The Student Room Group

UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jlcobham8
Hey I did biomed, when I didn’t get into Medicine after sixth form and it came with its challenges but overall it was really interesting and enjoyable
I managed to get a 1st, so happy to assist or answer anymore questions

Rigth, congrats on getting a 1st. It’s just that I don’t want to do anything else apart for med and I’m thinking that if I end up not getting the grades for gap year and doing biomed it might affect the way I learn. How was it with you and did you feel that the time went quite quick ?
Original post by B7861
Rigth, congrats on getting a 1st. It’s just that I don’t want to do anything else apart for med and I’m thinking that if I end up not getting the grades for gap year and doing biomed it might affect the way I learn. How was it with you and did you feel that the time went quite quick ?

Truthfully, it is harder to get into Medicine as a graduate, there are less spaces for graduates (even if u apply on the undergrad course) they cap the number of graduates they can take, and it’s just a lot more competitive and ofcourse funding is another hurdle

so i would advise if you have good GCSE and A Levels to take a gap year

my gcses and a levels were average so I felt doing biomed was beneficial for me to try medicine as a graduate
but biomed did go very fast honestly and i don’t think it affected my learning, i believe it’s helped me be equipped for med, because I did anatomy sessions and dissections, PBLs and did OSCEs during biomed (I chose the clinical pathway for my 3rd year)

so it really just depends on your individual situation at the moment!
Truthfully, it is harder to get into Medicine as a graduate, there are less spaces for graduates (even if u apply on the undergrad course) they cap the number of graduates they can take, and it’s just a lot more competitive and ofcourse funding is another hurdle

my gcses and a levels were average so I felt doing biomed was beneficial for me to try medicine as a graduate
but biomed did go very fast honestly and i don’t think it affected my learning, i believe it’s helped me be equipped for med, because I did anatomy sessions and dissections, PBLs and did OSCEs during biomed (I chose the clinical pathway for my 3rd year)

ok, thanks for the advice. im just hoping I get at least AAA so dont have to do biomed. sorry for asking so much questions but if your ok with answering what unis did you apply for and which gave you an interview?
Reply 23
Got 3070 last year, planning for reapply now (only waiting for respond from one uni) really don't want to do this again 😭
Original post by B7861
ok, thanks for the advice. im just hoping I get at least AAA so dont have to do biomed. sorry for asking so much questions but if your ok with answering what unis did you apply for and which gave you an interview?

I applied for St Georges, Kent and Medway, Queen Mary and Anglia Ruskin
I was given all 4 interviews

2 offers and 2 on hold waiting list
wow amazing, we'll I kind of dont feel terrible of the prospect that I have to take biomed, thanks for the help
I applied for St Georges, Kent and Medway, Queen Mary and Anglia Ruskin
I was given all 4 interviews

2 offers and 2 on hold waiting list

Hello, I hope you're well :smile: I was wondering if you could advise me since I am in a similar situation to what you were in before. I am currently a second year BSc Biomedical Science student at KCL on track to achieve a first. At GCSE I obtained 999 (English Lit, History, RE) 8888 (Bio, Chem, Physics, English Lang) 66 (Maths, Arabic) and AAA at A-level (in Biology, Chemistry, and History). Over the summer, I hope to sit the UCAT (What score should I be aiming for? And if you do not mind sharing, what did you get and how many interviews were you offered because of it and from what unis?) and will be ramping up my work experience (I have volunteered at a hospital, have some upcoming shadow experience, and will be applying for some experience at nursing home) too. I am hoping to apply for undergrad and grad medicine at KCL and QM. I know my stats aren't particularly as strong as other medical school applicants, so I was wondering what advice you would give to someone like me having gone through the experience already?
Original post by YuanG
Got 3070 last year, planning for reapply now (only waiting for respond from one uni) really don't want to do this again 😭

How did you revise? And where did you apply? That is such a good UCAT score, I'm surprised you were rejected. Was this pre or post interview?
Reply 28
Original post by cutelilpapiclown
How did you revise? And where did you apply? That is such a good UCAT score, I'm surprised you were rejected. Was this pre or post interview?

I mainly used medify, all the mocks with around 1/3 questions. One rejection is pre interview due to gcses and the other one is post interview (I only applies for three)
Hello, I hope you're well :smile: I was wondering if you could advise me since I am in a similar situation to what you were in before. I am currently a second year BSc Biomedical Science student at KCL on track to achieve a first. At GCSE I obtained 999 (English Lit, History, RE) 8888 (Bio, Chem, Physics, English Lang) 66 (Maths, Arabic) and AAA at A-level (in Biology, Chemistry, and History). Over the summer, I hope to sit the UCAT (What score should I be aiming for? And if you do not mind sharing, what did you get and how many interviews were you offered because of it and from what unis?) and will be ramping up my work experience (I have volunteered at a hospital, have some upcoming shadow experience, and will be applying for some experience at nursing home) too. I am hoping to apply for undergrad and grad medicine at KCL and QM. I know my stats aren't particularly as strong as other medical school applicants, so I was wondering what advice you would give to someone like me having gone through the experience already?

hey, I hope you’re well!
I would say for Graduate entry medicine you want 3000+ and for undergraduate id say minimum 2800

I got 2910 and got all 4 interviews (I only applied for undergrad) at St George’s, Kent and Medway, Queen Marys and Anglia Ruskin

Your stats are great so far, the only thing u need now is a really good ucat score 2800+ id say, and a minimum 2.1 (QM prefer 1sts) but with a good ucat score you should receive all 4 interviews (depending on where you’re applying)

If you’re applying to any of the ones I applied to, I am happy to give specific advice!
I got 2880 last year and got rejected from Kings pre interview (even with a 1st) because they also rank your GCSEs whereas other unis don’t rank GCSEs for graduates! so definitely look into what things each uni focuses on

But my main thing would be to focus on the UCAT, because that is essentially the deciding factor for being offered an interview and once u sit the ucat, based on your score, then you can strategically decide which unis you’ll have best chance with

Happy to answer anymore questions
xx
Original post by YuanG
I mainly used medify, all the mocks with around 1/3 questions. One rejection is pre interview due to gcses and the other one is post interview (I only applies for three)

Which uni rejected you pre-interview due to your GCSEs? And what grades did you obtain at GCSE if you do not mind answering? Thank you
hey, I hope you’re well!
I would say for Graduate entry medicine you want 3000+ and for undergraduate id say minimum 2800

I got 2910 and got all 4 interviews (I only applied for undergrad) at St George’s, Kent and Medway, Queen Marys and Anglia Ruskin

Your stats are great so far, the only thing u need now is a really good ucat score 2800+ id say, and a minimum 2.1 (QM prefer 1sts) but with a good ucat score you should receive all 4 interviews (depending on where you’re applying)

If you’re applying to any of the ones I applied to, I am happy to give specific advice!
I got 2880 last year and got rejected from Kings pre interview (even with a 1st) because they also rank your GCSEs whereas other unis don’t rank GCSEs for graduates! so definitely look into what things each uni focuses on

But my main thing would be to focus on the UCAT, because that is essentially the deciding factor for being offered an interview and once u sit the ucat, based on your score, then you can strategically decide which unis you’ll have best chance with

Happy to answer anymore questions
xx

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. I have sent you a pm
Reply 32
Which uni rejected you pre-interview due to your GCSEs? And what grades did you obtain at GCSE if you do not mind answering? Thank you

Southampton. My bg is complicated and I brlieve they rejected me for many reasons. I have 8 in English and B jn AS maths( equivalent to gcse maths A)..
Hey everyone,

If you're seeing this, then you're probably a smart applicant looking at tsr threads way before you really need to.... so props! Anyways I'm a med turned dental appliant who did the UCAT last year, and I scored 3260 B1 (VR - 740; DM - 800; QR - 850; AR - 870), and if my A levels go well, starting dentistry at either Glasgow or Belfast in September. I know how helpful (certain aspects) or tsr has been, so if anyone has any questions about the UCAT or needs help with their med/dent applications I'd be more than happy to help, please PM me!

This is some advice I gave last year -
- For VR I actually had 1m30s spare after completing all the questions. What I found most useful was reading the question first, looking at the first option, scanning the first paragraph (by this I mean read the first, middlemost and last sentence, everything else pretty much glanced at or ignored completely) looking at the second, 3rd and 4th options then reading the rest of the paragraphs. 50 seconds is the max time spent on each question, if over please skip it. The difficulty was similar to that of medify, mostly harder than the official mocks and also a little harder than medentry
- For DM, not much advice to be given, just keep in mind things can be vague, it's important to think things through. Syllogisms I found particularly difficult, but as long as you make sense of it it'll all be fine. DM was similar to the official mocks, a little harder than medify and not too sure about medentry
- For QR, much easier than medify, official mocks and medentry, although I would highly encourage practicing on a calculator and doing mental maths quickly
- AR was also much easier than medify and the actual mocks, and it was different. Different in the sense that for medify you are looking for multiple patterns all interacting at once, whilst the the actual exam wasn't really quite that
- SJT was VERY hard, did NOT expect a band 1, and whilst there are other guides out there that tell you to read GMC, I decidedly went against this advice. This is because UCAT often differs from real life scenarios and the UCAT looks for different things. When doing an answer think about what UCAT would like you to answer, not what the GMC would.

Good luck to everyone!
(edited 1 year ago)
Happy to offer support to any medical applicants!

Then hang around on the threads and then lots of people can benefit from your support and experience :smile:
Hi guys,
I want to ask a question related to booking the UCAT.

So, my parents are planning on going on holiday as a family during the summer (a long time 4/5 weeks) and this is why I want to sit the UCAT early on during the booking season and revise for it in June/July.

The first testing day is 11th July this year and I wanted to ask how often the tests available in a particular city. Does testing happen every day or only during the week?

I know most of you won't know this but if you booked the test early and you have any info please help.
Reply 36
just as a general guidance for everyone sitting the ucat this year, I have just been through the whole process and I remember having nearly no idea what score I should be aiming for. This year (2023 entry) the highest English med school's cut-off was 2910 at university of Bristol (Edinburgh's is higher as an English / rest of UK student but hard to tell exactly what the required score was). So a score above 2900 should realistically be comfortable for achieving multiple interviews. However, I know people who got in the 2700s and still got 4 interviews by applying strategically to universities that took more people to interview and focused less on ucat, e.g. QUB, Liverpool, Kent, Leicester, HYMS, Cardiff etc. However, I would say the main thing to focus on is doing your own research to apply strategically by looking for cut-offs (specifically 2022 or 2023 entry) and acceptance rates post interview, this is what helped me to get 4 offers from very high standard med schools!
Websites to help would be the 'what do they know' website were there is multiple freedom of information requests on specific universities' ucat statistics.
Reply 37
Original post by BBB234chem
just as a general guidance for everyone sitting the ucat this year, I have just been through the whole process and I remember having nearly no idea what score I should be aiming for. This year (2023 entry) the highest English med school's cut-off was 2910 at university of Bristol (Edinburgh's is higher as an English / rest of UK student but hard to tell exactly what the required score was). So a score above 2900 should realistically be comfortable for achieving multiple interviews. However, I know people who got in the 2700s and still got 4 interviews by applying strategically to universities that took more people to interview and focused less on ucat, e.g. QUB, Liverpool, Kent, Leicester, HYMS, Cardiff etc. However, I would say the main thing to focus on is doing your own research to apply strategically by looking for cut-offs (specifically 2022 or 2023 entry) and acceptance rates post interview, this is what helped me to get 4 offers from very high standard med schools!
Websites to help would be the 'what do they know' website were there is multiple freedom of information requests on specific universities' ucat statistics.

Can you please recommend the websites or any particular approach to follow for UCAT and BMAT?Your help will be really appreciated
Original post by Chaitanya v
Can you please recommend the websites or any particular approach to follow for UCAT and BMAT?Your help will be really appreciated

Not op, but a lot of people use medify or medentry. Can't comment on medentry but medify was a lifesaver for me - heaps of tips and tricks, question banks for timed and untimed questions, 24 (ish) full 2 hour mocks, quick maths and comprehension trainers, the list goes on. medentry has similar according to other people's experiences. PassMed is also a good option for SJT questions, and of course the official UCAT website mocks/question banks are useful guides. Note that all resources outside the UCAT official website inevitably vary in difficulty according to the real thing and it is random on what questions you get on the day - no practice mock will be 100% perfect.
Reply 39
Original post by medic0975
Not op, but a lot of people use medify or medentry. Can't comment on medentry but medify was a lifesaver for me - heaps of tips and tricks, question banks for timed and untimed questions, 24 (ish) full 2 hour mocks, quick maths and comprehension trainers, the list goes on. medentry has similar according to other people's experiences. PassMed is also a good option for SJT questions, and of course the official UCAT website mocks/question banks are useful guides. Note that all resources outside the UCAT official website inevitably vary in difficulty according to the real thing and it is random on what questions you get on the day - no practice mock will be 100% perfect.

Thank you Sir

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending