The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level History Unit 3 (Y301-Y321) - 24th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nomeraaa
omg frrrrrrrrr, i hate it so so so much. I’m deffo gonna have to re sit next year. I haven’t done any revision yet ( not jk) i’ve tried but it doesn’t go in my head so i’ve been putting it off. You guys should thank me, lowering the grade boundaries for you

sameeeeeee
Russia and its rulers gang how we feeling? my teachers pretty much adamant its gonna be provisional government for the source question. Do they ever ask that on anything that isnt to do with the PG falling/ why they failed?
Reply 22
Original post by MelissaCrumpton
does anyone have any tips or anything for the middle east paper ?? i've revised so much but i'm struggling to retain info because there's so much!
Thanks!

Im struggling so much on Theme 4, I really don't know how to structure essays for it so pls share any tips u have

For the rest of the themes, I would make timelines on each Theme so that you can make links across the time period in essays. Also helps with knowing dates, cause OCR care more about making sustained judgements in 25 markers and covering the whole period than knowing every minor detail. A good way to practice is to prep every single sub theme that could come up so that you have set answers, covering the whole period

Here's a list u can work from:
Western intervention
Peace
Aims and Policies (Very Vague)
Zionism
Land
Religion
Military
Political Power/Dominance
Imperialism
Economical growth
Terrorism
Political minorities
Pan-Arabism
Role of the UN
Ethnic Groups
Islamic Fundamentalism
Oil
All the countries tbh
Nasserism
Political parties/ Leaders
Statehood
Proxy Warfare/ Puppet governments
Social Issues

Hope this helps
Reply 23
Original post by JP Rebelo
Im struggling so much on Theme 4, I really don't know how to structure essays for it so pls share any tips u have

For the rest of the themes, I would make timelines on each Theme so that you can make links across the time period in essays. Also helps with knowing dates, cause OCR care more about making sustained judgements in 25 markers and covering the whole period than knowing every minor detail. A good way to practice is to prep every single sub theme that could come up so that you have set answers, covering the whole period

Here's a list u can work from:
Western intervention
Peace
Aims and Policies (Very Vague)
Zionism
Land
Religion
Military
Political Power/Dominance
Imperialism
Economical growth
Terrorism
Political minorities
Pan-Arabism
Role of the UN
Ethnic Groups
Islamic Fundamentalism
Oil
All the countries tbh
Nasserism
Political parties/ Leaders
Statehood
Proxy Warfare/ Puppet governments
Social Issues

Hope this helps

This is really useful thank you! I’m actually screwed for the interpretation because I’m only really good at theme 1
Reply 24
Original post by Yara1717
This is really useful thank you! I’m actually screwed for the interpretation because I’m only really good at theme 1

Honestly, same. But I have made notes and flashcards on the rest and, compared to the themes, is not actually that much information. Managed to fit everything typed up into like 8 pages per depth study, if I condensed it, maybe even less. I'm just struggling to remember key debates and the Six-Day War in terms of interpretations. you could definitely fit a depth study on an A3 mind map , would make the info less overwhelming to look at.

Maybe use Quizlet for flashcards, but I always see the most exaggerated and useless pieces of info that I will never remember on them

Just wished more people did this topic, so difficult to find resources let alone other perspectives
Reply 25
Original post by JP Rebelo
Honestly, same. But I have made notes and flashcards on the rest and, compared to the themes, is not actually that much information. Managed to fit everything typed up into like 8 pages per depth study, if I condensed it, maybe even less. I'm just struggling to remember key debates and the Six-Day War in terms of interpretations. you could definitely fit a depth study on an A3 mind map , would make the info less overwhelming to look at.

Maybe use Quizlet for flashcards, but I always see the most exaggerated and useless pieces of info that I will never remember on them

Just wished more people did this topic, so difficult to find resources let alone other perspectives

I find that the Quizlet resources don’t really go into much depth tbh, just numbers and dates but yeah im trying to condense all the info into sections
Original post by WeirdMedievalCat
Russia and its rulers gang how we feeling? my teachers pretty much adamant its gonna be provisional government for the source question. Do they ever ask that on anything that isnt to do with the PG falling/ why they failed?

so so so so bloody scared...advanced info for history this year would have been the biggest blessing

i rlly hope its on the PG like successes/failures cuz that wud be an absoloute blessing. theyve exhausted alexander ii and guess they cud ask smth like reasons for khrushchev fall but i rlly hope its the PG
Original post by tiredstudent234_
so so so so bloody scared...advanced info for history this year would have been the biggest blessing

i rlly hope its on the PG like successes/failures cuz that wud be an absoloute blessing. theyve exhausted alexander ii and guess they cud ask smth like reasons for khrushchev fall but i rlly hope its the PG

hope so bc I could recite the reasons for the pg falling to the ends of the earth I eat that up. Still so scared tho Hope the economy/society question is one where I can just spurt random facts about like wittes policies so i dont get forced to choose some niche question about the leaders differing views on expansion in asia or something like that bc nationalities is defo my weakest theme.
also have you seen that past paper q thats like 'to what extent was life consistently bleak for peasants 1855-1964'?? so abstract hope they dont pull something like that on us :/
Original post by bday.xo
Anyone here for Russia and its rulers? i need predictions or revision help. Im struggling

my teacher said it may be likely PG or Khrushchev will come up, and she also said that they might do a nationalities question cause of the events that have been happening this past year ... but i genuinely don't know. what you should be doing know is making plans of all the essay questions, which will help hone ur skill and knowledge for the exam! do the topics that are the worst for you... for me it's economy and society, and they've become more specific with the questions now so prepare for that as well.
hope so bc I could recite the reasons for the pg falling to the ends of the earth I eat that up. Still so scared tho Hope the economy/society question is one where I can just spurt random facts about like wittes policies so i dont get forced to choose some niche question about the leaders differing views on expansion in asia or something like that bc nationalities is defo my weakest theme.
also have you seen that past paper q thats like 'to what extent was life consistently bleak for peasants 1855-1964'?? so abstract hope they dont pull something like that on us :/

the peasant question while in the exam might seem awful but if you dig into it you can write a lot, political social and economic. its just the wording that might throw u off. they're basically asking u how awful the peasants under russia lived, and to answer that... it was very awful..!
Original post by sticklobster
the peasant question while in the exam might seem awful but if you dig into it you can write a lot, political social and economic. its just the wording that might throw u off. they're basically asking u how awful the peasants under russia lived, and to answer that... it was very awful..!

what is there to say on peasants politically? i get like w living conditions and working conditions they remained backwards and agriculture was neglected etc etc but in terms of political i can give you emancipation and thats about it

and also my teacher said that the exam board really love nationalities, and will probably tie in nationalities with war. i think if you're genuinely struggling with nationalities, hyperfocus on poland and the jewish population as in the exam it's good to write a paragraph on just Poland or the Jews if you're not going to do economic social and political, and tbh stuff like the caucasians and baltics don't have much in them so its not that much to worry over. far east is really obscure... i dont think ive ever planned an answer that included knowledge on that - but that's just me...
and also my teacher said that the exam board really love nationalities, and will probably tie in nationalities with war. i think if you're genuinely struggling with nationalities, hyperfocus on poland and the jewish population as in the exam it's good to write a paragraph on just Poland or the Jews if you're not going to do economic social and political, and tbh stuff like the caucasians and baltics don't have much in them so its not that much to worry over. far east is really obscure... i dont think ive ever planned an answer that included knowledge on that - but that's just me...

dyou reckon they cud do smth where they do a q on impact of war on nationalities and then have a whole separate q on nationalities because i get they come into 2 separate themes but sm on nationalities when its easily my weakest topic wud genuinely set me up to fail
what is there to say on peasants politically? i get like w living conditions and working conditions they remained backwards and agriculture was neglected etc etc but in terms of political i can give you emancipation and thats about it

Alexander II - emancipation -- led to lateral reforms which included the zemstvas, which gave peasant representation and the peasants the right to vote - however the voting system was made more difficult by Milyutin which skewed representation onto the gentry
legal reforms also led to less corruption in court, and peasants were given more legal care

Alexander III - complete repression, land captains in the countryside to basically spy on the peasants and to put down any peasant unrest

Nicholas II - 1905 revolution led to bloody sunday which led to the october manifesto which introduced the dumas, and these gave more representation to the peasant class politically but this decreased as the 1st and 2nd dumas were dissolved for being too radical, more noblemen in the 3rd + 4th dumas

PG - peasants had a lot of hope that the PG would do something about the 'land question' but they never did, and they felt that the PG leaders didn't have their best interest since they were upper/middle class. lots of anarchy in the countryside as the PG disbanded the secret police and land captains (this also ties into economic i think)

Lenin - 'land, bread, peace' -- he tries to cater to the peasants to garner support, however he really seems to dislike the peasant class, as the communist ideology pushes the peasants behind - they're subordinate to the workers, and in the civil war he fights against the 'greens' which are the peasant class, and the kronstadt mutiny in 1921 which is done by a bunch of sailors in support of their peasant families bc War Communism is causing famine (1921) is brutally repressed by trotsky. he also really dislikes kulaks which are like an upper peasant class and so he attempts to remove them.

Stalin - he really hates peasants. forced collectivisation goes with the 'liquidation of the kulak class' basically de-kulakisation, which causes a lot of peasant opposition since they're basically forced to give in their animals and crops, but also turn again their own friends in the communities. he responds with an article named 'dizzy with success' which is rare for Stalin, he actually doubles down on collectivisation and allows people to leave the collectives temporarily, basically he blames the other communist members for being 'too excited' abt collectivisation and going crazy implementing it, but after 1 or 2 years it becomes forced again. there are also forced famines in the Ukraine, the 'Holodomor' in which stalin made sure food was not sent to the Ukrainian population (made up primarily of peasants) and denied the existence of the famine, meaning that no relief could be given to the people. around 3.9 million Ukranians died. kulaks were also either imprisoned, sent to gulags or shot

Khrushchev -- ik he's named the 'peasant premiere' due to his economic policies but i don't remember much on political. the Thaw led to greater freedoms for the peasants ig? he encourages 'glasnost' and 'perestroika' similarly to Alex II (i might edit if i remember more info)

this is just what i can remember from the top of my head, but i hope this helps. try to make links between the leaders and find the overarching trend between all of them :smile:
dyou reckon they cud do smth where they do a q on impact of war on nationalities and then have a whole separate q on nationalities because i get they come into 2 separate themes but sm on nationalities when its easily my weakest topic wud genuinely set me up to fail

the exam board could do anything.. that's the scariest thing. but i feel like they wouldn't do two questions on nationalities, either just one on nationalities or one w/ nationalities that ties into another theme, which will probably be war and revolution
alexander ii - emancipation -- led to lateral reforms which included the zemstvas, which gave peasant representation and the peasants the right to vote - however the voting system was made more difficult by milyutin which skewed representation onto the gentry
legal reforms also led to less corruption in court, and peasants were given more legal care

alexander iii - complete repression, land captains in the countryside to basically spy on the peasants and to put down any peasant unrest

nicholas ii - 1905 revolution led to bloody sunday which led to the october manifesto which introduced the dumas, and these gave more representation to the peasant class politically but this decreased as the 1st and 2nd dumas were dissolved for being too radical, more noblemen in the 3rd + 4th dumas

pg - peasants had a lot of hope that the pg would do something about the 'land question' but they never did, and they felt that the pg leaders didn't have their best interest since they were upper/middle class. Lots of anarchy in the countryside as the pg disbanded the secret police and land captains (this also ties into economic i think)

lenin - 'land, bread, peace' -- he tries to cater to the peasants to garner support, however he really seems to dislike the peasant class, as the communist ideology pushes the peasants behind - they're subordinate to the workers, and in the civil war he fights against the 'greens' which are the peasant class, and the kronstadt mutiny in 1921 which is done by a bunch of sailors in support of their peasant families bc war communism is causing famine (1921) is brutally repressed by trotsky. He also really dislikes kulaks which are like an upper peasant class and so he attempts to remove them.

Stalin - he really hates peasants. Forced collectivisation goes with the 'liquidation of the kulak class' basically de-kulakisation, which causes a lot of peasant opposition since they're basically forced to give in their animals and crops, but also turn again their own friends in the communities. He responds with an article named 'dizzy with success' which is rare for stalin, he actually doubles down on collectivisation and allows people to leave the collectives temporarily, basically he blames the other communist members for being 'too excited' abt collectivisation and going crazy implementing it, but after 1 or 2 years it becomes forced again. There are also forced famines in the ukraine, the 'holodomor' in which stalin made sure food was not sent to the ukrainian population (made up primarily of peasants) and denied the existence of the famine, meaning that no relief could be given to the people. Around 3.9 million ukranians died. Kulaks were also either imprisoned, sent to gulags or shot

khrushchev -- ik he's named the 'peasant premiere' due to his economic policies but i don't remember much on political. The thaw led to greater freedoms for the peasants ig? He encourages 'glasnost' and 'perestroika' similarly to alex ii (i might edit if i remember more info)

this is just what i can remember from the top of my head, but i hope this helps. Try to make links between the leaders and find the overarching trend between all of them :smile:

omds this was so helpful thank you so much!!!
Reply 36
anyone have revision resources for the arab israeli 1967 war; causes and consequences pls? </3
Any Russia people know how you'd approach the question 'assess reasons why some rulers were more successful in improving the economy 1855-1964'? Really not sure what I'd pick as the 3 paragraph themes. Level of opposition as one maybe?
Any Russia people know how you'd approach the question 'assess reasons why some rulers were more successful in improving the economy 1855-1964'? Really not sure what I'd pick as the 3 paragraph themes. Level of opposition as one maybe?

maybe improvement to industry, improvement to agriculture, improvement in living conditions?

oh no acc these themes wud work better with a assess the view that the communists/tsars were more successful in improving the economy 1855-1964
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 39
Do any civil rights ppl have question predictions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending