The Student Room Group

AJ's Spring 2023 Anime Preview

British Summer Time has begun, but we're still focusing on the Spring season here! And it feels I lost more than just an hour while putting this thread together... so let's not waste any more time on the intro, the fun stuff's in the expand tags below!

(These series are all due to start airing in the first few weeks of April. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

-

Alice Gear Aegis Expansion

Ao no Orchestra

Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' S2

Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu

Dead Mount Death Play

Dr. Stone: New World

Duel Masters Win: Wars-hen

It's always the children's card game anime that get announced super late, and with little to no info. :laugh: Haven't watched any previous Duel Masters series.

Edens Zero 2nd Season

Edomae Elf

Gunma-chan S2

Isekai de Cheat Skill wo Te ni Shita Ore wa, Genjitsu Sekai wo mo Musou Suru: Level Up wa Jinsei wo Kaeta

Isekai One Turn Kill Neesan: Ane Douhan no Isekai Seikatsu Hajimemashita

Isekai Shoukan wa Nidome desu

Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. 2

Jigokuraku

Jijou wo Shiranai Tenkousei ga Guigui Kuru.

Kaminaki Sekai no Kamisama Katsudou

Kanojo ga Koushaku-tei ni Itta Riyuu

Kawaisugi Crisis

Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo S2

Kimetsu no Yaiba: Katanakaji no Sato-hen

Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia

Kizuna no Allele

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo!

(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch!

Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers

Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi: Seiiki-hen

Mahoutsukai no Yome S2

Mashle

Megami no Café Terrace

Mix: Meisei Story - Nidome no Natsu, Sora no Mukou e

My Home Hero

Niehime to Kemono no Ou

Opus.COLORs

Oshi no Ko

Otonari ni Ginga

Ousama Ranking: Yuuki no Takarabako

Pokemon Horizons: The Series

Rokudou no Onna-tachi

Skip to Loafer

Tengoku Daimakyou

Tensei Kizoku no Isekai Boukenroku: Jichou wo Shiranai Kamigami no Shito

The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls: U149

The Marginal Service

Tokyo Mew Mew New ♡ S2

Tonikaku Kawaii S2

Tousouchuu: Great Mission

Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu!

World Dai Star

Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru

Yuusha ga Shinda!

-

All the info has been sourced from AniChart, AniDB, YouTube and MAL. If you think I've missed any upcoming full-length TV anime off this list, let me know and I'll look into them. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Picked up:

Tengoku Daimakyou

Jigokuraku

My Home Hero

Edomae Elf

Mashle

Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo S2

Dead Mount Death Play

Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia

Oshi no Ko

Ousama Ranking: Yuuki no Takarabako
(edited 11 months ago)
Replaced the trailer for Ousama Ranking with the English subbed Crunchyroll one:

Finally a thread about new animes. Keep it up, AJ! I would like to be up to date. :smile:
Original post by Kallisto
Finally a thread about new animes. Keep it up, AJ! I would like to be up to date. :smile:

Cheers! I left it a bit late this time, some of these series are starting this weekend. :colondollar:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Cheers! I left it a bit late this time, some of these series are starting this weekend. :colondollar:

I am late this time too and don't sweat it. The spring has just begun and there is still enough time to introduce new animes.
Added 'Duel Masters Win: Duel Wars-hen' to the list, not that there's much info out about it yet.
(edited 1 year ago)
@AngryJellyfish

Looks like that the new Pokemon series really begin with new characters and the protagonist Ash finally left. Despite these 26 years, he is still a child. As if the time stands still in the pokemon world. :colonhash:
(edited 1 year ago)
It begins!

Tengoku Daimakyou

This series focused on two different groups of characters; most of the focus was on a young boy named Maru and his bodyguard Kiruko, who are travelling post-apocalyptic Japan, in search of a place called 'Heaven'. Along the way, they loot crumbling houses that seem to have been abandoned for decades. When the two are threatened by another gang of humans, Kiruko reveals she has a deadly beam weapon, though one that needs regular battery charges. The other characters only featured briefly, but they live in a far more orderly school-like place, walled off from the dangerous outside world... though a girl named Tokio is curious about what's on the other side.

VERY intriguing start. The setting seemed normal (if derelict) at first, until the sci-fi gun moment, and it only got weirder from there, ending on one heck of a cliffhanger. Animation was fantastic, especially the backgrounds. I'm curious to learn more about what happened to their world, and to see what will happen when these two groups meet up.

Official Disney+ link: https://www.disneyplus.com/en-gb/series/tengoku-daimakyo/7hd7j6bmGOTg
(edited 1 year ago)
Jigokuraku (Hell's Paradise) [Content warning: explicit violence]

Gabimaru is a skilled shinobi, who was betrayed by his village chief. He now faces the death penalty, but despite his claims that he has no attachment to life and wants to die, all execution methods from beheading to boiling in oil fail to harm him. Frustrated, the magistrate takes him before the famed executioner and sword-tester Yamada Asaemon Sagiri, who sees through Gabimaru's act, and offers him the chance of a full pardon - all he has to do is travel to the land of Shinsenkyo, from which nobody has returned alive, and bring back the Elixir of Life. And he'll be competing with a bunch of other dangerous criminals, looking to take up the same offer!

A fantastic introductory episode, which did a great job introducing the characters and making me interested in Gabimaru's story. This is MAPPA's latest big budget shounen action series, so of course it looks and sounds incredible too. An early contender for anime of the season, for me!

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GJ0H7Q5ZJ/hells-paradise
(edited 1 year ago)
My Home Hero [Content warning: violence]

Tosu Tetsuo is a regular salaryman, who arranges to meet his adult daughter Reika at a family restaurant - but when Reika arrives, it is clear she has been beaten by someone. Suspecting her boyfriend, Tetsuo visits her house uninvited - and said boyfriend shows up. While hidden in the closet, Tetsuo overhears the man talking on the phone about how he's only in the relationship for Reika's grandparents' inheritance, and bragging about women he's killed in the past... so Tetsuo takes him by surprise and kills him. Shortly after, his wife arrives, and the two cover up the murder before Reika gets back. Trouble is, the (ex)boyfriend has close ties to the yakuza, who're already watching the family closely...

This is a much different story than I'm used to from anime: a thriller set in present-day Japan, with no sci-fi or magic, and a middle-aged protagonist who's gotten into a deadly situation, with no relevant skills or plan for what to do next. And his whole family are involved. Production values are noticeably lower than the other two series I've covered so far, but I'm already gripped.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GG5H5X389/my-home-hero
(edited 1 year ago)
Added Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi: Seiiki-hen!

First impressions posts *should* resume tomorrow, nothing much has aired over the last 2-3 days that interested me. :colondollar:
Time for my first sequel of the season! As usual, I'll keep my thoughts on these short to minimize spoilers. Chances are, if you've watched both previous series and the Ryuusui special, you'll already know if you want to continue with this. :tongue:

Senkuu and his companions continue to bring modern technology back to their post-apocalyptic stone age world! Their current goal is to travel to the other side of the world, to learn more about the petrifying beam that destroyed our civilisation. But on top of building a ship to get there, they need to develop non-perishable food for the journey. Let the agricultural revolution begin again! Very fun series, glad to have it back. :biggrin:

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GYEXQKJG6/dr-stone
(edited 1 year ago)
Edomae Elf (Otaku Elf)

400 years ago, an elf named Elda was summoned from another world, and enshrined as a goddess in the Takamimi shrine. And she's still there in the present day, unaging - though she's now a complete recluse after someone mocked her ears, and spends her time drinking Red Bull, playing console games and assembling plastic models! As a shrine maiden, schoolgirl Koganei Koito's duty is to cater to the elf's whims, while also ensuring that she doesn't shirk her ceremonial duties. Despite her withdrawn nature, the nearby residents all seem to like Elda, seeing her as a constant presence in an otherwise ever-changing world.

My lineup for this season is full of action, drama and plot-driven series. I need at least one fluffy comedic show to vary things a bit, and while I don't yet know if this'll be the best one on offer, I'm already enjoying Elda and Koito's relationship and interactions. Nice music, animation and overall atmosphere. Think I'll keep watching! :biggrin:

Official HIDIVE link: https://www.hidive.com/tv/otaku-elf
Mashle

The series is set in a world where magic exists, where people's skills and ability to wield it determine their social status - and where those with no magical ability at all are eliminated. Mash Burnedead is one such person, who lives in hiding with his father, training his body for self-defence purposes. One day, Mash heads into the city alone against his father's wishes, but immediately stands out as a non-magic user due to the lack of mark on his face. The magic police track him back to his home... and he promptly defeats them, using muscle power to deflect their spells! They eventually strike a deal: To protect his father, Mash must now enrol in a magical school, and rise to be its #1 pupil.

I love this series' goofy deadpan humour, very reminiscent of One-Punch Man. Mash seems like a lovable idiot, and should make for a great protagonist. I'm a bit more hesitant about the magical school setting, which we didn't get to see in this introductory ep, hope it won't be too Harry Potter-esque. Animation was fantastic, and the music is really fun, especially the ending theme!

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GDKHZEP8W/mashle-magic-and-muscles
(edited 1 year ago)

S2 continued straight on from where S1 left off, which was literally in the middle of a golf game - no closure then, no recap now! Bit disorienting, especially since this sequel aired later than planned. But, the return of Eve and Aoi is much appreciated! This ep featured more special abilities, definitely not a sports anime that strives for realism, but that's exactly what appeals to me.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GNVHKN714/birdie-wing--golf-girls-story-
@AngryJellyfish

I am just here for an update of yourself: did you already watch some animes they please or don't please with your expectations?
Original post by Kallisto
@AngryJellyfish

I am just here for an update of yourself: did you already watch some animes they please or don't please with your expectations?

Almost everything that I've watched so far has lived up to my expectations! Jigokuraku especially seems brilliant.

If I have any complaint, it's that I wish My Home Hero had the same production values as the other anime I've picked up so far. It's definitely got the most interesting premise of the season, but the animation wasn't great, and the dialogue felt a bit weak in places.
(edited 1 year ago)
Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo S2 (Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury S2) [Content warning: explicit violence]

After the way the first part ended, I was surprised to see it jump straight back (well, after a few quick duel montages, anyway) into happy school fun time, with the attack completely covered up. But the two new transfer students didn't play nice for long, shaking things up in the second half! And we've yet to see Suletta and Miorine's first meeting after the event either - plenty to look forward to in future eps.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G79H2307W/mobile-suit-gundam-the-witch-from-mercury
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest