The Student Room Group

Paths after quitting PhD

I am currently almost 1.5 years through my PhD in theoretical physics. For a number of reasons (you can see my previous thread asking for advice almost a year ago about whether to quit), I have decided that I would no longer like to continue with the program as its having a detrimental effect on my mental health and is simply not what I enjoy.

My question now is, what are my options? I do not have any papers (I am trying to work towards one but it will be a few months at least). I am not sure whether to graduate with an MPhil (I have heard this is not favorably looked upon if I ever decide to return to academia). I am convinced that it is this particular program that is not right for me, and I would fare better in CDT or a more structured course. But I have nothing to show for the past 1.5 years.

I am really struggling to decide what I want to do next. Since my issue is structure, I feel that i should look for a job (9-5) for a few years, and then potentially go back to academia to finish scratching that itch. At the moment, I dont know if I have ruined my chances of getting any phd position elsewhere because I've quit this one, in a topic I am much more interested in and an environment that is more conducive to how I work (but then again, how do I know if its a 'me' problem or a research problem, so maybe I shouldn't go back ...?)

I am unsure of what I actually enjoy and my confidence in my own ability is completely shot at this point. There are topics I am interested in, but I feel that I lack the necessary foundations to be qualified for jobs in those fields particularly as my last experience of those topics was in my undergrad (integrated masters) 1.5 years ago.

I feel quite hopeless and lost about what my options are. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Really sorry to hear of your troubles; PhDs really can wreak havoc with mental health and really just about everything.

Could I ask, are you on a funded PhD placement?
Original post by Caius Filimon
Really sorry to hear of your troubles; PhDs really can wreak havoc with mental health and really just about everything.

Could I ask, are you on a funded PhD placement?

Yes. The funding won't be an issue if I decide to quit (or even take a break for a year or so) - I have discussed this with my supervisor already.
Original post by IDontKnowReally
Yes. The funding won't be an issue if I decide to quit (or even take a break for a year or so) - I have discussed this with my supervisor already.

In that case, would you seriously consider going for the year-long break in an attempt to enter the labour market? I haven't yet started a PhD, but I know for a fact that my unwilling gap year after a university lost my postgraduate application and I was forced into a very unfortunate labour market, I really found a lot more strength to hone in on academics.

I assume you have not yet applied for any graduate schemes, and for most of the best ones, it's a bit late to apply now for this coming academic/work year.

If you can find something worth working, it would be best to try and enter the workforce for a year and see if you can rethink your feelings and research about your PhD. It can really freshen things up a lot, and it might be best to not entirely give up on the funded place.

I wouldn't be able to advise on how it would be seen if you do drop out of this one; as it's a funded placement you also don't really have the option to say it was a financial decision. As far as I know, from my PhD friends, it does seem like dedication is extremely sought after, so you might have pretty serious issues in finding a different place afterwards.

This was mostly hearsay - but personally I'd really advise you take a 'gap year' and work IF you can find something decent to do. If it's not meaningful or very badly paid work, it might help you be much more motivated for the PhD. If it's meaningful work, you might even already have a valid career ahead of you from that, and you should certainly be able to get a part-time PhD place without funding later on.
Hey @IDontKnowReally,

Firstly, I am sorry to hear that you've been struggling with your PhD programme. Know that you are not alone and, if the PhD is not working for you and you've investigated all your options thoroughly (and talked them through with your support network: supervisor, friends, family etc.), it is totally okay to quit.

I appreciate that quitting probably feels like a 'failure' right now but knowing when a particular course of action isn't working for you - and reflecting upon why - is a strength, not a weakness. After my BA, I enrolled on a PGCE course. I really wanted to do an MA but I didn't have the money to undertake one at the time whereas PGCEs were funded. Turns out this is a bad reason for doing a PGCE. Whilst I was succeeding at the course, I was utterly miserable and I knew, deep down, that I wouldn't make a very good school teacher. After battling through my first placement, I made the decision to quit. I found a temporary job doing data entry and working on reception at a local business. I felt like such a failure at the time but, looking back, it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Whilst the job I took wasn't the most scintillating, it paid the bills and gave me the time to reflect on what had gone wrong, why the PGCE didn't work for me, and what I might want to do next. It also taught me some of the realities of the workplace! After my temporary contract finished, I eventually ended up in estate agency where I worked for over a decade before deciding that the time was right for me to finish scratching the academic itch. I returned to university to do my MA and am now working towards my PhD in the hope of moving into academia (turns out I do love teaching, just not in secondary school!). I honestly think I'm a better researcher - and a better teacher - as a result of that time away from academia.

I have been asked several times in interviews (both for academic and for employment) about the 'gap' in my CV from when I was taking the PGCE and I'm always honest: I started a course that wasn't right for me and I quit. However I try to couch that in terms of what I learnt from the experience and how it helped me to develop greater self-knowledge. It sounds trite but I firmly believe that you don't just learn by being successful and sometimes the best lessons come from our failures, not our successes.

I'd strongly recommend the book 'How to Fail: Everything I've Learned From Things Going Wrong' by Elizabeth Day for more on accepting (and learning from) 'failure'. There's also a great chapter in Zoe Ayres' 'Managing Your Mental Health During Your PhD' on life beyond the academy and on coming to terms with leaving a PhD programme. The final section of 'The Unruly PhD' by Rebecca Peabody also features first-hand accounts from people who opted to quit their PhD programmes.

In terms of what comes next, I think what you've proposed sounds eminently sensible. Find something that pays the bills and that will give you the time and space to step away and recover your mental wellbeing and your confidence. It doesn't have to be the forever job (although it's surprising where you can end up - one of my 'temporary' jobs led to an 11 year career!), just something that will tide you over and give you time to think about where to apply your skills and expertise. If you haven't already, consider speaking with the careers team at your university. Whilst you're still enrolled, they can offer support and guidance - and may be able to help you in the job hunt.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do in the future :smile:

Amy Louise
Student Ambassador, Keele University
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending