The Student Room Group

What's the most effective revision method?

Poll

What's the most effective revision method?

Spring is here! And what better way to celebrate some nicer weather than by revising for exams? :headfire:

Everyone learns differently and the most effective revision method for you can change depending on your subjects - you could even switch between multiple methods to stop yourself getting bored.

It's worth finding the right technique for you, as you could end up finding it a lot easier to remember everything in the exam hall.

But which revision method works best for you? Let us know :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Vic Vinegar
Spring is here! And what better way to celebrate some nicer weather than by revising for exams? :headfire:

Everyone learns differently and the most effective revision method for you can change depending on your subjects - you could even switch between multiple methods to stop yourself getting bored.

It's worth finding the right technique for you, as you could end up finding it a lot easier to remember everything in the exam hall.

But which revision method works best for you? Let us know :smile:

I'm taking IAL Math, Physics and Psychology this year.

I tend to spam past papers once I have a strong foundation on the content.
Before that, tutorials, revision, class notes, and some exam questions on specific topics. Textbook questions can also help, especially for weak areas.
(edited 1 year ago)
There is no one "most effective" revision method, as different methods work better for different people and different subjects. However, there are some techniques that I found to be most helpful:

Active recall: This involves actively trying to remember information rather than just reading it. Practice retrieving information from memory, such as through flashcards, quizzes, or practice questions.

Spaced repetition: This involves spacing out your revision sessions over time, rather than cramming all at once. This helps with retention and long-term memory.

Interleaving: This involves mixing up different topics or subjects during revision sessions. This helps prevent boredom and promotes better long-term retention of the material.

Practice tests (if you can get them): This involves taking practice tests or quizzes to assess your understanding and identify areas of weakness. Can help you focus your revision efforts on the areas that need the most improvement.

Personal choice: Teaching someone else.
Teaching someone else is powerful because it requires you to explain concepts in your own words and in a way that is understandable to others. This helps you see any gaps in your own understanding and solidifies your knowledge of the material.

It reinforces your own learning: When you teach someone else, you are forced to think about the material in a more structured way. This helps you consolidate your own understanding and remember the information better.

It helps you identify gaps in your knowledge: When you try to explain a concept to someone else, you may find that you struggle to articulate certain aspects of it. This can help you identify areas that you need to revise and improve upon.

It boosts your confidence: When you successfully teach someone else, it can be a confidence boost. This can help you feel more prepared and confident when it comes to exams or assessments.

It provides an opportunity for feedback: When you teach someone, they may ask questions or provide feedback on your explanations. This can help you identify any misunderstandings or misconceptions that you may have.
Smacking my head against a brick wall generally does the job.
personally working in a mix of stuff is the best way rather than only doing a single type of revision. eg. ill watch a video on a topic, make and do some flashcards, and then do practice questions
Personally I've found that any act of physically writing information down helps to absorb it - so practicing exam questions, past papers, writing flashcards, etc. Simply reading from a book isn't enough for me.

Rewriting key points of information into your own words, as simply as possible, helps to wrap your head around more complex concepts.

Also, using some nice stationery, different coloured highlighters etc, and sticking your notes up somewhere you can review them frequently can help to inspire interest, especially for subjects that might not necessarily be our favourite!
Original post by justlearning1469
I'm taking IAL Math, Physics and Psychology this year.

I tend to spam past papers once I have a strong foundation on the content.
Before that, tutorials, revision, class notes, and some exam questions on specific topics. Textbook questions can also help, especially for weak areas.

Sounds like a great system :smile:
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Smacking my head against a brick wall generally does the job.

Haha can't argue with that method
Original post by izzy4509x
personally working in a mix of stuff is the best way rather than only doing a single type of revision. eg. ill watch a video on a topic, make and do some flashcards, and then do practice questions

Yeah I agree - it helps to keep things fresh
Original post by EarlyGrey
Personally I've found that any act of physically writing information down helps to absorb it - so practicing exam questions, past papers, writing flashcards, etc. Simply reading from a book isn't enough for me.

Rewriting key points of information into your own words, as simply as possible, helps to wrap your head around more complex concepts.

Also, using some nice stationery, different coloured highlighters etc, and sticking your notes up somewhere you can review them frequently can help to inspire interest, especially for subjects that might not necessarily be our favourite!

It's so hard revising for subjects that aren't favourites - that's a great idea :smile:
Original post by Vic Vinegar
Sounds like a great system :smile:

Haha can't argue with that method

Yeah I agree - it helps to keep things fresh

It's so hard revising for subjects that aren't favourites - that's a great idea :smile:

If there's time then some enrichment to deepen my knowledge of the subject (especially for surprise A* questions, you may need more problem-solving).

For subjects that aren't favourites: get them to the level you need, and then spend the other time focusing on other subjects.
I find that the day before the exam (unless its english), look through all the past papers, EVERY SINGLE ONE. Bullet point all the topics that come up that you know you won't be able to answer / is difficult for you, then order it by its frequency, so if you don't have enough time, do the high-frequency topics. Practise each topic by doing questions or flashcards ( i find 'teaching' them to someone else works) and cross out each topic you've done. The next morning, try to practise some more on the way to school, so you're nice and ready!
I found past papers helpful for maths and science and flash cards/mindmaps helpful for the likes of English and geog
Reply 10
my computig teacher did not teach me one thing so I was left all alone in year 11, what I did was I bought a computing revision note passport with all the info and learnt that- i learned everything from it and it was so helpful- I got an A* (grade 9) in that subject- does anyone want the link to it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending