The Student Room Group

Medical Advice Gallbladders?

Hey guys, I had a massive stomach pain a few days ago. I went to the doctors, they did a few tests etc and they've found out I have gall stones. The pain however has completely gone now and I feel like how I was before all of this. Is treatment still required? My doctor advises to remove my gallbladder but I wanna finish my second year exams off and gonna consider it after. Could do with some advice now. Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys, I had a massive stomach pain a few days ago. I went to the doctors, they did a few tests etc and they've found out I have gall stones. The pain however has completely gone now and I feel like how I was before all of this. Is treatment still required? My doctor advises to remove my gallbladder but I wanna finish my second year exams off and gonna consider it after. Could do with some advice now. Thanks!

Hi there,
It's against TSR rules to give medical advice. Your doctor would have thoroughly examined you and taken an unbiased history, so it may be best to go back to them and discuss your feelings of not wanting treatment at the moment and if you actually need treatment (they might be able to give you advice on what to do if the symptoms show up again)

If you want a different perspective on what's going on, perhaps you could see a different doctor?

I hope that helps!
It is the only treatment option to cure symptomatic gallstones. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy is the most common procedure instead of a traditional, open procedure.
Original post by elixirhtc
It is the only treatment option to cure symptomatic gallstones. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy is the most common procedure instead of a traditional, open procedure.

Is this required? I am feeling perfectly fine now with no symptoms, although my bilirubin level is very high (although I have no yellow appearance). I am going to the doctor tomorrow.
Original post by Anonymous
Is this required? I am feeling perfectly fine now with no symptoms, although my bilirubin level is very high (although I have no yellow appearance). I am going to the doctor tomorrow.

None of us can be sure, but your doctor will have a better idea - hope it goes well tomorrow :hugs:
I've never had gallstones but I have had gallbladder pains and both my parents had gallbladder surgery. Dietary fat can contribute to upsetting the gallbladder. I lowered my dietary fat intake when I started getting gallbladder pains and it helped me a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest