The Student Room Group

PhD vs work?

Im currently studying Electrical and Electronic engineering, and im on the MEng route. What are my options afterwards? is it better to go into industry/companies and start working or to do a PhD? I want to stay in the field of engineering and possibly work with the development of medical equipment, any ideas on what i can do?
Hi there,

A MEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering creates many opportunities and a diverse range of career paths for you.

Whether you choose to work in the indsutry or start a PhD depends on your personal career goals, interests and passion for research or application. For example, if you are passionate about the development of medical equipment and gaining industry experience, an internships could be more beneficial.

I would recommend reaching out to prefessional individuals in the medical engineering field, like your lecturers or mentors, who always stay updated on the latest technological advancements and opportunities.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by cakeofmilk
Im currently studying Electrical and Electronic engineering, and im on the MEng route. What are my options afterwards? is it better to go into industry/companies and start working or to do a PhD? I want to stay in the field of engineering and possibly work with the development of medical equipment, any ideas on what i can do?

Better for what end?

A PhD is an intensive, focused, niche research project. Unless you have a very specific idea of what you want to do research on and why when you are getting to apply to a PhD, it's probably not the best option.

If you are just looking to continue working in the engineering sector and have no specific interest or ideas about academic research, there's little reason not to just explore roles in industry which would be fairly typical for graduates.

Bear in mind the two are not mutually exclusive - you can do a PhD then go into industry, and you can go back and do a PhD after working in industry.
Original post by artful_lounger
Better for what end?
A PhD is an intensive, focused, niche research project. Unless you have a very specific idea of what you want to do research on and why when you are getting to apply to a PhD, it's probably not the best option.
If you are just looking to continue working in the engineering sector and have no specific interest or ideas about academic research, there's little reason not to just explore roles in industry which would be fairly typical for graduates.
Bear in mind the two are not mutually exclusive - you can do a PhD then go into industry, and you can go back and do a PhD after working in industry.

PRSOM

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Better for what end?

thanks for your reply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending