The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level History Unit 3 (Y301-Y321) - 24th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jx19
I do! - what do you do?

Empire 1857-1965 - impossible to find anyone sharing the same history modules online
Original post by sticklobster
i think you could do a passing mention of it but dont go into too much detail until your judgement at the end of the paragraph and the conclusion

yeah thanks for the response thats what I figured.
Open to any russia-bros but ive got loads of contradicting statistics for stalins purges, ive got in my main notes that there were 40 million total in gulags throughout the whole period but that seems high and from research its pretty nuanced so anyone know what the 'exam-preferred' number is??

Also anyone got reliable statistics for stalins party purges (how many were expelled or shot) because ive got loads and idk which ones are useful (I know itll be fine just using any of them but may as well have the right ones)??

Same for stolypins necktie. Ive got 1500 executed and 45k deported?
Original post by WeirdMedievalCat
yeah thanks for the response thats what I figured.
Open to any russia-bros but ive got loads of contradicting statistics for stalins purges, ive got in my main notes that there were 40 million total in gulags throughout the whole period but that seems high and from research its pretty nuanced so anyone know what the 'exam-preferred' number is??

Also anyone got reliable statistics for stalins party purges (how many were expelled or shot) because ive got loads and idk which ones are useful (I know itll be fine just using any of them but may as well have the right ones)??

Same for stolypins necktie. Ive got 1500 executed and 45k deported?

I’ve noticed similar problems when i’ve been researching Stalin’s Great Terror

I think the problem is that it just isn’t documented so as a result it’s all up to interpretation as to numbers.
My history teacher said similar, not clear, doesn’t matter what you put as there’s just so many contradictory numbers
Original post by WeirdMedievalCat
Russia and its rulers gang how we feeling? my teachers pretty much adamant its gonna be provisional government for the source question. Do they ever ask that on anything that isnt to do with the PG falling/ why they failed?

I'm praying it's not on PG as my teachers said it's most likely to be Alexander II, so that's what I've revised most. They said since it was Khrushchev last year and PG the year before, they'll likely follow the pattern they have always done. If they don't, then I'm so screwed haha.
I have been looking at recent papers, and 2017 used PG, and last year used Khrushchev for interpretations. My teachers informed me that they used a pattern of Alexander II, PG and then Khrushchev, and it's been like that for a while, so tomorrow's interpretations is likely to be on Alexander II. Really hoping I haven't been fed a lie :s-smilie:
Original post by m.thom
I don't have specific predictions but I can try to help!
The first 3 or 4 interpretations topics for this spec were all Alexander II, all in a row. 2021 was Khrushchev, and I think it may have been in 2022 as well, but I don't have access to it
That means no Provisional Government interpretations yet, and not all topics have been covered for Khrushchev - make sure those are well prepped.

In terms of essays, I can say as much as you about specific questions, but generally the exam looks like this (order varies):

1. Nature of Government (Includes opposition)
2. Economy and Society
3. War + Revolution OR Empire, Nationalities and Satellite States.

Obviously this is just a rule of thumb, but the main point is that Nature and Economy tend to be constant, so make sure you can answer those, and W+R and E+N vary year by year
Original post by humanoid_freak
I'm praying it's not on PG as my teachers said it's most likely to be Alexander II, so that's what I've revised most. They said since it was Khrushchev last year and PG the year before, they'll likely follow the pattern they have always done. If they don't, then I'm so screwed haha.

they have only done PG once, Alexander II 4 times and Khruschev 3 times. Most likely PG, from what I've been told. Sorry 😭
I have been looking at recent papers, and 2017 used PG, and last year used Khrushchev for interpretations. My teachers informed me that they used a pattern of Alexander II, PG and then Khrushchev, and it's been like that for a while, so tomorrow's interpretations is likely to be on Alexander II. Really hoping I haven't been fed a lie :s-smilie:

i've never noticed a pattern? what you said there doesn't align with the past papers I have either 😭
Hi, I'm doing Y316, Britain and Ireland 1791-1921 D:
Yikes. I'm doing last-minute PG revision now. FFS, can't my teachers just give us some hope, rather than false 'promises'??
Original post by frenchgrace
i've never noticed a pattern? what you said there doesn't align with the past papers I have either 😭
Yikes. I'm doing last-minute PG revision now. FFS, can't my teachers just give us some hope, rather than false 'promises'??

my teacher said its best to do all, its all good for thematic anyway!
Reply 70
Anyone doing Catholic reformation and if so any predictions for what could be on the paper
(edited 11 months ago)
I think beria himself slipped in and put Alexander II In Q1 like what
anyone else think the russia questions were just weird
like the 4th one was so vague ??
Original post by top-lushness
anyone else think the russia questions were just weird
like the 4th one was so vague ??

the stalin one was also vague... what did it mean by personal? im guessing social but what about economic ?? i still did it tho cause that 4th question 😭😭😭
Reply 74
How did everyone find ocr civil rights
Reply 75
Original post by Annafaris
How did everyone find ocr civil rights

I thought it was alright. The interpretations was relatively easy compared to some others I have seen and the thematic questions were not bad. I did the African American and labour ones. What about you?
Original post by sticklobster
the stalin one was also vague... what did it mean by personal? im guessing social but what about economic ?? i still did it tho cause that 4th question 😭😭😭

ikr! i’m kinda stressing because everyone ik from my sixth form that did it all seem pretty happy about it…

I just felt a bit unsure and put off my how weird the questions were
Reply 77
That African American question was so iffy
Original post by freya.rb
what factors did u do for q4 russia and its rulers was it on minorities or like what

i couldn’t tell!! I basically wrote about russian people generally rather than minorities…

the vagueness was AWFUL so i’m hoping they don’t penalise me for not taking the minorities approach
Reply 79
Middle East was a bit difficult ngl, especially the thematic on Oslo accords, interpretation was a bit strange too since they asked about suez and the 67 war?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending