintenance loan and self funded my first year?

It is, yes - in this case you won't be entitled to the Maintenance Loan anyway, so you wouldn't have this option.

If, for example, the university tells you the course can be part-time, let us know here and we'll check this again.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 12
Hello, I’m a graduate looking to enroll onto a second undergraduate degree - BA (Hons) Ballet Education. I already have a certificate of Higher Education in Business and Management. Would I be able to get Tution Fee finance for a BA in BalletEducation? Thank you in advance.
Original post by Joannagr
Hello, I’m a graduate looking to enroll onto a second undergraduate degree - BA (Hons) Ballet Education. I already have a certificate of Higher Education in Business and Management. Would I be able to get Tution Fee finance for a BA in BalletEducation? Thank you in advance.

Hi there,

Can you please confirm how long your Higher Education course was? Did you get an Advanced Learner Loan for this?

Thanks, Graeme
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 14
Hi Graeme,

3 years , I didn't get an Advanced Learner Loan. My study and accommodation were funded by Student Finance England.

Thank you,
Joanna
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Joannagr
Hi Graeme,

3 years , I didn't get an Advanced Learner Loan. My study and accommodation were funded by Student Finance England.

Thank you,
Joanna

Thanks, are you planning to study this new course full-time?

If you have a particular university in mind that's offering this course can you please tell us too?

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending