The Student Room Group

Medicine

Hello. I’m in year 12 doing Biology, History and Psychology A Levels. I’ve wanted to do Medicine for the longest time but due to personal reasons studying has been difficult therefore not the best grades. I’m not interested in applying Medicine straight way (Few options with my A Levels and grades). I heard I could do biomedical sciences and then transfer to medicine but I am very confused about how to do that. As in, which universities offer the transfer and most importantly grades. I’m predicted very low, but I have faith that I can turn them around. I was going through a tough patch the time of my mocks (which are used to predict grades on UCAS) but things are getting better.
Reply 1
Hi! I was a medic applicant this year and have received a place to study medicine! The general advice is if you know you want to study medicine and nothing else, don’t start another degrees as 1) it is more competitive, it often a requires you to have a higher UCAT and have a more elevated level of work experience, for example in hospitals 2) Once you have done a degree, your medical degree will have to be self-funded as the government won’t support not even even in tuition fees! I think this can be a really hard aspect which people often overlook as medical schools general advice is that you shouldn’t really work since it’s a really hard course with a lot of content to it, but if you do, a maximum of 12 hours per week is what most medical schools will allow! However this won’t be enough for e.g. your accommodation, food, expenses and tuition fees. 3) You will need to be achieving really high in your degree to be a competitive applicant for medicine and I think it’s much easier to get AAA at a level than it is to be getting a 1st in a biomed degree. My personal advice to you is if medicine is your passion, I say book your UCAT for this year and apply for the 2024/2025 entry. If you don’t want to enter for that year you can always do deferred entry! :smile:

Many medical schools will accept you as they will required biology and other science, it isn’t all Biology and Chemistry! And you have PLENTY of time to get your grades up before your final exams in year 13! If you do find a lot of medical schools won’t accept your a levels, take a gap year and you can do e.g. A-level chemistry during that year.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by bmedic
Hi! I was a medic applicant this year and have received a place to study medicine! The general advice is if you know you want to study medicine and nothing else, don’t start another degrees as 1) it is more competitive, it often a requires you to have a higher UCAT and have a more elevated level of work experience, for example in hospitals 2) Once you have done a degree, your medical degree will have to be self-funded as the government won’t support not even even in tuition fees! I think this can be a really hard aspect which people often overlook as medical schools general advice is that you shouldn’t really work since it’s a really hard course with a lot of content to it, but if you do, a maximum of 12 hours per week is what most medical schools will allow! However this won’t be enough for e.g. your accommodation, food, expenses and tuition fees. 3) You will need to be achieving really high in your degree to be a competitive applicant for medicine and I think it’s much easier to get AAA at a level than it is to be getting a 1st in a biomed degree. My personal advice to you is if medicine is your passion, I say book your UCAT for this year and apply for the 2024/2025 entry. If you don’t want to enter for that year you can always do deferred entry! :smile:

Many medical schools will accept you as they will required biology and other science, it isn’t all Biology and Chemistry! And you have PLENTY of time to get your grades up before your final exams in year 13! If you do find a lot of medical schools won’t accept your a levels, take a gap year and you can do e.g. A-level chemistry during that year.

Thank you for your reply, it’s really insightful. I would like to apply to medicine but my tutor said they can’t apply for me because of my predicted grades. I just don’t want to give up on my dream yet and have been searching for as many ways possible to still do Medicine.
Reply 3
Original post by its_usuallyme222
Thank you for your reply, it’s really insightful. I would like to apply to medicine but my tutor said they can’t apply for me because of my predicted grades. I just don’t want to give up on my dream yet and have been searching for as many ways possible to still do Medicine.

Is there any way you can get your predicted grades up? For example, ask to resit mocks etc? Or do a lot of extra revision now and show it to your teachers so they can predict you higher
Original post by bmedic
Is there any way you can get your predicted grades up? For example, ask to resit mocks etc? Or do a lot of extra revision now and show it to your teachers so they can predict you higher

I will be resitting mocks for biology , which may get my predicted grade higher but it’s not possible for History and Psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending