The Student Room Group

UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Nithinnnn
Hello, I myself need help with ucat, I have been scoring 2000 consistent and i dont see improvements, My weak points are verbal reasoning and abstract. Can you give me good tips, because skimming takes too much time and i dont understand any pattern for abstract

Hi so i scored in the 9th decile for 2021 from the 5th decile in 2020. VR was also my weakest and i found skimming ineffective as I wasn't fully understanding the text and had to re-read it multiple times. Instead I focussed on working on my speed reading techniques which are also quite useful at medical school (or for most degrees). I used a free speed reading software (can't remember what it was called).

For AR i remember it being one of my top scoring sections. I found that it was more about technique so knowing the common themes that they then to use e.g. colours and sides. I know some people made notes on which patterns they found in the question without the time pressure. From these you can identify common themes to make yourself faster. With AR I really do think its just loads and loads of practice which can be quite annoying. I used the 6med UCAT ninja and they are operating on a pay as much as you want basis for the whole question bank rather than a fixed fee so might be a shout if you're not wanting to invest loads of money into it.
hi everyone, i’m a second year medical genetics student. looking to apply for medicine 2024 entry (both grad and undergrad, i want to keep my options open). i want to give my ucat as early as possible. any tips for ucat prep is much appreciated x
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 82
Original post by zalishmalikk
hi everyone, i’m a second year medical genetics student. looking to apply for medicine 2024 entry (both grad and undergrad, i want to keep my options open). i want to give my ucat as early as possible. any tips for ucat prep is much appreciated x

hi,
I have done my undergrad and masters and now starting medicine in september

I applied for both grad and undergrad (scoring 2910) happy to help
Reply 83

I would suggest to firstly get yourself familiar with the question types, personally I used books to went through each sections without timing. After had a taste of the questions, I used medify for timed practise on my weakest part + mocks. Most important part is to go through the answers and understand them. Last I would suggest take around 2 weeks for official question bank and mocks, especially for DM.
Original post by Jlcobham8
hi,
I have done my undergrad and masters and now starting medicine in september

I applied for both grad and undergrad (scoring 2910) happy to help

congrats on getting in!!
it's okay if you don't want to answer this, but did you get a conditional or an unconditional offer?
secondly, I want to give my UCAT on the first date available I've been studying for two weeks, so I've got around 6 more weeks to go. I've only taken two full mocks on medify, and my scores are hitting 2500. I'm losing the most marks in QR and DM. would you have any advice on that? also approximately how many hours would you give for prep daily?
thank you!! how many weeks in total did you study for the exam?
Original post by YuanG
I would suggest to firstly get yourself familiar with the question types, personally I used books to went through each sections without timing. After had a taste of the questions, I used medify for timed practise on my weakest part + mocks. Most important part is to go through the answers and understand them. Last I would suggest take around 2 weeks for official question bank and mocks, especially for DM.
Reply 86
congrats on getting in!!
it's okay if you don't want to answer this, but did you get a conditional or an unconditional offer?
secondly, I want to give my UCAT on the first date available I've been studying for two weeks, so I've got around 6 more weeks to go. I've only taken two full mocks on medify, and my scores are hitting 2500. I'm losing the most marks in QR and DM. would you have any advice on that? also approximately how many hours would you give for prep daily?

Hey, thanks!

I got unconditional offers (as I had all of my grades already) I just have to submit my DBS and health checks

Each day I did prep, I increased my hours over time, I say starting from 1-2 hours and increased to 4 or so hours closer to the exam but it all depends on how smart you work compared to the hours worked

Happy if you want to personal message me
Hey, thanks!

I got unconditional offers (as I had all of my grades already) I just have to submit my DBS and health checks

Each day I did prep, I increased my hours over time, I say starting from 1-2 hours and increased to 4 or so hours closer to the exam but it all depends on how smart you work compared to the hours worked

Happy if you want to personal message me

thank you for offering! as soon as I'm allowed to pm (I'm a new member here, it'll take a few days) I'll pm you any further questions I have x
Reply 88
Hi everyone,

I'm a UCL medic coming to the end of my first year,

I had to take a gap year as I did not do well on the UCAT first time around (2490) and then second time I got (2590), I received interviews from both Barts and Liverpool with my second application,

if anyone has any questions, by all means ask them :smile:
Reply 89
thank you!! how many weeks in total did you study for the exam?

Around three months with gradually increased workload and usually two days off each week.
my first choice is UCL! what do you think they focused the most on when they looked at your application? was it your ucat grades, your a levels, or both?
Original post by Rozh11
Hi everyone,

I'm a UCL medic coming to the end of my first year,

I had to take a gap year as I did not do well on the UCAT first time around (2490) and then second time I got (2590), I received interviews from both Barts and Liverpool with my second application,

if anyone has any questions, by all means ask them :smile:
if you don't mind me asking and if you don't want to answer that's more than okay, but what was your UCAT score?
Original post by YuanG
Around three months with gradually increased workload and usually two days off each week.
Reply 92
if you don't mind me asking and if you don't want to answer that's more than okay, but what was your UCAT score?

It's fine, I got 3070 last year.
Reply 93
my first choice is UCL! what do you think they focused the most on when they looked at your application? was it your ucat grades, your a levels, or both?

UCL uses BMAT, so who knows what they will do after this year!
A levels are just used as minimum requirements
Reply 94

Hiya! I would highly recommend trying the questions and figuring out which sections you are your strongest and which are your weakest so you can try being up your weakest. So keep track of your progress and actively work on your weaker parts. There are various question banks out there that you can try so find one that suits you best! UcatNinja has some good stuff, I also bought a book when I did mine which coached me on how to approach UCAT and best prepare for it (can’t remember what it’s called) but the essence of it was essentially making sure you keep track of your strengths and weaknesses, ensuring you do timed practices, and regular practice! You’ve got this!!
Reply 95
hi everyone, last year when i took the UCAT (and didn't make the cut), I was surprised of how different the fonts were from the Medify platform, especially for VR. I don't know if it was just in my examination centre or if its everywhere. Does anyone remember if we are able to zoom the fonts in and out on the exam screen?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by brasamical
hi everyone, last year when i took the UCAT (and didn't make the cut), I was surprised of how different the fonts were from the Medify platform, especially for VR. I don't know if it was just in my examination centre or if its everywhere. Does anyone remember if we are able to zoom the fonts in and out on the exam screen?

Unless you have specific access requirements, I don't think you can zoom in or out on the exam screen unfortunately.
Hi all! When are you guys planning on sitting your UCAT? I've just finished with my second year uni exams and purchased medify for the next 4 months, but not sure exactly when to do it. I'm thinking of working on it slowly and building up until 1st Sep? Only because I start uni at the end of Sep so I have a short break then anyways. Please let me know your thoughts!
Reply 98
XXXX

Advertising is against TSR rules. As has been pointed out before, this is a thread where it would be really helpful for people with experience to offer advice, and then it would reach/benefit the most people
Reply 99
Original post by GANFYD
Advertising is against TSR rules. As has been pointed out before, this is a thread where it would be really helpful for people with experience to offer advice, and then it would reach/benefit the most people

didn’t realise it was against the rules

I read the rules beforehand:

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Apologies! Glad I know now for next time thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending