The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level History Unit 3 (Y301-Y321) - 24th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi - I am doing Civil Rights in the USA - does anyone have a good structure for the paper - both questions?
Reply 41
Original post by jx19
Hi - I am doing Civil Rights in the USA - does anyone have a good structure for the paper - both questions?

For the interpretations, it's intro, interpretation 1, interpretation 2 then conclusion.

for the 2nd part, for African Americans n women i typically go for political, social and economic. For native americans it's self determination, land and culture. For trade unions, it's pay and conditions, recongition/right to exist, and union action.
Reply 42
Original post by Hasbo2005
For the interpretations, it's intro, interpretation 1, interpretation 2 then conclusion.

for the 2nd part, for African Americans n women i typically go for political, social and economic. For native americans it's self determination, land and culture. For trade unions, it's pay and conditions, recongition/right to exist, and union action.

Thankyou! - this is close to what I have been revising to do!
there has been a provisional government question (on why it was overthrown, war or Bolshevik strength), but only once. Last year was Khrushchev like someone else said.

I've been told it's should be about a 40% chance of getting the Provisional Government and about a 30% chance of the other two. (as Khrushchev has come up three times, and Alexander II has come up 4 times). Hope this helps, its worth prepping all of them though as its good for the thematic anyway :smile:
Original post by bday.xo
Anyone here for Russia and its rulers? i need predictions or revision help. Im struggling
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by WeirdMedievalCat
Any Russia people know how you'd approach the question 'assess reasons why some rulers were more successful in improving the economy 1855-1964'? Really not sure what I'd pick as the 3 paragraph themes. Level of opposition as one maybe?

i think you could do: industry, agriculture and maybe peasants/workers??
but in each paragraph, you would focus on the strategies, motivation, resources, personal qualities and personnel each leader had in regards to the factors. my teacher gave me a help sheet on it but the only factor they gave was industry
Reply 45

Thankyou - do you (or anyone else reading this) have any essay plans - My teacher left last year and so we never got a clear structure!

usually instead of interpretation 1 and then interpretation 2 we do weaker interpretation and then stronger interpretation
Any Russia people know how you'd approach the question 'assess reasons why some rulers were more successful in improving the economy 1855-1964'? Really not sure what I'd pick as the 3 paragraph themes. Level of opposition as one maybe?

I've never seen a question like that before and I doubt it will come up, because it isn't asking you to talk about successes vs failures, only successes. It's less synoptic than other questions in the past have been, which is the whole point of the Q lol.

But if it ever did come up, I'd do economic ideology, the growing necessity of catching up with the West, and improving living and working conditions/lives of the people
Reply 48
Original post by jx19
Thankyou - do you (or anyone else reading this) have any essay plans - My teacher left last year and so we never got a clear structure!

It's usually the same for every essay, but for factors questions, you got to think of factors relating to the question.
Reply 49
It's usually the same for every essay, but for factors questions, you got to think of factors relating to the question.

Thanks - could you give me an example if possible please?
does anyone have any predictions for the middle east paper?
Reply 51
Original post by hiilikesushi
does anyone have any predictions for the middle east paper?

It’s hard to predict for OCR on the Middle East, especially the 30 mark interpretation because there’s been times where they’ve done Arab-Israeli twice in a row. No obvious patterns tbh.
Original post by Yara1717
It’s hard to predict for OCR on the Middle East, especially the 30 mark interpretation because there’s been times where they’ve done Arab-Israeli twice in a row. No obvious patterns tbh.

im hoping for a great powers q for thematic q
Reply 53
Does anyone have a particular structure they follow for the interpretation question and thematic questions for Russia and its rulers?
Original post by Tom04
Does anyone have a particular structure they follow for the interpretation question and thematic questions for Russia and its rulers?

interpretation=
intro -> outline debate, and which passage is more convincing
passage A + B -> write which one is least/most convincing in the first sentence of the paragraph and their view in relation to the question. 3/4 quotes, with knowledge to support and refute, and then make a judgement on if the statement is convincing. then make an overall judgement at the end of each para
conclusion = outline which is more convincing and why, outline the strengths and weaknesses of each passage and consider which is more convincing

theme =
intro = context, premise, factors
3 factors = overall trend statement, make links between continuity and change between all leaders (at least 4 leaders each para - 2 tsars and 2 communists to be synoptic) and make interim judgements
conclusion = just outline your argument on each factor and consider if your answer agrees with it or not
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by sticklobster
interpretation=
intro -> outline debate, and which passage is more convincing
passage A + B -> write which one is least/most convincing in the first sentence of the paragraph and their view in relation to the question. 3/4 quotes, with knowledge to support and refute, and then make a judgement on if the statement is convincing. then make an overall judgement at the end of each para
conclusion = outline which is more convincing and why, outline the strengths and weaknesses of each passage and consider which is more convincing

theme =
intro = context, premise, factors
3 factors = overall trend statement, make links between continuity and change between all leaders (at least 4 leaders each para - 2 tsars and 2 communists to be synoptic) and make interim judgements
conclusion = just outline your argument on each factor and consider if your answer agrees with it or not

do you think its worth comparing A and B on specific things (i.e saying 'unlike source A') in each respective paragraph a bit? or is that a waste of thought best saved for the final conclusion?
do you think its worth comparing A and B on specific things (i.e saying 'unlike source A') in each respective paragraph a bit? or is that a waste of thought best saved for the final conclusion?

i think you could do a passing mention of it but dont go into too much detail until your judgement at the end of the paragraph and the conclusion
Damn im guessing not very many people do OCR for history
Reply 58
This is not indicative of anything tbh- the edexcel politics thread is massive this yr but tiny last yr

Original post by 9e839q2
Reply 59
Original post by 9e839q2

I do! - what do you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending